+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Unforeseen Dependants: Sponsorship

Shegotmail

Apr 19, 2017
Hi everyone,

I just picked up my passport today. I, however, am a little worried.

So I'm reading the 'Dear Applicant' letter and I get to a paragraph which says:

"...Any current family member not examined now can never be sponsored by you in the future..."

My parents are close to 70years old and I've been an only child up until 6 years ago. My little sister is 6 and my little brother is 4. My parents though getting old can provide for them, I, however, want to be able to give them a better education when my parents can't run around in their 80's. They (the kids) and my parents will eventually be my dependants in the very near future.

My question: Does the paragraph in the letter accompanying my passport stop me from sponsoring my brother and sister in the future? I'd like to start their own move once I settle down with a good job.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts as I'm a little worried.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone,

"...Any current family member not examined now can never be sponsored by you in the future..."

My parents are close to 70years old and I've been an only child up until 6 years ago. My little sister is 6 and my little brother is 4. My parents though getting old can provide for them, I, however, want to be able to give them a better education when my parents can't run around in their 80's. They (the kids) and my parents will eventually be my dependants in the very near future.

My question: Does the paragraph in the letter accompanying my passport stop me from sponsoring my brother and sister in the future? I'd like to start their own move once I settle down with a good job.

Your parents, brother and sister are not classified as dependents - they do not need to be medically examined.

To sponsor your parents, you'll need to meet the minimum income requirements from a job in Canada for three years in a row and then enter the sponsorship lottery and hope you are selected. Your siblings can be included in that application provided they are under 22 and not married / not in a common law relationship. You cannot sponsor your siblings for PR directly as long as either one of your parents is still alive.

Shegotmail

Apr 19, 2017
Your parents, brother and sister are not classified as dependents - they do not need to be medically examined.

To sponsor your parents, you'll need to meet the minimum income requirements from a job in Canada for three years in a row and then enter the sponsorship lottery and hope you are selected. Your siblings can be included in that application provided they are under 22 and not married / not in a common law relationship. You cannot sponsor your siblings for PR directly as long as either one of your parents is still alive.
Thanks, Scylla.

I appreciate your comments. Just so I clearly understand:

1. My folks and siblings are not dependants.
2. I can only sponsor my parents by having a certain level of income for 3 straight years in Canada.
3. I can only sponsor my siblings through my parents.
4. I can only sponsor my underage siblings directly if any or both parents are deceased.

Am I correct?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks, Scylla.

I appreciate your comments. Just so I clearly understand:

1. My folks and siblings are not dependants.
2. I can only sponsor my parents by having a certain level of income for 3 straight years in Canada.
3. I can only sponsor my siblings through my parents.
4. I can only sponsor my underage siblings directly if any or both parents are deceased.

Am I correct?
Correct. For #2, your income will have to meet the low income requirement for at least five people (you, your parents, your siblings) to qualify to enter the sponsorship lottery (this assumes you have no spouse or children of your own).

Reactions: Shegotmail

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Am I correct?
With the exception of 3, yes. If you were to sponsor your parents, and your siblings are under 22 and still dependents, they would be included in your parents application as their dependents. You don’t actually sponsor them directly in that situation.

Shegotmail

Apr 19, 2017
Thank
With the exception of 3, yes. If you were to sponsor your parents, and your siblings are under 22 and still dependents, they would be included in your parents application as their dependents. You don’t actually sponsor them directly in that situation.
Thank you Buletruck and Scylla. I really appreciate your prompt responses. I'll let my parents know this.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Wow so your parents had 2 kids while both in their 60s?

Also as mentioned all this does is qualify you to enter a lottery to sponsor your parents. If you aren't selected in a given year, you need to apply to lottery the next year and hope you're picked.

If you are single (no spouse and no kids yourself) then your family size is you + 2 parents + 2 dependents = 5 people. This would require 3 years of Canadian tax returns in the $68,000 range (increases a bit every year). If you get married or have your own kids in the next 3 years, this will increase your income required (approx $10K more for every new family member). Since 2018 you may not meet income requirement due to only a partial year in Canada, then if you get a decent job and meet income in 2019, 2020 and 2021 you can possilbly enter the parents lottery in January 2022.

The government has changed the parents sponsorship program multiple times in the past decade, so really who knows what it will look like in 4 years or so when you may be qualified to apply.

Also note that all parents and their dependents must pass a medical exam. So if any of them have a medical condition that may be deemed an excessive demand on Canadian healthcare, then the entire application would be rejected for everyone.

As I warn anyone thinking of immigrating, due to the unknown nature of how parents sponsorship lottery will evolve and what the odds will be, and unexpected medical conditions that may arise going forward as parents age, you need to prepare for a possible scenario you will never be able to sponsor your parents and siblings to Canada ever.

Shegotmail

Apr 19, 2017
Wow so your parents had 2 kids while both in their 60s?

Also as mentioned all this does is qualify you to enter a lottery to sponsor your parents. If you aren't selected in a given year, you need to apply to lottery the next year and hope you're picked.

If you are single (no spouse and no kids yourself) then your family size is you + 2 parents + 2 dependents = 5 people. This would require 3 years of Canadian tax returns in the $68,000 range (increases a bit every year). If you get married or have your own kids in the next 3 years, this will increase your income required (approx $10K more for every new family member). Since 2018 you may not meet income requirement due to only a partial year in Canada, then if you get a decent job and meet income in 2019, 2020 and 2021 you can possilbly enter the parents lottery in January 2022.

The government has changed the parents sponsorship program multiple times in the past decade, so really who knows what it will look like in 4 years or so when you may be qualified to apply.

Also note that all parents and their dependents must pass a medical exam. So if any of them have a medical condition that may be deemed an excessive demand on Canadian healthcare, then the entire application would be rejected for everyone.

As I warn anyone thinking of immigrating, due to the unknown nature of how parents sponsorship lottery will evolve and what the odds will be, and unexpected medical conditions that may arise going forward as parents age, you need to prepare for a possible scenario you will never be able to sponsor your parents and siblings to Canada ever.

Sounds like doomsday :(

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone,

Given the ages of your parents and siblings, I assume they are adopted? If so, you need to make sure that the legal adoption process was followed and is fully recognized in both your country and Canada. Otherwise, they will not be considered your legal siblings.

Reactions: Shegotmail

Chackara

Mar 10, 2018
I am currently sponsering my wife and was wondering in maybe 2- to 5 years after my wife comes if she wants to bring her parents can she do that ?

Can she sponser her parents to canada ? so she can be close to them

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am currently sponsering my wife and was wondering in maybe 2- to 5 years after my wife comes if she wants to bring her parents can she do that ?

If you meet the income requirements and if you are selected through the lottery - then yes.

The parents will also have to pass a medical to be approved.

Shegotmail

Apr 19, 2017
Given the ages of your parents and siblings, I assume they are adopted? If so, you need to make sure that the legal adoption process was followed and is fully recognized in both your country and Canada. Otherwise, they will not be considered your legal siblings.
Yes, they are. Gosh! Can the hurdles get any 'worser'?

The proper legal processes were followed. But since I have to apply through my parents who have enough equity to sustain them irrespective of my earnings, then hopefully, the requirements will lessen.

immigrant7

Aug 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-MAY-2012
AOR Received.
27-AUG-2012
IELTS Request
With Application
File Transfer...
27-AUG-2012
Med's Request
29-OCT-2012
Med's Done....
05-NOV-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-SEP-2013
VISA ISSUED...
10-OCT-2013
LANDED..........
19-OCT-2013
My belief is , after the undertaking period (which is 36 months), she is OK to sponsor her dependants.
Seniors can correct me, if I'm wrong.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Yes, they are. Gosh! Can the hurdles get any 'worser'?

The proper legal processes were followed. But since I have to apply through my parents who have enough equity to sustain them irrespective of my earnings, then hopefully, the requirements will lessen.
Your parents earnings are not relevant. You alone (or combined with your spouse) must meet the income requirements to sponsor them.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
My belief is , after the undertaking period (which is 36 months), she is OK to sponsor her dependants.
Seniors can correct me, if I'm wrong.
The 3 years undertaking doesn't apply to sponsoring parents. A new PR can sponsor their parents immediately as long as their spouse meets the Canadian income requirement.