Newfoundland and Labrador
Category........
WP
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
09-03-2021
Yes I am a permanent resident. I have a close friend who has accidently made the mistake of working 7.5 hours after graduation, and he has repeatedly asked me for advice. Since I have been using this forum for a very long time, my first thought was to come here for information. Also, I will begin an immigration consultant training course very soon, so I think it is not a bad thing for me to know more about relevant regulations as this might be my future career.
oh I see. That's great. The revenue department can share the individual's earnings with IRCC if required, in the sense, if a file has suspicious information, they can do a background check, but in most cases they don't. While calculating work hours, they see a yearly average and not 20 hours a week. Some negligible errors are overlooked. Maybe we can call it the Canadian kindness if you will..

Reactions: baltzly

anton_gambit_11

Star Member
Apr 8, 2015
Hey guys, I have been following this thread and would like some input in my situation.

- My last day of classes was Dec 6, I was hired for my full time job and started Dec 16.
- I got my program completion letter on Jan 7
- I submitted my PGWP application Jan 16

SO, I realized I basically worked unauthorized for less than a month between Dec 16 to Jan16

I say less than a month because my office was also closed between Dec 21 - Jan 2 so I did not work during that time. I did however still get paid as I am not paid by the hour. Not sure if this matters.

Will this be an issue on my PGWP application and be a cause for refusal?

Thanks for your replies.

anton_gambit_11

Star Member
Apr 8, 2015
Hey

Correct me if my understanding is wrong. Your only mistake is that you worked full time when you were only allowed to work part time. Is this right?

I've chatted with a lawyer friend who said the penalty usually depends on the severity of the violation. If your unauthorised work is just a couple of hours, It is then highly unlikely that it will lead to any negative impact on your subsequent applications.
Yes correct. I did not realize I could only work part time.

Can you expound more on the "penalty usually depends on the severity of the violation" part? What would you consider as "severe"? My unauthorized work seems to be around 2-3 weeks. Is this considered severe?

Thanks!

anton_gambit_11

Star Member
Apr 8, 2015
My lawyer told me that if the violation of visa condition is considered a minor violation and the applicant stopped the wrongdoing immediately after he or she realized that it was wrong to do that, then everything should be fine. She didn't elaborate on the exact criteria as she said such cases are always assessed on a case-by-case basis, but basically a couple of hours or shifts are usually deemed as "minor". Did you declare this on your application form for PGWP?
So it seems like my unauthorized work lasted around 2-3 weeks, so not exactly just a couple of hours shifts - is this bad? I did not know I cannot work so I also did not stop working until eventually I just submitted my pgwp application. So im not sure about the "stopped the wrongdoing immediately" part?

My application form was submitted by my agent. Not sure if he declared it, but we did provide my emplyment contract which shows I did start working already. Is that enough?

BTW, thanks for your help!

anton_gambit_11

Star Member
Apr 8, 2015
My lawyer said to me that she personally hasn't seen anyone facing severe consequences for working for 2-3 weeks during the transitional period between studies and PGWP provided no misrepresentation is involved. By declaring it I mean indicating it on the IMM5710 form, which has a section asking applicants to declare any unauthorised work or study. If it is not declared, it will be considered misrepresentation if found out by IRCC. I don't think your 2-3 week's accidental unauthorised work is a big deal, but you may want to check if your agent has declared it on that form.

Having said that, it is unlikely IRCC will do a close check on your file as they have no reason to do so.
Ok this lets me breathe a little easier. Thanks again!

BTW I sent you a pm :)

Sarasrh

Feb 9, 2020
Happy for you,
I have the same situation but I worked just for 20 days before submitting my PGWP. Is it possible for you to share what you included in your letter.
Thanks to you!
Hi every one I just got my work permit approval.
I have submitted a letter of explanation for my unauthorized work after graduation for almost 15 days. I worked full-time on campus.
Hope everyone in this thread get their work permit and also hope all of us let our friends know about these regulations to help them not make the same mistake.

Last edited:

Egury

Apr 14, 2020
Hey guys, I have been following this thread and would like some input in my situation.

- My last day of classes was Dec 6, I was hired for my full time job and started Dec 16.
- I got my program completion letter on Jan 7
- I submitted my PGWP application Jan 16

SO, I realized I basically worked unauthorized for less than a month between Dec 16 to Jan16

I say less than a month because my office was also closed between Dec 21 - Jan 2 so I did not work during that time. I did however still get paid as I am not paid by the hour. Not sure if this matters.

Will this be an issue on my PGWP application and be a cause for refusal?

Thanks for your replies.
Hey may I know if you’ve had any updates?

Helican

Champion Member
Aug 18, 2017
India
Visa Office......
bangalore
VISA ISSUED...
08-17-2017
LANDED..........
Sept 2, 2017
Hi every one I just got my work permit approval.
I have submitted a letter of explanation for my unauthorized work after graduation for almost 15 days. I worked full-time on campus.
Hope everyone in this thread get their work permit and also hope all of us let our friends know about these regulations to help them not make the same mistake.
wow congrats! It is always better to declare and provide explanation for any unauthorized work. If proper explanation is provided and it was an unintentional mistake then they may consider the explanation.

sidcome

Jul 28, 2020
Hello Guys,
I have been going through this thread and let me tell you all I am really nervous.

I got a job in the accounting/billing department after I finished college.
I started working there from June 1st and applied for my pgwp on the June 20th

I got my transcripts on 13th May and on 1st June I received my graduation letter from the college.

Now according to this thread what I have learned is that I wasn't supposed to work after I received my graduation letter (1st June) but I did and worked till 20th June which is when I applied for my pgwp. Now this means I worked with no authorization (40hrs/week) between 1st June-20th June. Cutting off the weekends and 1 sick day I had between 1st-20th June I worked 13 days with no authorization. I also did not mention this in my application as for pgwp as I had no idea about it (got to know about it a few days ago)

Guys, please tell me how tight my situation is, I know the Canadian government allowed international students to work for 40 hours due to COVID-19 but that was only for essential workers and my job doesn't come in that category. Please help as it been 37 days since I applied for my pgwp and I am scared that it might get rejected due to this.

Sarasrh

Feb 9, 2020
Hello Guys,
I have been going through this thread and let me tell you all I am really nervous.

I got my transcripts on 13th May and on 1st June I received my graduation letter from the college.

Now according to this thread what I have learned is that I wasn't supposed to work after I received my graduation letter (1st June) but I did and worked till 20th June which is when I applied for my pgwp. Now this means I worked with no authorization (40hrs/week) between 1st June-20th June. Cutting off the weekends and 1 sick day I had between 1st-20th June I worked 13 days with no authorization. I also did not mention this in my application as for pgwp as I had no idea about it (got to know about it a few days ago)

Guys, please tell me how tight my situation is, I know the Canadian government allowed international students to work for 40 hours due to COVID-19 but that was only for essential workers and my job doesn't come in that category. Please help as it been 37 days since I applied for my pgwp and I am scared that it might get rejected due to this.
Hello Guys,

Don't be worry. They are nice.

Sarasrh

Feb 9, 2020
are you sure? I am really scared and due to this stupidity of mine, I think I might get deported or banned.
Yes, I was in the same situation.
Just read what people have done, some wrote an excuse letter (also me) and some not. Read about these things and decide.
However, whatever is your decision does not matter and they will not punish you. Do not be worry if everything with your document is fine.

sidcome

Jul 28, 2020
Yes, I was in the same situation.
Just read what people have done, some wrote an excuse letter (also me) and some not. Read about these things and decide.
However, whatever is your decision does not matter and they will not punish you. Do not be worry if everything with your document is fine.
what do you mean by "whatever is your decision does not matter and they will not punish you"

Sarasrh

Feb 9, 2020
what do you mean by "whatever is your decision does not matter and they will not punish you"
I mean whether you submit an excuse letter or not, there is no need to be worry. Some people submitted and they got their work permit and some people did not submit yet they got their work permit. There is no specific rule. I have submitted and described in the letter that I was not aware of this. And, I got my work permit.
I can understand your feeling now. But, if all of your submitted documents are in line with their regulation except for your ignorance, do not be worry they will not deport you. They are nice and understand us.