+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Undertaking/financial support

John Ey

Oct 22, 2017
can someone explain this to me? I do not understand this concept. If I sponsor someone am I still allowed to receive social assistance, for example if I lose my job and apply for employment insurance? Also, the last section is strange. If the other person moves to another country the undertaking is not cancelled. So hypothetical situation if the relationship falls apart, spouse moves back to home country, the sponsor is still obligated to give them financial support in what way? And under what jurisdiction?

"When you agree to sponsor, you sign an undertaking, promising to give financial support for the basic needs of the people you’re sponsoring, and any of their dependent children.

Before signing the undertaking agreement, you should make sure that those you sponsor won’t need to ask the government for financial help. If they receive social assistance, you’ll need to pay back what they received during the time you are legally responsible for them. You won’t be able to sponsor anyone else until you have repaid the amount.

The undertaking is a binding promise of support, meaning that it is your responsibility to support the applicant(s) for the length of the undertaking period even if your situation changes. For example, the undertaking won’t be cancelled even if:

• the person you are sponsoring becomes a Canadian citizen
  • you become divorced, separated or your relationship with the sponsored person breaks down
  • you or the person you sponsor moves to another province or country
  • you have financial problems
"

John013

Jun 17, 2017
The Netherlands
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
29-05-2017
AOR Received.
27-06-2017
File Transfer...
03-07-2017
Med's Request
02-11-2017
Med's Done....
06-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
31-08-2018
LANDED..........
06-10-2018
You will only be responsible to take care of him/her while he/she is in Canada, they cant force you to pay for their upkeep if they decide to move abroad. But if the relationship breaks down and the sponsored person goes on social assistance then yes you have to pay the government back that money.

Reactions: scylla

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
can someone explain this to me? I do not understand this concept. If I sponsor someone am I still allowed to receive social assistance, for example if I lose my job and apply for employment insurance? Also, the last section is strange. If the other person moves to another country the undertaking is not cancelled. So hypothetical situation if the relationship falls apart, spouse moves back to home country, the sponsor is still obligated to give them financial support in what way? And under what jurisdiction?

"When you agree to sponsor, you sign an undertaking, promising to give financial support for the basic needs of the people you’re sponsoring, and any of their dependent children.

Before signing the undertaking agreement, you should make sure that those you sponsor won’t need to ask the government for financial help. If they receive social assistance, you’ll need to pay back what they received during the time you are legally responsible for them. You won’t be able to sponsor anyone else until you have repaid the amount.

The undertaking is a binding promise of support, meaning that it is your responsibility to support the applicant(s) for the length of the undertaking period even if your situation changes. For example, the undertaking won’t be cancelled even if:

• the person you are sponsoring becomes a Canadian citizen
  • you become divorced, separated or your relationship with the sponsored person breaks down
  • you or the person you sponsor moves to another province or country
  • you have financial problems
"
EI is not welfare.

The undertaking means that if the person that you sponsored goes on welfare at any time during the 3 years, you are required to pay back the government in full.

The statement about the person moving simply means that the move doesn't cancel the undertaking. If the person returns within the 3 years and claims welfare, you are still on the hook.

Reactions: John013 and scylla