+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

University of Victoria (Uvic) Fall 2020

lep

Dec 23, 2019
Animesh, lep-
My friend asked me the other day the rakings for cybersecurity programs in Canada? I wasnt sure how they were all ranked. You guys know?
First of all I don't see many university having programs focus on cybersecurity and I learned that the education quality between public schools in CA are quite similar (not like the US where The Ivy Colleges are outstanding), hence I dont care much about the ranking. My option is mostly based on the curriculum and practical factors like capstones or coop.
I also noticed that there are many universities are well known in this field located in Montreal. Beside, UBC has a strong CTF Team even when they don't have program focus on cybersec
FYI:
Universities in Motreal: https://northerncoalition.github.io/
UBC team: https://ubcctf.github.io/

scaria197

Star Member
Jun 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Bufallo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-06-2010
Doc's Request.
Waiting
AOR Received.
Waiting
IELTS Request
Scheduled
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
First of all I don't see many university having programs focus on cybersecurity and I learned that the education quality between public schools in CA are quite similar (not like the US where The Ivy Colleges are outstanding), hence I dont care much about the ranking. My option is mostly based on the curriculum and practical factors like capstones or coop.
I also noticed that there are many universities are well known in this field located in Montreal. Beside, UBC has a strong CTF Team even when they don't have program focus on cybersec
FYI:
Universities in Motreal: https://northerncoalition.github.io/
UBC team: https://ubcctf.github.io/
Thanks lep.makes sense. Does one get a 1 yr study permit with the uvic program? Is there a separte permit needed for coop?

lep

Dec 23, 2019
Thanks lep.makes sense. Does one get a 1 yr study permit with the uvic program? Is there a separte permit needed for coop?
Yes. You need other permit for coop. And also need to extend study permit for taking coop bcz 1 yr is just for academic terms

scaria197

Star Member
Jun 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Bufallo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-06-2010
Doc's Request.
Waiting
AOR Received.
Waiting
IELTS Request
Scheduled
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
Yes. You need other permit for coop. And also need to extend study permit for taking coop bcz 1 yr is just for academic terms
Thanks Lep. So we get a 1 yr study permit if approved?

lep

Dec 23, 2019
Yes it is, and it can be extend later. I emailed to Uvic to ask about co-op option. Here is their reply:
"For the question about needing a co-op work permit, you can" say “no” for now because Co-op program is optional for all graduate programs, but can be opted in later. If you do plan to opt the co-op into your program, you will be able to apply for a co-op work permit later. A co-op work permit is always free of charge and only students with co-op requirement can make the application."

kraghupati

Jun 24, 2016
@scaria197 How long did your application take to get approved? My application has been under Graduate Office review for almost a month now. Two days back they requested for another document. What is your profile, just for me to compare with mine and know the probability of getting an admit. Also I have heard that visa at age of 35 is difficult to get even if my sole purpose is to grow academically, any idea on that?

scaria197

Star Member
Jun 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Bufallo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-06-2010
Doc's Request.
Waiting
AOR Received.
Waiting
IELTS Request
Scheduled
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
@scaria197 How long did your application take to get approved? My application has been under Graduate Office review for almost a month now. Two days back they requested for another document. What is your profile, just for me to compare with mine and know the probability of getting an admit. Also I have heard that visa at age of 35 is difficult to get even if my sole purpose is to grow academically, any idea on that?
Hi kraghupati,
I applied in November and was offered in Feb. I dont think age matters but only time will tell- I will apply in the next few weeks. I am an IT Manager.

kraghupati

Jun 24, 2016
Hi kraghupati,
I applied in November and was offered in Feb. I dont think age matters but only time will tell- I will apply in the next few weeks. I am an IT Manager.
3 months is a very long time. Then I wouldn’t have enough time to apply for visa as I am based in UAE and cannot apply for Fast track visa. Any idea what is the recommenced finance to show apart from fees and annual expense? My dad is retired, would it be a problem if he is my sponsor as I haven’t saved enough over the years.

scaria197

Star Member
Jun 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Bufallo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-06-2010
Doc's Request.
Waiting
AOR Received.
Waiting
IELTS Request
Scheduled
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
3 months is a very long time. Then I wouldn’t have enough time to apply for visa as I am based in UAE and cannot apply for Fast track visa. Any idea what is the recommenced finance to show apart from fees and annual expense? My dad is retired, would it be a problem if he is my sponsor as I haven’t saved enough over the years.
Likely it will be quicker for you as the deadline soon. I believe you need to show fees and living expenses. Should be a problem on funds if you can prove source of funds. Do you have any dependents applying for a visq as well?

scaria197

Star Member
Jun 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Bufallo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-06-2010
Doc's Request.
Waiting
AOR Received.
Waiting
IELTS Request
Scheduled
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
Likely it will be quicker for you as the deadline soon. I believe you need to show fees and living expenses. Should be a problem on funds if you can prove source of funds. Do you have any dependents applying for a visq as well?
also I believe you dont need medical as you from UAE.

deeve

Feb 5, 2020
4 terms = 2 years. So if we do one co-op term or more, we would be eligible for a 3 year post-graduation work permit. Btw, I have also got into MTIS for Fall 2020. However, I decided to defer my entry to January 2021. I applied for my study permit on March 8th from India, but haven't got my visa yet!