Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
@legalfalcon your post is very informative. Thank you. Though your post answers the question I have. I would like to put forward my situation and it would be great if you can advice.

My position as of November 22, 2018

Landed on August 4, 2018 with my wife.
Applied to more that 20 jobs so far, 1 interview. (don't have excel sheet of jobs applied but I can check my sent items and make one)
Did Skills for employment and Job finding club for 6 and 3 weeks respectively.
Attended job fairs, did networking with professionals in my field (NOC 1123) and tried other things.
While networking on Linkedin I contacted an old client in BC for whom I worked from my country back in 2013-16.
And surprisingly I got a job offer from him and now I want to explore what should I do that I can move there legally/ without affecting my future PR status.
I am currently doing survival job with a restaurant for over a month as I have exhausted almost all the money I brought from my country.

I appreciate your time.
Thank you.
No one is going to come after you if you move out of the nominating province. The constitution gives you mobility rights to move to any part of Canada as a PR. However, since you are nominated by a Province you also have a contractual obligation. As long as you can demonstrate that you did your best to find a job, or a job you found paid you much less than that available in another province, you can move out.

There is no threshold or a minimum requirement you have to meet, rather it is a subjective test.

camwinter

Nov 9, 2016
On a similar vein, would anyone know if there are any restrictions of continuing in the same NOC after receiving the PR (by means of PNP)?
I have been looking for a job in NOC 1112, but after 6/8 months have had no luck. Since I also have a background in life science, I'm considering going in for MSc/ Phd in this...

Reactions: Johnny Ghaddar

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
On a similar vein, would anyone know if there are any restrictions of continuing in the same NOC after receiving the PR (by means of PNP)?
I have been looking for a job in NOC 1112, but after 6/8 months have had no luck. Since I also have a background in life science, I'm considering going in for MSc/ Phd in this...
No restrictions on what employment you choose to take up. The ONLY issue is with misrepresentation of intent to settle in the nominating province...

camwinter

Nov 9, 2016
No restrictions on what employment you choose to take up. The ONLY issue is with misrepresentation of intent to settle in the nominating province...
Thank you for your response! So from this, if I understand correctly, within the province I was nominated, I can switch over to another field of work and study?!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thank you for your response! So from this, if I understand correctly, within the province I was nominated, I can switch over to another field of work and study?!
Yes. That's correct.

Reactions: camwinter

Shruvn

Dec 22, 2018
Hi ,

My CRS score is 375 ,which I know is not competitive but my question is how can I improve my score and what are the chances of getting PNP for an Indian Lawyer like me with 13 yrs of work experience?

Thanks in advance for your valuable reply.

kaavya21

Jan 7, 2018
One of the most frequently asked question I get is, can an applicant who applied under the PNP, or was given a Provincial nomination move out of the Province of his nomination. And if he can, under what circumstances and what is the procedure.

To answer this question, we need to understand the PR status and then dwell into the PNP program.

1. Understanding Permanent Resident status:

When your PR application is approved, a COPR issued, and a visa stamped in your passport, you are all ready to become a Canadian Permanent Resident. You will become a Permanent Resident as soon as you land in Canada and complete the formalities of getting the COPR stamped, your data entered in the system, and the CSBA officer allowing you to enter Canada as a PR.

Upon becoming a PR, you get all rights under the Canadian Constitution that as a Canadian Citizen has, except the right to vote and run for office. As a PR you may not be eligible for high level security clearance to work for jobs in intelligence, but apart from that, you can work for the government.

One of the many rights a PR would get is called the “Mobility Right.” Section 6 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, which is the same as the fundamental rights or bill of rights in other countries states:

6. (1) Every citizen of Canada has the right to enter, remain in and leave Canada.
(2) Every citizen of Canada and every person who has the status of a permanent resident of Canada has the right
a) to move to and take up residence in any province; and
b) to pursue the gaining of a livelihood in any province.
(3) The rights specified in subsection (2) are subject to
a) any laws or practices of general application in force in a province other than those that discriminate among persons primarily on the basis of province of present or previous residence; and
b) any laws providing for reasonable residency requirements as a qualification for the receipt of publicly provided social services.​
(4) Subsections (2) and (3) do not preclude any law, program or activity that has as its object the amelioration in a province of conditions of individuals in that province who are socially or economically disadvantaged if the rate of employment in that province is below the rate of employment in Canada.

If you carefully read Section 6(2), you will understand that as a PR, you have the right to move and settle in any part of Canada, including Quebec. Even if you mentioned in your application that you want to settle in Ontario and then changed your mind to settle in Montreal, you can do that as a FSW.

This is your fundamental right, which is guaranteed by the Canadian Constitution. As a PR, you don’t have to inform any authority on your intent to move, including the Province you are moving out of, or the Province you are moving to.

2. Understanding your obligation as a PNP nominee

When you filled your form for the PR, you were asked about your interest to reside in different provinces. Alternatively, you may have sent a letter of interest (“LOI”) to the province communicating your interest in moving to that province. It was in consideration of this Interest that you communicated, and having satisfied the Provincial nominee program requirements, the Province issued you a nomination, which gave you an additional 600 points.

It is important to understand that while Immigration is a federal subject, on which the federal government has complete control, the federal government has given certain privileges to Provinces to attract prospective immigrants to those provinces. PNP, is a part of that deal. However, even when a province nominates a prospective immigrant, it is the federal government through IRCC, which will make a final decision in whether to approve it or not.

There has been a case where a province nominated an applicant, but the IRCC refused his application citing concerns on his intent to settle in that province. The court held that it was the sole prerogative of the IRCC to make a decision and the Province can only nominate, but not have a final say on whom to admit and whom not to. This is why IRCC will ask for settlement plans from some PNP applicants to ensure that they are not using PNP as a means to seek in. (See Deol v. Canada (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration), 2013 FC 1147; and Noreen v. Canada (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration), 2013 FC 1169).

Now the important part
- Section 6(3)(a) & (b) are subject to certain regulations and laws, and one of the most important is Provincial Nominee Program. Section 6(3)(a) & (b) create several limits to mobility rights. Laws requiring reasonable residence periods in order to qualify for social service programs, laws that do not discriminate on the basis of province of previous or present residence, and laws designed to improve conditions in areas of Canada with lower than average employment rates, are all exempted from the mobility rights guarantee in section 6. In other words, these types of provisions can infringe mobility rights, without being unconstitutional. Additionally, a law that is not saved by section 6(3) or (4) may be saved by analysis under section 1 of the Charter as being demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society. Until now there has been no case that I have come across dealing with the mobility rights and PNP. If you know of any, please let me know.

This mandates that an immigrant who immigrated under the PNP should remain in the province which nominated him for about 2 years to show his intention. This number is no where in the law, but reading the immigration laws and regulations, this is what people have derived. Even though an immigrant may have become a PR, he is subject to the limitations under Section 6(3)(a) & (b). While the law remains ambiguous, the more provinces are reporting PNP applicants who do not reside in the Province of nomination.

In the case of individuals where indications at the Port of Entry (POE) are that they no longer intend to reside in the nominating province/territory, they may be reported under section A44(1) for non-compliance with paragraph 87(2)(b) of the IRPR. At worst, where it becomes evident that an individual never intended to reside in the nominating province or territory, this could give rise to an allegation of misrepresentation, pursuant to paragraph 40(1)(a) of the IRPA. In the case few months some Provinces have been very actively pursuing this part and reporting immigrants. When reported for misrepresentation, the PR status can be cancelled and the applicant deported.

3. Does this mean that the PNP applicant can not leave the Province?

By moving to another province right after you get your immigrant status, your intentions may be questioned and you may be reported for misrepresentation. Here are a few things that you can do before you decide to leave the province that nominated you:

a. Actively look for other jobs within the nominating province.
b. Properly document your job hunting activities including the results for each job that you applied for.
c. Exhaust all means of finding employment inside the province.

If you don’t get job offers or if you’re offered a job but the offer you’re getting out of the province is for a higher position and for a significantly higher pay, then your move is justified. If you have these documented, your move to another Province would be justified and if questioned, you will have all the documents that you tried.

I hope this helps you understand what the PR status is, the mobility rights and your obligation under the PNP.

Your thoughts are welcome and if any of you has experience with the PNP, or would like to add, please do so.

My friend submitted PR application based on PNP received in Vancour its still in process n did not get a decision on that yet.. my friend got engaged but fiance works in Toronto n get good pay over there, she want to move to Toronto n find a job there.. what are the complications she can see
1)If She moves before receiving a decision on PR
2) Wait till she gets PR do a landing in vancour apply for PR card n then move to Toronto..
3) How can a province know if we moved out of the province ?
4) If fiance decided to move to my province along with me to n dosent find an appropriate job that pays more than current one, can we have those proofs in hand n show as a reason to move out of province
5) after receiving PR card should we notify province about moving out of province.

ashenne

Sep 11, 2013
Hi there, i got my PR through pnp saskatchewan.. the thing is i have a long time bf/partber who works in alberta and now he is asking me to move with him.. i just got my PR 2months ago.. do you guys think there will be an issue if i move to alberta?

palaksethi64

Feb 1, 2019
Hi ,

I immigrated to Canada in 2018 March through Ontario Provincial Nominee Program . In March i will complete one year of staying and working working in Ontario. I am currently employed with an Indian based MNC whose project was going on in Ontario. But now my project is going to end in Ontario. So my company has another project going on in Calgary, Alberta which i intend to join. Will i be violating any laws if i migrate to Calgary for now and join other project from the same company . But again i wish to come back to Toronto to settle down after a year , maybe.

iman_snake

Jun 29, 2017
One of the most frequently asked question I get is, can an applicant who applied under the PNP, or was given a Provincial nomination move out of the Province of his nomination. And if he can, under what circumstances and what is the procedure.

To answer this question, we need to understand the PR status and then dwell into the PNP program.

When your PR application is approved, a COPR issued, and a visa stamped in your passport, you are all ready to become a Canadian Permanent Resident. You will become a Permanent Resident as soon as you land in Canada and complete the formalities of getting the COPR stamped, your data entered in the system, and the CSBA officer allowing you to enter Canada as a PR.

Upon becoming a PR, you get all rights under the Canadian Constitution that as a Canadian Citizen has, except the right to vote and run for office. As a PR you may not be eligible for high level security clearance to work for jobs in intelligence, but apart from that, you can work for the government.

One of the many rights a PR would get is called the “Mobility Right.” Section 6 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, which is the same as the fundamental rights or bill of rights in other countries states:

6. (1) Every citizen of Canada has the right to enter, remain in and leave Canada.
(2) Every citizen of Canada and every person who has the status of a permanent resident of Canada has the right
a) any laws or practices of general application in force in a province other than those that discriminate among persons primarily on the basis of province of present or previous residence; and
b) any laws providing for reasonable residency requirements as a qualification for the receipt of publicly provided social services.​
(4) Subsections (2) and (3) do not preclude any law, program or activity that has as its object the amelioration in a province of conditions of individuals in that province who are socially or economically disadvantaged if the rate of employment in that province is below the rate of employment in Canada.

If you carefully read Section 6(2), you will understand that as a PR, you have the right to move and settle in any part of Canada, including Quebec. Even if you mentioned in your application that you want to settle in Ontario and then changed your mind to settle in Montreal, you can do that as a FSW.

This is your fundamental right, which is guaranteed by the Canadian Constitution. As a PR, you don’t have to inform any authority on your intent to move, including the Province you are moving out of, or the Province you are moving to.

When you filled your form for the PR, you were asked about your interest to reside in different provinces. Alternatively, you may have sent a letter of interest (“LOI”) to the province communicating your interest in moving to that province. It was in consideration of this Interest that you communicated, and having satisfied the Provincial nominee program requirements, the Province issued you a nomination, which gave you an additional 600 points.

It is important to understand that while Immigration is a federal subject, on which the federal government has complete control, the federal government has given certain privileges to Provinces to attract prospective immigrants to those provinces. PNP, is a part of that deal. However, even when a province nominates a prospective immigrant, it is the federal government through IRCC, which will make a final decision in whether to approve it or not.

There has been a case where a province nominated an applicant, but the IRCC refused his application citing concerns on his intent to settle in that province. The court held that it was the sole prerogative of the IRCC to make a decision and the Province can only nominate, but not have a final say on whom to admit and whom not to. This is why IRCC will ask for settlement plans from some PNP applicants to ensure that they are not using PNP as a means to seek in. (See Deol v. Canada (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration), 2013 FC 1147; and Noreen v. Canada (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration), 2013 FC 1169).

Now the important part
- Section 6(3)(a) & (b) are subject to certain regulations and laws, and one of the most important is Provincial Nominee Program. Section 6(3)(a) & (b) create several limits to mobility rights. Laws requiring reasonable residence periods in order to qualify for social service programs, laws that do not discriminate on the basis of province of previous or present residence, and laws designed to improve conditions in areas of Canada with lower than average employment rates, are all exempted from the mobility rights guarantee in section 6. In other words, these types of provisions can infringe mobility rights, without being unconstitutional. Additionally, a law that is not saved by section 6(3) or (4) may be saved by analysis under section 1 of the Charter as being demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society. Until now there has been no case that I have come across dealing with the mobility rights and PNP. If you know of any, please let me know.

This mandates that an immigrant who immigrated under the PNP should remain in the province which nominated him for about 2 years to show his intention. This number is no where in the law, but reading the immigration laws and regulations, this is what people have derived. Even though an immigrant may have become a PR, he is subject to the limitations under Section 6(3)(a) & (b). While the law remains ambiguous, the more provinces are reporting PNP applicants who do not reside in the Province of nomination.

In the case of individuals where indications at the Port of Entry (POE) are that they no longer intend to reside in the nominating province/territory, they may be reported under section A44(1) for non-compliance with paragraph 87(2)(b) of the IRPR. At worst, where it becomes evident that an individual never intended to reside in the nominating province or territory, this could give rise to an allegation of misrepresentation, pursuant to paragraph 40(1)(a) of the IRPA. In the case few months some Provinces have been very actively pursuing this part and reporting immigrants. When reported for misrepresentation, the PR status can be cancelled and the applicant deported.

By moving to another province right after you get your immigrant status, your intentions may be questioned and you may be reported for misrepresentation. Here are a few things that you can do before you decide to leave the province that nominated you:

b. Properly document your job hunting activities including the results for each job that you applied for.

If you don’t get job offers or if you’re offered a job but the offer you’re getting out of the province is for a higher position and for a significantly higher pay, then your move is justified. If you have these documented, your move to another Province would be justified and if questioned, you will have all the documents that you tried.

I hope this helps you understand what the PR status is, the mobility rights and your obligation under the PNP.

Your thoughts are welcome and if any of you has experience with the PNP, or would like to add, please do so.
To make it more clear, subsection 6(4) does not affect PNP PRs who moved out of their home province. (I mean it can not revoke their PR)
Section 6(4) was added to the Charter in November 1981 to appease the government of Newfoundland and Labrador, making it possible to allow Newfoundlanders who had been in the province for longer a better opportunity to find work in offshore oil than newcomers. This limit allowing for disparity in opportunity applies anywhere else where unemployment in the province is worse than in the country as a whole.
It means that the destination province can limit your entry for their economic benefits. (Strong provinces such as Ontario can not do that)

Reactions: Johnny Ghaddar

djpatel3217

Jan 11, 2019
It’s good post but I have one question if I have to move because of education as I have to do one diploma or professional course which is not available in my nominating province university and college that’s why I change my province that’s valid strong reason or not ? For changing nominating province
Waiting for ur suggestions

canadacommunity_2018

Oct 12, 2018
No one is going to come after you if you move out of the nominating province. The constitution gives you mobility rights to move to any part of Canada as a PR. However, since you are nominated by a Province you also have a contractual obligation. As long as you can demonstrate that you did your best to find a job, or a job you found paid you much less than that available in another province, you can move out.

There is no threshold or a minimum requirement you have to meet, rather it is a subjective test.
Hello..
In the application, the applicant specifies as well in which particular region in a province he will be staying. Question is, if the applicant decides to live in a different REGION but within the SAME PROVINCE indicated in the application, can this be considered as “negative” or I mean as a misrepresentation???
Thank you for advising

Reactions: Higherheights

chahat27

Oct 24, 2017

Now the important part

Thank you very much for this post, this information shear power and very precise.

Q: I finished my study in Ontario and currently on a 3 year work permit. after 1 year i want to move to menitoba for PR. Is this a good idea ? should this help me in any way ? Please Help.

Aug 30, 2019
I am being the PA in my case, and have been nominated by SINP
I shall be landing by this year-end to Saskatchewan for the initial landing formalities. would stay around a month in Saskatchewan and then I shall return to my home country to prepare myself for the final move.

However, I intend to study further in my field and have shortlisted a course at Concordia University, Montreal.

I intend to make my applications at Concordia University and upon securing my admission, I intend to re-enter Canada and start my course. Next year by June-July-2019, I might land in Montreal (this time as a PR). Would it be an issue ?? Since I was nominated by SINPand received my PR through SINP, would I be under the scanner at Montreal airport ??? or would I be considered a Federal-PR and shall enjoy free movement rights as expressed above.

However, since I am a PNP candidate from SINP I have checked the option of taking a similar/same course in Saskatchewan, but the quality and credibility of the course is not at par with the one in Montreal.

What do you think @legalfalcon.

Do you think I have any issues here... or can I go ahead with the way I am planning right now. (Land-initially at Saskatchewan, stay for a month, complete all formalities, fly-out back. Apply for Concordia University, after securing admissions, re-land at Montreal, undergo the university-course and then see which is the best suitable option - Saskatchewan or Montreal or any other place(Depends on the job opportunities).

Can I do that...?

lrishi

Sep 4, 2019
On a similar note, I, being the PA in our case, and have been nominated by Ontario PNP.
I shall be landing by this year end to Toronto for the initial landing formalities. would stay around a month in Toronto and then shall return to my home-country to prepare myself for the final move.

However, I intend to study further in my field and have shortlisted a course at UBC-Vancouver.

I intend to make my applications in UBC and upon securing my admission, I intend to re-enter Canada and start my course. Next year by June-July-2018, I might land in Vancouver (this time as a PR). Would it be an issue ???? Since I was nominated by OINP and received my PR through Ontario's PNP, would I be under scanner at Vancouver airport ??? or would I be considered a Federal-PR and shall enjoy free movement rights as expressed above.

However, since I am a PNP candidate from Ontario (OINP) I have checked the option of taking a similar/same course at Uni. of Toronto but UofT has a 2 year course while the same course a UBC-Vancouver is compressed and duration is just 11 months.

For a mid-career professional, this is very lucrative ( since I save more than 13 months) if I select the course at UBC-Vancouver. However it will be outside the province of my nomination, but I guess this difference of duration itself should be able to justify itself. What do you think @legalfalcon.

Do you think I have any issues here... or can I go-ahead with the way I am planning right now. (Land-initially at Toronto, stay for a month, complete all formalities, fly-out back. Apply for UBC, after securing admissions, re-land at Vancouver, undergo the university-course and then see which is the best suitable option - Vancouver or Toronto? )

Can I do that...?
Hi @ohmygoditsdhaval,
Were you able to pursue the degree in vancouver while being nominated by Ontario?

--
Thanks