+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

understanding GCMS notes

kanwar144

Star Member
Mar 16, 2015
in my gcms notes , there are many instance in application no count of elligibilty passed but in the notes it says not started ,
moving through different offices , what does that mean?
my criminality is passed , security not started .
Info sharing is complete.
when will security start ? after info sharing.

Mar 26, 2021
Hi,

I am a FSW-outland with AOR on 2020/03/02

I just received the gcms notes order on 2021/02/24, and most of the contents are exactly the same as the gcms notes I order at 2020/07/05, which shows:

eligibility: passed
security: not started
criminality: not started
medical: passed
info sharing: in progress

and the NOTES part at the end of both gcms notes are the same, which indicate that the last NOTE they have in my case was on 2020/04/29 and to pass my eligibility.

But what really concerns me is that the whole ACTIVITY part in the second gcms notes are blank (so I cannot compare the contents of this part from the two notes ), and says:

Pages 50 to 83 are withheld pursuant to section 16(2)(c) of the access to information act

I search online and get that 16(2)(c) is about:

on the vulnerability of particular buildings or other structures or systems, including computer or communication systems, or methods employed to protect such buildings or other structures or systems.

I am confused. What does this mean? My job is a web designer/developer and has nothing to do with any of the buildings or computer systems related to any government... and also I don't have any criminal convictions in my life

So my concerns are:

1. since my case hasn't been updated since 2020/04/29, why the ACTIVITY part is open in the first gcms notes and hidden in the second gcms notes?

2. is this related to the long-lasting "info sharing" or indicates that I'm in security screening or something?

3. why is info sharing taking so long... I have been studying and working in the US since 2015 and never visited any other country except returning to China (my birth and passport country) twice, and I have no history of visa inadmissible... ( I applied to H1b work visa in 2020 and was approved, is this change of immigration status (from student visa to work visa) the reason of my slow info sharing? )

4. do I need to do anything? Or what can I do... I am really confused...

@legalfalcon

Would you please give me some expert advice? Huge thanks in advance...

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Hi,

I am a FSW-outland with AOR on 2020/03/02

I just received the gcms notes order on 2021/02/24, and most of the contents are exactly the same as the gcms notes I order at 2020/07/05, which shows:

eligibility: passed
security: not started
criminality: not started
medical: passed
info sharing: in progress

and the NOTES part at the end of both gcms notes are the same, which indicate that the last NOTE they have in my case was on 2020/04/29 and to pass my eligibility.

But what really concerns me is that the whole ACTIVITY part in the second gcms notes are blank (so I cannot compare the contents of this part from the two notes ), and says:

Pages 50 to 83 are withheld pursuant to section 16(2)(c) of the access to information act

I search online and get that 16(2)(c) is about:

on the vulnerability of particular buildings or other structures or systems, including computer or communication systems, or methods employed to protect such buildings or other structures or systems.

I am confused. What does this mean? My job is a web designer/developer and has nothing to do with any of the buildings or computer systems related to any government... and also I don't have any criminal convictions in my life

So my concerns are:

1. since my case hasn't been updated since 2020/04/29, why the ACTIVITY part is open in the first gcms notes and hidden in the second gcms notes?

2. is this related to the long-lasting "info sharing" or indicates that I'm in security screening or something?

3. why is info sharing taking so long... I have been studying and working in the US since 2015 and never visited any other country except returning to China (my birth and passport country) twice, and I have no history of visa inadmissible... ( I applied to H1b work visa in 2020 and was approved, is this change of immigration status (from student visa to work visa) the reason of my slow info sharing? )

4. do I need to do anything? Or what can I do... I am really confused...

@legalfalcon

Would you please give me some expert advice? Huge thanks in advance...
When GCMS notes are released, each agency will redact information. Information redacted pursuant to section 15 and 16 mis very common in the GCMS notes.

S16 of the Access to Information Act pertains to :

16 (1) The head of a government institution may refuse to disclose any record requested under this Part that contains
(2) The head of a government institution may refuse to disclose any record requested under this Part that contains information that could reasonably be expected to facilitate the commission of an offence, including, without restricting the generality of the foregoing, any such information

• (c) on the vulnerability of particular buildings or other structures or systems, including computer or communication systems, or methods employed to protect such buildings or other structures or systems.

A more detailed interpretation of the above section is:

11.4.5 Subsection 16(2) – Facilitating the commission of an offence
Subsection 16(2) of the Access to InformationAct is a discretionary injury test exemption providing protection for information that could reasonably be expected to facilitate the commission of an offence.

Paragraphs (a), (b) and (c) provide examples of the types of information to which this exemption may apply. The examples specify information:

• (a) on criminal methods or techniques;
  • (b) that is technical information relating to weapons or potential weapons; or
  • (c) on the vulnerability of particular buildings or other structures or systems, including computer or communication systems, or methods employed to protect such buildings or other structures or systems.
The list of information cited in the subsection is for illustrative purposes only and is not exhaustive. A government institution must have a reasonable expectation that the release of the requested information would facilitate the commission of an offence. Included in the exemption is information on criminal methods and techniques (that is, the modus operandi of the criminal world). Included as well is information on weapons technology (for example, how to make a bomb) and information about the vulnerability of both public and private sector buildings, structures or systems, including computer and communication systems, and methods employed to protect such buildings, structures and systems. A government institution may, for example, refuse to disclose the security plans or other information about the vulnerable aspects of federal government buildings and other installations that would be of strategic importance in civil emergencies or time of war.

Most of this information could most likely be protected under subsection 16(1), but subsection 16(2) is intended to make it easier to process specific requests for information of this nature.
See https://www.canada.ca/en/treasury-board-secretariat/services/access-information-privacy/access-information/access-information-manual.html#cha11_4

There is nothing to be concerned about. Each GCMS notes can have different exemptions, and if you fee that an exemption was unreasonable, you can challenge it by filing a compliant with the Office of the Information Commissioner or by first informally approaching IRCC ATIP for a clarification.

1. Each request is processed by different aTIP analysts and can have different redactions.

2. Most GCMS notes will redact information related to security, but it does not mean that you are in enhanced security screening. To read on security, see https://bit.ly/3sn9O9g

3. Info sharing is a quick process and is automated. However, after the info sharing is done, the information obtained is analyzed or reviewed, and in most cases it keeps pending for days / weeks before it is even touched and thus delaying the whole process.

4. There is nothing to be concerned about and nothing you can do. Just give it sometime and you will see a decision.

Mar 26, 2021
Hi @legalfalcon

Thank you so so much for your quick and insightful reply! It's really helpful!

So based on the info sharing process you just mentioned. It is possible that the USCIS has already sent my bio/visa info to the IRCC, and the notes shows info sharing is in progress is because the information obtained is now being analyzed or reviewed by the IRCC? Because I was thinking about it was the USCIS which keeps delays and not sending my information...

And one last question, in the notes of 2020/07/05, I can see from the ACTIVITY section that my criminality has been changed to "passed" only a few days for my AOR, and was later changed back to "not started". So is this a normal case and will I be asked to provide a police certificate to cover this whole year time period after my AOR? (since we know that the date on the police certificate I submitted has been way over 6 months back from now)

dhruvbajaj39

Feb 19, 2021
Hi @legalfalcon and @caipsnotes

On a few other forums and this post https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/understanding-gcms-notes.366708/post-9160387
the assessments section is showing ELIGIBILITY: PASSED but Notes show only processing agent "Ready to finalize" recommendation and no officer notes. Instead of ELIGIBILITY: PASSED, should the status not have been "MET" or "RECOMMENDED PASSED" instead of simply "PASSED" if there is no officer review yet?

Different status examples (from where I have quoted above eligibility status) are on this link https://gcmsnotes.com/how-to-read-interpret-and-understand-gcms-notes/

Many thanks for your consistent help.

Reactions: OLdon11

caipsnotes

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2020
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Hi @caipsnotes

On a few other forums and this post https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/understanding-gcms-notes.366708/post-9160387
the assessments section is showing ELIGIBILITY: PASSED but Notes show only processing agent "Ready to finalize" recommendation and no officer notes. Instead of ELIGIBILITY: PASSED, should the status not have been "MET" or "RECOMMENDED PASSED" instead of simply "PASSED" if there is no officer review yet?

Different status examples (from where I have quoted above eligibility status) are on this link https://gcmsnotes.com/how-to-read-interpret-and-understand-gcms-notes/

Hi. Sometimes the file may be passed by an officer and there may not be a comment such as OFFICER REVIEW, what does your status show?

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Hi @legalfalcon

The phrases "recommended passed," "passed," "Met" are all used interchangeably, and it differs from office to office and from officer to officer. In all applications, you will have a detailed note by an analyst / assistant, which will then have an officer's note. Unless there is an officer's note regarding eligibility, the eligibility cannot conclusively passed. The note by an officer, can be a short one or a detailed on as per the circumstances.

Immigration is based on law. Each GCMS note can be different, based on where the application is being processed, the nature of the application, such as PR / TRV etc.

Only after an officer has made an assessment on eligibility, will your security be initiated.

In some cases, the officer may have review the eligibility, but may not have entered the note, but this is very rare and when it happens, you will usually see an activity by that officer and also under the admissibilities >>>security.

See #4,004

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Hi @legalfalcon

Thank you so so much for your quick and insightful reply! It's really helpful!

So based on the info sharing process you just mentioned. It is possible that the USCIS has already sent my bio/visa info to the IRCC, and the notes shows info sharing is in progress is because the information obtained is now being analyzed or reviewed by the IRCC? Because I was thinking about it was the USCIS which keeps delays and not sending my information...

And one last question, in the notes of 2020/07/05, I can see from the ACTIVITY section that my criminality has been changed to "passed" only a few days for my AOR, and was later changed back to "not started". So is this a normal case and will I be asked to provide a police certificate to cover this whole year time period after my AOR? (since we know that the date on the police certificate I submitted has been way over 6 months back from now)

It can be either that the information has not yet been transmitted, or has been transmitted, but not yet analysed, or has been transmitted, analysed but not updated in the file. It is difficult to say. But you will have activities in your GCMS notes under info sharing.

The criminality is initially assessed based on PCC, and you will have a R10 note. However, after you give your biometrics, the biometrics are run though RCMP <https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/mandate/corporate-initiatives/biometrics/process-steps-2018.html>
and the info gathered from info sharing is taken into account to make a final determination on criminality. This is also where you will see a note that says that no A36 concerns and it looks like this:

rwang3

Jul 19, 2020
Burnaby, BC
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
04-06-2020
AOR Received.
05-02-2021
File Transfer...
07-08-2020
Hello! Just received my GCMS note and have some questions regarding it. Thanks for any help ahead!
BCPNP stream AR August-6-2020
AOR February-5-2021
MR March-1-2021
GCMS note ordered March-8-2020

1: In the incoming section the "incoming 1" showed as
INCOMING
INCOMING: 1

Created Date: 2021/02/08
Created By: EAIMELUTC
Updated Date:2021/2/26
Updated By: WBMRCR
Create Office: GCMS-System
Item: Use of representative IMM 5476
Due Date: 2021/02/08
Via: Online
Received By: EAIMELUTC
Received Date:2021/02/08

What I am confused about is that officer note 1 indicates that on 2/5/2021 Authorized Paid Rep XXX, Used IMM 5476 form file forwarded to Read-For-Eval-CT. I do not understand the application arrived with form 5476 and they checked it on 2/5. Why there is another update on 2/8 to update the status of the form via WBMRCR. Is this because my rep linked my application to the APR portal on February 8th?

2: on my history page there is s 16(2)(c) on the right corner and the activities are blank. Page 30-47 are withheld due to section s 16(2)(c). I passed criminality as "passed-bio". Eligibility and security are both "not started". In this case, does section 16 mean a security screening or just something related to RCMP?

Thanks!

caipsnotes

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2020
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
A11.2 Case Processing Agent. It’s conceivable that it’s not conclusively passed as when I got my notes security had not started for two months after that
Right, just to have wait for now. These days with the pandemic related delays many a times security does not start even after Eligibility has been conclusively passed by an officer.

Reactions: dhruvbajaj39

felix11

May 13, 2021
Hello everybody,
I just received my gcms note, and I didn't understand the review required.
here are the screenshots of the notes.
Thank you for your answers.

May 16, 2021
Hi, my GCMS note says - search of client yielded possible concern. Pls who knows what this means?
I also have a Recommend Interview without any reason on my notes.
please help. Thanks