+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

undeclared common law relationship in previous work permit

kw.jr

Nov 30, 2019
Hello everyone,

I hope someone would answer my question:

My boyfriend and I are both on PGWP, we both studied in Canada and apply PGWP after graduating from universities. We started living together since April 2016. When my boyfriend applied for his work permit in Feb 2018, he didn't declare we are common-law at the time. We were both lacking of knowledge about the canadian law on common-law, and had no idea that we automatically became common-law partners when living together for 12 months and had to change our status. Now, my bf applied PNP and I am the common-law dependent. I am not sure if it will be a problem that my bf's didnt declare we are common-law on his previous work permit.

I admit it was our fault, but mistakes were made, I dont know what to do if I should tell CIC that we actually started living together at the time my bf got his work permit. Is there anyway we can fix it?

I would like to listen to your opinions and how we can make up for our mistakes. Your help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Since your boyfriend's PGWP would not have been adversely impacted in any way by you being his common-law partner, this is less of an issue. He needs to include a letter of explanation in his PNP application declaring you as a common-law partner, from the date the 1 year elapsed, and explain the omission occurred because you were unaware of the definition of common-law partner.

You need to tell them the relationship was commonlaw after you lived together for one year, not from the date you started living together.

amairena95

Apr 19, 2017
Hello everyone,

My boyfriend and I are both on PGWP, we both studied in Canada and apply PGWP after graduating from universities. We started living together since April 2016. When my boyfriend applied for his work permit in Feb 2018, he didn't declare we are common-law at the time. We were both lacking of knowledge about the canadian law on common-law, and had no idea that we automatically became common-law partners when living together for 12 months and had to change our status. Now, my bf applied PNP and I am the common-law dependent. I am not sure if it will be a problem that my bf's didnt declare we are common-law on his previous work permit.

I admit it was our fault, but mistakes were made, I dont know what to do if I should tell CIC that we actually started living together at the time my bf got his work permit. Is there anyway we can fix it?

I would like to listen to your opinions and how we can make up for our mistakes. Your help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!
hey were there any issues with your pr appplication? im in a very similar situation

sancanada2417

Jan 19, 2024
Hi can you share what happened and what you did? I am in a same situation. Thank you.

Hello everyone,

bers.ok

Mar 6, 2024
Hello everyone,

Hi can you share what happened and what you did? I am in a same situation. Thank you.