+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Unbelievable

bfraken

Aug 26, 2008
Hi Karlshammar

The fault is with the country and province. I know what you're saying but why aren't the people of this country, or province, helping out new residents of Canada when there are shortages of medical staff across the country? If you're just starting out in your chosen field then yes you're on your own and good luck to you, but, when you've been doing this job for 9 years now, have a BSc and have done a years work in a hospital to achieve UK registration why no help in making up the difference?

A woman that my wife use to work with in the UK was from Ontario and the hospital she was working at couldn't do enough for her so that she could obtain her UK Licence. Helped with her assessment, work experience and anything else she needed

Paddyboy

May 17, 2009
What is unbelievable is you can get doctors, engineers etc working as taxi drivers.
My point is more than likely the vast majority of immigrants would have applied to enter as skilled workers, submitted their qualifications, work & personal history to the Govt and supposedly had all of this info checked out before the even set foot in Canada. If it's good enough to satisfy the Govt why not employers? I understand the need to maintain high standards but surely when the country is supposedly crying out (and actively head-hunting) skilled workers why throw even more barriers up to an already lengthy process?

Halifax-Maple

Star Member
Jul 19, 2009
Karlshammar said:
Many foreign credentials are recognized in Canada, however, they may require you to jump through some hoops to be recognized.

This is not direct to a specific person (mentioning this so I don't hurt any feelings here): If you immigrate to a foreign country while working in a highly regulated occupation requiring licensing, and you don't even make the most basic research as to what is required to engage in that occupation in the new country, is the fault with that country or with you? Food for thought...
I have just checked with my friend (her husband is the new immigrant, medical doc). The doctor has taken 13 years of extensive training in prestigious hospitals in UK. His qualification: his primary (undergraduate) medical qualification + Diploma +Master degree+ membership of the Royal College there (which is the highest in UK) + Doctorate degree (which is the highest all over the world). His qualifications and credentials have been verified by the International Credential Service organization, based in US. In Canada he was assessed by a non medical officer and a family doctor. The family doctor who has been involved is apparently less qualified compared to the immigrant doc. Having been, myself, in Europe and in Canada, I can not say we are (in Canada) up to the standard of health care in Germany, France or UK. The shortage of doctors in Canada is an outrageous matter. So, in my humble opinion, and out of my love to Canada and Canadians, we can not claim superiority unless we are up to that level

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You know, NONE of this has to do with the governments. Most of our professional associations are self-governing. This applies to doctor's, lawyers, engineers, nurses, etc. They are legislated (within a certain framework) to have decision making authority over what credentials are recognized, testing required, etc.

Yep, I agree that it's ridiculous. I took a course two years ago in a 2nd language that was taught by a lovely woman who used to be a doctor and medical school professor in her country of origin. After being a doctor for 20 years she just couldn't go back to school as she also had young children. So she gave up her career to make the sacrifice of having her children grow up in Canada. As a Canadian, I marvel at the level of sacrifice people will make to live here. I also saw an awesome documentary that really opened my eyes about who has the power in the the medical profession in Canada when it comes to residencies, etc. It was done by CBC but I can't remember if it was on the Passionate Eye or the Fifth Estate. And according to this documentary, Canada has the best medical TRAINING in the world and therefore, a huge number of foreign students (making acceptance in medical school for Canadians even more competitive) and the Medical Association limits the numbers of residency programs available and you can NOT practice without completeing a residency. They also decide which country's credentials they will accept. I think there are only 8 other countries where credentials are recognized here in Canada. Also, there are many foreign doctors who have written the exams here in Canada but cannot get a residency from the medical association because some of these are "sold" to Canadian trained foreign students who will leave Canada after residency. Other countries pay the Association HUGE dollars for these residencies.

It's a cluster****. But the blame for most of this stuff rests mostly with the associations and only partly with the government.

JTN

Nov 27, 2009
THE WORDS "MAY CONTACT YOU"

So I just got a mail from misisauga case processing centre and the letter says that the local office in calgary may contact me for interview, further assessment and the whole nine yards. what are they implying from the fact that they "may contact me" i have received a letter like this before like 4 years ago and they never contacted me. this time i have a spousal sponsorship application. is anything going to change? please advise cos my high paying lawyer is not picking my calls

lemonfever

Dec 1, 2009
Very interested in the topic. I am going through a similar experience but in the finance field. recently moved from the UK with an ACCA qualification and had to go through the hassles everyone seems to mention. When i started job hunting, mostly through the big recruiters as RobertHalf who by the way are international, some of their agents did not know what the ACCA is. some suggested going back to school and so on. i was miffed because i have a BSC in accounting and the acca professional qualification and was sure that was good enough to land me even the smallest accounting role. but not in canada. finally i succumbed and decided to call mcgill university about their ca program and the director told me i needed to take a diploma course in accounting since my qualifications are foreign. sometimes, some of these requirements are not only appalling and shameful but rather naive. the canadian government will be advised to look at school curricula from other nations since the government has a open immigration policy. it is shameful and hurtful that one would have impressive credentials and be treated so poorly because they did not study in a local institution. to say one would have to write some board exams is understandable and but obliging someone to take a two year course in a college after not only completing school but practicing for 9 years is a case of just how wrong they must be in placing their qualifications superior to others. after all, one is the essence of international collaboration if one would think himself more highly than others? i agree it is time to put a stop to such a shameful treatment of skilled immigrants (remember, these people achieved status as SKILLED IMMIGRANTS, which was at the time based on their FOREIGN educational qualifications and work experience).

alpesantezo

Star Member
Sep 19, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Bogota
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
13-03-2010
File Transfer...
11-01-2010
Med's Request
16-09-2010
Med's Done....
19-09-2010
Interview........
NO!
Passport Req..
16-09-2010
VISA ISSUED...
28-12-2010
LANDED..........
01-01-2011
i agree with you lemon fever.. is not that we are trying to break Cnada standars is that when you are appling under skilled worker you have to put there proof of your experience!!!.. if you rcredentials , experience and studiies are not going to work in Canada why they even bother on calling foreigners!!!