Star Member
Sep 1, 2018
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
07-04-2023
Hello everyone,
I know many people go through the same terrifying wait, but I know I messed up and I would like to hear some good advice.

So my story is:

I studied in Canada at Fanshawe college 2014-2016, then in York University 2016-2019 (Diploma and Degree). I started a full-time job in June 2019 and graduated the same month, but could pick up my degree only in September (degree letter form June, Official Transcript from September). That is when I applied for PGWP on 12th. When I started a full-time job I researched and found out that I could work full-time as long as I apply for PGWP within 180 days of completion of studies.

Only now I realized that a lot of details were missing on cic website as to eligibility of working in between graduation and applying (which you can find on many other pages and put them together to get the picture of my screw up). I mentioned my job in my occupation in the application as well, and I am very scared it will be rejected because of unauthorized work.

Do you think submitting a Letter of explanation through web form with my sincere apology will win their heart and let them forgive me? Can my 5 years studies somehow cover the fact that I worked for 3 months? Do they always check if you worked during that period?

Last edited:

tankarla

Star Member
Aug 26, 2019
You may have flouted the regulations . You are only allowed part time job till you officially pass. You have to immediately stop working moment you pass but you can restart full time job moment you apply for PGWP. Between the period you officially pass till you apply for PGWP you cannot work. The fact is, if you are full time you are likely to have broken your visa conditions. However if you are part time , you can wriggle out . Try explaining your case with flagpoling .

star.igg

Star Member
Sep 14, 2019
Hello everyone,
I know many people go through the same terrifying wait, but I know I messed up and I would like to hear some good advice.

So my story is:

I studied in Canada at Fanshawe college 2014-2016, then in York University 2016-2019 (Diploma and Degree). I started a full-time job in June 2019 and graduated the same month, but could pick up my degree only in September (degree letter form June, Official Transcript from September). That is when I applied for PGWP on 12th. When I started a full-time job I researched and found out that I could work full-time as long as I apply for PGWP within 180 days of completion of studies.

Only now I realized that a lot of details were missing on cic website as to eligibility of working in between graduation and applying (which you can find on many other pages and put them together to get the picture of my screw up). I mentioned my job in my occupation in the application as well, and I am very scared it will be rejected because of unauthorized work.

Do you think submitting a Letter of explanation through web form with my sincere apology will win their heart and let them forgive me? Can my 5 years studies somehow cover the fact that I worked for 3 months? Do they always check if you worked during that period?
Submitting a webform is not advisable. Your best bet is to wait and see what happens.

Daria13

Star Member
Sep 1, 2018
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
07-04-2023
You may have flouted the regulations . You are only allowed part time job till you officially pass. You have to immediately stop working moment you pass but you can restart full time job moment you apply for PGWP. Between the period you officially pass till you apply for PGWP you cannot work. The fact is, if you are full time you are likely to have broken your visa conditions. However if you are part time , you can wriggle out . Try explaining your case with flagpoling .
Can I flagpole if I had submitted my application online? How do the government know that i worked full time? My work wasn't hourly based

tankarla

Star Member
Aug 26, 2019
Can I flagpole if I had submitted my application online? How do the government know that i worked full time? My work wasn't hourly based
I think they would be able to view the online application in the system . Not sure , but I read it somewhere in this forum . It may not be prudent to change particulars in the application before the authorities during flagpoling. In the alternative , as suggested above , you can wait for your online application to be considered. . I don't know how the govt will know whether you were full-time or not but you were not allowed to work ( part time or full time ) from the date of degree completion letter ( if the letter is dated June , then June ) till you apply for PGWP application. They may go by what you have filled in your pgwp application form but if your employer has given your details to tax authorities , they would certainly know.
By the way , your employer is also at fault for employing you. But that is no reason in your case.

Daria13

Star Member
Sep 1, 2018
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
07-04-2023
I think they would be able to view the online application in the system . Not sure , but I read it somewhere in this forum . It may not be prudent to change particulars in the application before the authorities during flagpoling. In the alternative , as suggested above , you can wait for your online application to be considered. . I don't know how the govt will know whether you were full-time or not but you were not allowed to work ( part time or full time ) from the date of degree completion letter ( if the letter is dated June , then June ) till you apply for PGWP application. They may go by what you have filled in your pgwp application form but if your employer has given your details to tax authorities , they would certainly know.
By the way , your employer is also at fault for employing you. But that is no reason in your case.
Yeah, I just realized I also submitted my employment letter so that makes it 100times worse. I am lost right now. If they reject me, it will be past 180day period so I won't have another chance

tankarla

Star Member
Aug 26, 2019
I think best would be for you to make a prayer petition in your web form clearly explaining your mistake and requesting for condoning the unintentional error that has been committed.
However do take more advice on this issue, as I am new to this forum.

Daria13

Star Member
Sep 1, 2018
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
07-04-2023
I think best would be for you to make a prayer petition in your web form clearly explaining your mistake and requesting for condoning the unintentional error that has been committed.
However do take more advice on this issue, as I am new to this forum.
I am considering calling CIC on monday and then emailed my University seeking for a professional advice. If nothing helps, I might get a lawyer, even though it is very expensive.
Also thinking about a letter as people say if you own up to your mistakes, the officer might feel for you. But that would mean submitting via webform which people on the forum do not recommend.

tankarla

Star Member
Aug 26, 2019
My personal take ... Also , if you consider risk worthy , do leave your job immediately and mention it in your web form that moment you realised that you have broken the rules you suo moto left the job and are waiting for a response on the PGWP to start the jobs again . This way you can show your genuineness in following rules.

Daria13

Star Member
Sep 1, 2018
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
07-04-2023
My personal take ... Also , if you consider risk worthy , do leave your job immediately and mention it in your web form that moment you realised that you have broken the rules you suo moto left the job and are waiting for a response on the PGWP to start the jobs again . This way you can show your genuineness in following rules.
I realized it 2weeks after submitting application, at which point I am allowed to work

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
They cant check your work hours but you included enough information to burn yourself, why include the employment contract thats not even required for open work permit.
I dont think sending more messages highlight your mistake is a great idea.

Maybe risking the flagpole is the best option, if you get rejected because of rules violation applying again will not help also lawyer wont be able to do much.

star.igg

Star Member
Sep 14, 2019
-Flagpoling is high risk as you would be interviewed in person.
-Your honesty at this point does not really matter as you have already worked illegally and qualify to be penalized. Remember, this is not a court system where you present your case and jury sides with you as you show remorse. CIC works with a set of rules and hands out decisions based on that. You can however choose to go to court once you have received a decision.
-Submitting a webform will 100% jeopardize your situation, atleast imo.
- Right now there is a possibility of them simply overlooking it and approving your PGWP so I personally won't try to bring more attention?

Regardless, it's your decision and this is strictly my view.

Daria13

Star Member
Sep 1, 2018
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
07-04-2023
-Flagpoling is high risk as you would be interviewed in person.
-Your honesty at this point does not really matter as you have already worked illegally and qualify to be penalized. Remember, this is not a court system where you present your case and jury sides with you as you show remorse. CIC works with a set of rules and hands out decisions based on that. You can however choose to go to court once you have received a decision.
-Submitting a webform will 100% jeopardize your situation, atleast imo.
- Right now there is a possibility of them simply overlooking it and approving your PGWP so I personally won't try to bring more attention?

Regardless, it's your decision and this is strictly my view.
So you think they can overlook my employment letter of September 11(one day before application date) and still grant me approval? I uploaded that because at that time I thought it is good show that I already have work, aka job offer

star.igg

Star Member
Sep 14, 2019
So you think they can overlook my employment letter of September 11(one day before application date) and still grant me approval? I uploaded that because at that time I thought it is good show that I already have work, aka job offer
You will be surprised. Lol.