+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Unable to get employment reference letter

Andy Bandy

Oct 19, 2016
Hello Folks,

I am applying under CEC . Noc Category B . I completed one year with the company and my contract ended. The issue is my company isn't providing me an employment reference letter and I am having a tough time convincing my coworkers to write me a similar letter .

What can I do in this matter ?

I have other supporting documents such as t4 , paystubs and my contracts.

However . I have one issue , my contract letter was not signed by my company HR . But it's on a letter head though. Would that be an issue?

csadangi

Jul 1, 2017
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Edmonton
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
17-07-2019
Doc's Request.
Additional documents submitted upfront on 16-08-19
AOR Received.
17-07-2019
IELTS Request
Jan-2019
Med's Done....
16-08-2019
Hello Folks,

I am applying under CEC . Noc Category B . I completed one year with the company and my contract ended. The issue is my company isn't providing me an employment reference letter and I am having a tough time convincing my coworkers to write me a similar letter .

However . I have one issue , my contract letter was not signed by my company HR . But it's on a letter head though. Would that be an issue?
Unfortunately no. CIC requires a reference letter. You need the reference letter either from your boss or HR or you can try to get it from your colleagues.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
IRCC does allow you to provide an explanation whenever one of the documents you need to provide cannot be provided.

However, being the Canadian work experience a key component of the CEC you will have to build your case very well to convince the officer that what you are stating is true. Providing everything you have to support your claims should help build your case and they might cut you some slack.

It is hard to say though. If by no means you can get those letters, I would give it a try. There is nothing to lose anyways he?

Good luck.

I would also try to talk to them personally and explain that you only need a letter describing what you did while you worked there (it can be your manager, not necessarily HR) and that this does not mean it will be used to sponsor your application. Only as proof of what you did there and that with it they are not committing to anything.

Cheers!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hello Folks,

Any time you cannot provide what IRCC is asking for, you have to write a letter of explanation - in your case, that your former employer is refusing to give the letter - and include evidence (e.g. an email from the company stating that they will not provide the letter of reference).

Then, you have to provide alternative documentation...

Those are all good and very important. However, you still need something from someone describing your job duties and responsibilities. An unofficial letter from a manager or colleague or a client, for example.

??? Are you saying it is not signed at all by anyone, or are you concerned that it is signed by someone other than HR?

Asking because a lot of people think the letter has to come from HR, when in fact it does not have to be issued by HR. In fact, IRCC prefers that the letter come from your direct supervisor.

Andy Bandy

Oct 19, 2016
IRCC does allow you to provide an explanation whenever one of the documents you need to provide cannot be provided.

However, being the Canadian work experience a key component of the CEC you will have to build your case very well to convince the officer that what you are stating is true. Providing everything you have to support your claims should help build your case and they might cut you some slack.

It is hard to say though. If by no means you can get those letters, I would give it a try. There is nothing to lose anyways he?

Good luck.

I would also try to talk to them personally and explain that you only need a letter describing what you did while you worked there (it can be your manager, not necessarily HR) and that this does not mean it will be used to sponsor your application. Only as proof of what you did there and that with it they are not committing to anything.

Cheers!

So I tried my best to speak to them , non of my supervisors are willing to acknowledge , I tried writing emails, but they have no replied to my emails and instead provided me with an employment record from cra.

I am really confused .

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
So I tried my best to speak to them , non of my supervisors are willing to acknowledge , I tried writing emails, but they have no replied to my emails and instead provided me with an employment record from cra.

I am really confused .
May I ask where did you work?

I can't honestly understand this attitude from them.

However, you shouldn't feel hopeless. Get copies from all the emails you have sent, showing that no response has been received. When you signed your contract, which I am assuming you did, there should be some sort of description, (at least your title there). I would not imagine you worked without actually signing any contract or something like that

Andy Bandy

Oct 19, 2016
May I ask where did you work?

I can't honestly understand this attitude from them.

However, you shouldn't feel hopeless. Get copies from all the emails you have sent, showing that no response has been received. When you signed your contract, which I am assuming you did, there should be some sort of description, (at least your title there). I would not imagine you worked without actually signing any contract or something like that

Thank you for responding.

Well I am also kinda annoyed with their behavior being a top manufacturing company , this is least expected.

My offer letter does have my title , my hourly wage , terms and conditions. Contract period , but has no job description mentioned . Also when i recieved it , there was no signature from no company official .

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
The record of employment (ROE) is a useful document that you can submit as well. . As well, if you wrote to request a letter and that was their response, it may be the proof you need of their refusal to provide the letter.

Reactions: Andy Bandy

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Thank you for responding.

Well I am also kinda annoyed with their behavior being a top manufacturing company , this is least expected.

My offer letter does have my title , my hourly wage , terms and conditions. Contract period , but has no job description mentioned . Also when i recieved it , there was no signature from no company official .
The biggest issue is the lack of a job description. Do you have anything written, anywhere, of a job description?

Andy Bandy

Oct 19, 2016
The biggest issue is the lack of a job description. Do you have anything written, anywhere, of a job description?
Unfortunately I do not have. I plan on writing a self declaration notarized.

At this point of time , rather than getting low I think I'll take a risk. Hopefully things may not may not work.

Andy Bandy

Oct 19, 2016
The record of employment (ROE) is a useful document that you can submit as well. . As well, if you wrote to request a letter and that was their response, it may be the proof you need of their refusal to provide the letter.
Thank you for the response. I will get in touch with my manager again , maybe a last time and then decide on what I can do. Hoping for the best .

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Unfortunately I do not have. I plan on writing a self declaration notarized.
Self-declarations are invalid and notarization is a waste of money.

You need a third party to describe your job duties and responsibilities.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Well . Thanks though. Maybe I'll have to find another alternative.
Sorry, didn´t mean to be so blunt, I´ve just seen a lot of people going the "self-declaration" route lately and being surprised when they are refused, just wanted to make sure you didn´t go down that path...