+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Underlining key parts of study plan.

NightShade93

Mar 17, 2022
After my study permit got refused, I applied again last night. I underlined the key areas in my statement of purpose so the visa officer notices it. Later I heard that underlining is a bad practice.
Will my study permit get refused because of that?

thaovy99

Jun 26, 2019
No. They will not refuse you again just because you underline some phrases in your SOP. However, I imagine you understand that if there is no changes in your application beside a new SOP, then the chance to get approved to closer to 0.

NightShade93

Mar 17, 2022
No. They will not refuse you again just because you underline some phrases in your SOP. However, I imagine you understand that if there is no changes in your application beside a new SOP, then the chance to get approved to closer to 0.
My reason of refusal was "won't leave canada based on purpose of visit". In my last SOP, I didn't explain at all why I chose this particular program. I just said it will add value to my career. I don't know for sure if that's the reason, as I didn't wait for GCMS notes because I'm short on time before the classes start. But on seeing that this is the only reason for refusal, I strongly believe that my SOP is the only reason.

What other documents do you suggest I provide?

thaovy99

Jun 26, 2019
That reason can basically mean anything and everything. You decided to reapply without GCMS note at your own risks but I personally think that there are more behind that single line of reason. And, it is surely not obvious for someone with a previous refusal to change the visa officer's decision just by adding more thing on your SOP. What they seek to see is evidences, the potential pay wage once you graduate from the intended program, how many new job openings become available in your domain every month/year in your home country, how companies prefer someone with your intended degree, etc. And all of those information, it takes time to collect.
Not to mention the financial aspect, saying my father will provide me support for example, is not an evidence. And that takes even more documentation, facts and research to answer.

Reactions: NightShade93

NightShade93

Mar 17, 2022
That reason can basically mean anything and everything. You decided to reapply without GCMS note at your own risks but I personally think that there are more behind that single line of reason. And, it is surely not obvious for someone with a previous refusal to change the visa officer's decision just by adding more thing on your SOP. What they seek to see is evidences, the potential pay wage once you graduate from the intended program, how many new job openings become available in your domain every month/year in your home country, how companies prefer someone with your intended degree, etc. And all of those information, it takes time to collect.
Not to mention the financial aspect, saying my father will provide me support for example, is not an evidence. And that takes even more documentation, facts and research to answer.
I work as a software developer, and I applied for Technology management and software developer course, to which I gave no explanation. Obviously, the visa officer will think why I am opting a course that adds no value to my career. But the content of the course is different from what I am doing at work. (Software development has different areas of focus, like front end, backend etc.). Unless they checked the program details in the college website, they wouldn't have got that. That's what I added in my new SOP.

Financial part, I have provided enough proofs. My home ties are also great. If these were issues, they usually write it as additional reasons for rejection.

I have applied for GCMS notes. I couldn't wait for the response because, my next deferal intake is next year August. So I took the risk and reapplied.

Maybe you're right, it might get refused again. But there were posts online where people got refused just because of their SOPs and are approved with a better one.
I hope that happens in my case. Fingers crossed. Anyway, I'll have plenty of time to apply again if it's refused again.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
I work as a software developer, and I applied for Technology management and software developer course, to which I gave no explanation. Obviously, the visa officer will think why I am opting a course that adds no value to my career. But the content of the course is different from what I am doing at work. (Software development has different areas of focus, like front end, backend etc.). Unless they checked the program details in the college website, they wouldn't have got that. That's what I added in my new SOP.

Financial part, I have provided enough proofs. My home ties are also great. If these were issues, they usually write it as additional reasons for rejection.

I have applied for GCMS notes. I couldn't wait for the response because, my next deferal intake is next year August. So I took the risk and reapplied.

Maybe you're right, it might get refused again. But there were posts online where people got refused just because of their SOPs and are approved with a better one.
I hope that happens in my case. Fingers crossed. Anyway, I'll have plenty of time to apply again if it's refused again.
What is your academic background and what level of study/program did you apply?

NightShade93

Mar 17, 2022
What is your academic background and what level of study/program did you apply?
I finished bachelor's in computer science and engineering. The program had little to no programming course. The ones it had was very outdated. I worked 4 years as a front end software developer.
The program I applied for is Technology management and Software developer 2 year PG diploma at SaskPoly.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
I finished bachelor's in computer science and engineering. The program had little to no programming course. The ones it had was very outdated. I worked 4 years as a front end software developer.
The program I applied for is Technology management and Software developer 2 year PG diploma at SaskPoly.
I think this is where perceived "purpose of visit" officer's opinion is based. Some of them are not detailed into specific but can decide on general view, in this case, doing post graduate in software developer while you have Degree in Computer Science and Engineering. The fact you did not have enough time to wait for the gcms notes, I believe you were very specific in addressing what was missing (programming course) and the reasons with regard to your academic and career progression.

NightShade93

Mar 17, 2022
I think this is where perceived "purpose of visit" officer's opinion is based. Some of them are not detailed into specific but can decide on general view, in this case, doing post graduate in software developer while you have Degree in Computer Science and Engineering. The fact you did not have enough time to wait for the gcms notes, I believe you were very specific in addressing what was missing (programming course) and the reasons with regard to your academic and career progression.
Yes I explained everything this time. I had other people check it as well.

The thing is, I realized I forgot to explain all this the first time, a couple of days after submitting. So I kind of expected the rejection. I got really nervous whether I missed something or did something wrong right after applying the second time(yesterday). That's why I asked the question about underlining. This is so stressful, but I am kind of confident this time.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Yes I explained everything this time. I had other people check it as well.

The thing is, I realized I forgot to explain all this the first time, a couple of days after submitting. So I kind of expected the rejection. I got really nervous whether I missed something or did something wrong right after applying the second time(yesterday). That's why I asked the question about underlining. This is so stressful, but I am kind of confident this time.
May be you overthinking..... To some people, underlining can be bad practise but i believe VO are trained not to base their judgement on good/bad writing practice

NightShade93

Mar 17, 2022
May be you overthinking..... To some people, underlining can be bad practise but i believe VO are trained not to base their judgement on good/bad writing practice
You're right, I probably am overthinking.
Thank you so much for your kind words. I feel hopeful now.