+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Unable to obtain police clearance certificate

ALTaylor

Star Member
May 11, 2017
I do not have a criminal record but I have been unable to obtain a police clearance certificate for China. I am thinking of submitting an affidavit as well as emails to back up the reason. It's really difficult to obtain one as they do not have a proper government system to deal with queries or submit an application. Has anyone had this sort of issue before and how did you or can you handle it?

Houzi

Star Member
Jun 6, 2017
Hi! I have similar problem. Stayed in China as student and travelled a lot on business (F) or tourist (L) visa later. Unfortunately, you can get PCC for time spent there as resident (student, work) only. But not for F and L visas. I obtained PCC for my study period, used an agent to do so. Costs money, but I'm not in China now, so it was the only solution. Some guys on this forum mentioned having same problem. Some got PCC for study and work time, the rest they covered by LoE. One guy claimed to get his PR already :) I advise you to at least try getting a PCC, even if you cannot do it for the whole period, and then provide evidence showing you tried communicating with local police ect (like emails) or agents.

Reactions: ALTaylor

Houzi

Star Member
Jun 6, 2017
If you decide to use an agent, look for a chinese agency. I met some law firms run by expats, they will charge you like wow! Chinese agency will cost around USD700. Still expensive, but cheaper than first option.

ALTaylor

Star Member
May 11, 2017
Thank for your advice. It is very useful. I have found someone through a Chinese connection that will not charge much for a PCC in Beijing but I am struggling to find someone in Shenzhen that can help me with my situation. I saw that there is a website that charges foreigners about USD700 (shocking amount!). I just wish that the Chinese government could make this process easier for us. I don't have a criminal record but it's a complete nightmare to prove it. Perhaps the officers will understand this – as other people must have the same problem. I will need to do a LoE as you suggested and trust that it will be accepted. You have given me a bit of hope.

Houzi

Star Member
Jun 6, 2017
If you worked in Shenzhen, try asking your employer for help. They can provide you with a certificate of good conduct (not sure about name), it is used to get PCC in China and based on employers records. Not sure if you just bring it to notary or to police first?You may add it to your LoE too.

Houzi

Star Member
Jun 6, 2017
Hi, ALTaylor! I'm writing to say that there is a definite chance to get a PR with incomplete PCC from China, since I just got my PR this morning! Yes!!! I had a PCC for my period of studying, and couldn't provide PCC for all visits to China on F and L visas (multiple), including staying in Guangzhou for 2 and 3 months. My LoE was accepted. I attached mails to/from agents to LoE, showing its impossible to arrange PCC for F and L visas. So, good luck! We can do it!
Case processed by Ottawa, not by my local VO.
My timeline: May 10 - AOR;
June 23 - medical passed, BC changed to: you application is in progress.
July 23 - BC changed to: we're prosessing your background check.
Aug 10 - emailed CIC to inquire which VO is processing my case.
Aug 15 - got reply saying: your application has been approved and is being processed as per our regulatory timeline.
Aug 17 - PPR!

Last edited:

ALTaylor

Star Member
May 11, 2017
Wow! Great news. I submitted a few days before you. I'm holding thumbs!
Congratulations and best of luck for your adventure. I hope you will be happy in Canada.

Reactions: Houzi

imrankhan2015

Star Member
Oct 13, 2015
I also couldn't get PCC from China and included a detailed letter of explanation with my application. I'm 7th April AOR and passed medical on July 28th. Since then, I'm at IP1 and Background check status saying we are processing your application, we will send you a message when we start your BG check. I hope they must be doing some verification with Chinese authorities regarding my criminality checks.

Green Stone

Star Member
Aug 16, 2017
I do not have a criminal record but I have been unable to obtain a police clearance certificate for China. I am thinking of submitting an affidavit as well as emails to back up the reason. It's really difficult to obtain one as they do not have a proper government system to deal with queries or submit an application. Has anyone had this sort of issue before and how did you or can you handle it?
Describe your situation in LOE and attach copy of mail or request you submitted to concerned department for obtaining PCC from China .

ALTaylor

Star Member
May 11, 2017
Yes, it can be done! I have been successful in obtaining PPR. I think the immigration officials understand that China is a difficult country to get a PCC from. Please don't let this issue hold you back from applying. Just be careful to explain your situation as clearly as you can in an affidavit or LOE, and perhaps submit emails/evidence proving that you have made serious attempts to obtain it.

Reactions: 2pac and Houzi

imrankhan2015

Star Member
Oct 13, 2015
Yes, it can be done! I have been successful in obtaining PPR. I think the immigration officials understand that China is a difficult country to get a PCC from. Please don't let this issue hold you back from applying. Just be careful to explain your situation as clearly as you can in an affidavit or LOE, and perhaps submit emails/evidence proving that you have made serious attempts to obtain it.
Congratulations for the PPR!!!

Can you please confirm how long did it take for you to move from IP1 to NA2?

I've the same issue that I was unable to submit chinese pcc. My medical is passed on 28th July and I'm waiting in IP1 since then, no further updates :/. They just told me that my file is still at CIO sydney nova scotia. It is yet to be transferred to LVO.

ALTaylor

Star Member
May 11, 2017
Congratulations for the PPR!!!

Can you please confirm how long did it take for you to move from IP1 to NA2?

I've the same issue that I was unable to submit chinese pcc. My medical is passed on 28th July and I'm waiting in IP1 since then, no further updates :/. They just told me that my file is still at CIO sydney nova scotia. It is yet to be transferred to LVO.
Thank you very much.

I submitted all my documents on 17 July. I passed the medical on 27 July. I did not notice the transition from IP1 to NA2 and did not receive any emails. I then got PPR on 22 August. I'm not sure if that helps? I noticed that other people who applied at the same time got their applications processed a lot quicker so CIC probably take a bit longer to process our paperwork or do background checks. I would not worry. You should be fine! It sounds like everything is on track. Good luck!

Reactions: Houzi

chente

Mar 1, 2017
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I also couldn't get PCC from China and included a detailed letter of explanation with my application. I'm 7th April AOR and passed medical on July 28th. Since then, I'm at IP1 and Background check status saying we are processing your application, we will send you a message when we start your BG check. I hope they must be doing some verification with Chinese authorities regarding my criminality checks.
Any news on your background? Also had this issue with the PCC in China, my application is in IP1 since Aug 21, passed medicals yesterday. Hope you moved to NA2 already!

imrankhan2015

Star Member
Oct 13, 2015
Any news on your background? Also had this issue with the PCC in China, my application is in IP1 since Aug 21, passed medicals yesterday. Hope you moved to NA2 already!
No, I am still at ip1 since 28th july. Don't know how long will it take. A couple of weeks ago I contacted them. They told me that my file is still at sydney, nova Scotia. No further info was provided. I will wait till few more days and then I will order gcms notes

chente

Mar 1, 2017
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, I am still at ip1 since 28th july. Don't know how long will it take. A couple of weeks ago I contacted them. They told me that my file is still at sydney, nova Scotia. No further info was provided. I will wait till few more days and then I will order gcms notes
Oh ok, mine changed to NA2 today. Good luck!