+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Unfair CIC grading

Arshan

Jun 14, 2017
I believe that CIC has an impotent and unfair grid in terms of assessing your ties to Canada. There are societies and cultures around the world that recognize cousins as much closer relatives rather than someone who just married or lives with your aunt or uncle!!! Bizzare!!

This is ridiculous that you get 5 points for your "uncle or aunt -in-law" and zero points for your cousins, no matter how many of them you have inside Canada. They could at least grade this damn relation from zero to five, not just zero OR five. God knows to what extent these guys had been deranged when enforcing these crazy rules.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Whatever other societies and cultures around the world recognise is really not relevant given it is what is recognised in Canada as a close relative same as would be the other way around with what would not be recognised in your home country but be acceptable in Canada.

Realise that you are venting some anger at the process but there has to be a cut off point where the qualification stops else could in theory have some ranking going beyond cousins such as cousins children and so on.

Arshan

Jun 14, 2017
But it still does not justify not to grade from zero TO five. If in your view this is a cutural thing, what would you say if I say I have one year of full time study inside Canada, getting no points for that, while i just lack 1 point to 67 pass mark!! Then if it was 2 years i would get 5 points. This is never fair.

Last edited:
Reactions: kuskus

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
But it still does not justify not to grade from zero TO five. If in your view this is a cutural thing, what would you say if I say I have one year of full time study inside Canada, getting no points for that, while i just lack 1 point to 67 pass mark!! Then if it was 2 years i would get 5 points. This is never fair.
The points allocation system is constantly being reviewed and you are just unfortunate to not benefit from the current grid values. Some modifications have already been made since it was first introduced, mostly in response to stakeholder input. No doubt that it will adapt further over time but for now, it is what it is...

You will notice that within the listed relationships, there is a maximum of 2 hops between the applicant and the relative. A cousin would be 3 hops.

Last edited: