+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Under-18 applicant for TRV: Lower chances of getting approved?

Kais767

Jun 22, 2013
I'm a 16 year male old high school student from Malaysia, planning to visit my friends in Vancouver and Seattle in Dec/Jan 2013. I will be travelling alone as my parents need to work, and they both have full time jobs and several accounts with a total of 70k> CAD and two properties. I applied for a US visa a week before sending my Canadian application and was approved, getting a 10 year multiple entry.

As the visa office in Kuala Lumpur is closed, I sent my application to the Singapore office on 22 May which was received by the office 5 days later. After two weeks I didn't hear from them, so I sent them an email.

The next day they replied saying they'll send the decision letter by mail but they can't tell you by email (seriously?). I was actually rather confident of getting my single entry TRV approved, though I was devastated when I opened the letter and saw the words "Do not meet the requirements....". To rub salt on the wound, they included a receipt stating they've cashed in on my CAD75 bank draft.

They listed "Purpose of travel" and "Do not have enough assets to sustain yourself blah blah" as the two reasons.

I included my parents' bank account statements, a copy of my entire passport (which clearly shows my stamps from Australia, Korea, Turkey, Thailand, Singapore, Japan - and a Japanese and US visa) and my mom's 5 year Canadian visa in case she decides to tag along, and air ticket which shows Business Class (mileage redemption).

I'm puzzled as to why I could be refused a visa, and I definitely intend to reapply. Who's going to illegally hire a 16 year old?! It's freezing there and I'm not sure what convinces them that I'll never leave Canada, especially since my parents will still be in Malaysia. If the Americans can trust me, why can't the Canadians?

Any idea on what else I should include on my next application? Invitation letter? Some document that states my parents actually own houses? Or is it just my luck that I got a VO who happened to be in a bad mood?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1) The money must be in your name unless the account holder is traveling with you during the trip to Canada. VO wants to know if you have enough funds to support yourself.

2) The stamps in your passport only shows travel history, but not the purpose of travel. For example if you want to sight seeing Vancouver and Seattle, I'm suppose you can show your flight ticket and a receipt / detailed itinerary from a tour company.

You might think 20 degrees centigrade is freezing. If Canadians can cope with it, why not the Malaysians?

Kais767

Jun 22, 2013
steaky said:
1) The money must be in your name unless the account holder is traveling with you during the trip to Canada. VO wants to know if you have enough funds to support yourself.

2) The stamps in your passport only shows travel history, but not the purpose of travel. For example if you want to sight seeing Vancouver and Seattle, I'm suppose you can show your flight ticket and a receipt / detailed itinerary from a tour company.

You might think 20 degrees centigrade is freezing. If Canadians can cope with it, why not the Malaysians?
Thanks for the reply. I've indicated that my mother will be paying for my trip and attached her bank account details. Do they seriously expect a minor to pay for his/her own trip?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Kais767 said:
Thanks for the reply. I've indicated that my mother will be paying for my trip and attached her bank account details. Do they seriously expect a minor to pay for his/her own trip?
Your real problem is that you are minor,under 18, without a guardian in Canada, so the chances of getting a TRV are really very slim.

Kais767

Jun 22, 2013
So should I indicate my mother accompanying me the next time I apply? She already has a visa.

Or will they suspect a sudden change of tune?

Kais767

Jun 22, 2013
I realized their concern isn't about the family ties or ties to my home country - it's about my "lack of sufficient funds/assets". Do they seriously expect a high school student to own a house, car and have tens of thousands in his account?

I've got a letter from the school stating my position and tuition fees which have been paid for, an invitation letter from my friend and a letter support from my dad who will attach copies of his bank accounts and house ownerships.

Should I also include a cover letter in my next application? (I figured I'd stick to the me going alone story)