+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

University Change - Visa Procedure

santoshsuri

Jan 13, 2009
Hi,

I am from India and I have got admission to Concordia university for my MBA and plan to apply for the visa using the offer letter provided by Concordia University. There is a chance next month for me to be offered admission by McGill, which is my preferred university for MBA. Now if I apply for my visa using Concordia offer letter and later decide to join McGill what would be the procedure for the change of college in the Visa. Who do I contact to make such a change ?

PS: I will not be able to wait for McGill to get back to me and then apply for Visa as it would become very late to apply by then.
Regards..

eduardoF

Oct 15, 2008
the only related info I could find about this was here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/study/study-faq13.asp

but that doesn't quite apply since you aren't in Canada yet.

I suggest you contact the consulate/visa office and ask them how to proceed. Alternatively, you can contact McGill and ask them to speed up things...

Since you will have the admission letter from Concordia, in principle you could apply with that. Once you arrive in Canada, you'll tell the Immigration Officer at the airport that after your visa was granted, you were admitted to another university, and you decided to go there instead. Then it's up to the IO to decide whether or not to give you a study permit. Again, in principle, it should not be a problem. but ask the consulate, just to be sure. the study visa and the study permit are two different things. the study visa basically means "you are allowed to go to Canada and ask for a study permit at the airport". The study permit is what actually allows you to study there.

I was in a similar situation when I applied, except that I didn't really have a preference, so I just took the first offer.

ask the consulate.