+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

UK Tax requirements from Canada

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Bit of a strange one here, wondering if anyone has had this experience?

Been here on a work permit over 2 years, COPR ready to go once i get back from a vacation. Then today I get a letter from a bank saying "We need your confirmation about where you're a tax resident".
Admittedly, the bank has been useless at updating my personal details so it's only recently they got my address right ... but I've not had this from another bank (well, building society) that was able to get all that right years ago.

They want all kinds of details, very badly detailed, but seem to indicate I need lawyers/banks to sign things and the best part is requesting a photocopy of my passport issued by the jurisdiction in which you claim to be resident - well that's Canada, but clearly I don't have a Canadian passport.

Oh, and they want it within 30 days, it took 7 just for the letter to arrive.

All seems very odd. I'm tempted to close the account.

BlessedSherry

Aug 25, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06/09/2014
Doc's Request.
17th March 16, docs sent 2nd April
AOR Received.
07/01/2015
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
not required
Passport Req..
Visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
Copr 14.04.2016
LANDED..........
...Waiting
jc94 said:
Bit of a strange one here, wondering if anyone has had this experience?

Been here on a work permit over 2 years, COPR ready to go once i get back from a vacation. Then today I get a letter from a bank saying "We need your confirmation about where you're a tax resident".
Admittedly, the bank has been useless at updating my personal details so it's only recently they got my address right ... but I've not had this from another bank (well, building society) that was able to get all that right years ago.

They want all kinds of details, very badly detailed, but seem to indicate I need lawyers/banks to sign things and the best part is requesting a photocopy of my passport issued by the jurisdiction in which you claim to be resident - well that's Canada, but clearly I don't have a Canadian passport.

Oh, and they want it within 30 days, it took 7 just for the letter to arrive.

All seems very odd. I'm tempted to close the account.
which bank?
in the uk?
Im planning to do my landing soon, but I wont be telling them I'm leaving the country.
Im with santander & when I was away working in Canada for 2 years I didnt tell them anything, and never got questioned...
I' will change the address to a relatives address, and keep maybe 100£ or so in the account to keep it going...

My canadian bank, well I don't know if they've written to me, I've been away almost 2 years, but all seems well...

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Natwest, in the UK. Not been an issue for two years though it's taken almost that long to get them to update my address correctly.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
jc94 said:
Natwest, in the UK. Not been an issue for two years though it's taken almost that long to get them to update my address correctly.
We have both a Natwest and an HSBC account in the UK still and neither of them had any problems with changing the accounts to a Canadian address. Tax is irrelevant to either of the banks as they are not interest generating accounts. Is yours interest generating?

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Not any more, closed the e-saver one end of December 2015.

I finally got through to the phone number they gave (after validated it) - which took four attempts.
Apparently it's part of some new FATCO (or similar?) regulation and is needed even if not generating interest.

To be honest she was really unhelpful as there are all these questions about listing "All countries where, for the purposes of taxation, the account holder is a tax resident or citizen". Which to me at least isn't clear because I'm not a tax expert nor do I want to pay one hundreds of dollars. The claim was she's not a tax expert yet they are the ones requesting I provide all this information.
For the countries listed they want NI/SIN number. The passport details, again is misleading, but it sounds like this is not needed unless they list incorrect details.

They've been sending the letters since January as it takes a long time. Yet they want a reply within 30 days. Will be interesting to see if my other building society does anything.
And if anyone else gets one from Natwest!

Oh, and the envelope is exempt from postage... but apparently not from here so I need to also put a stamp on it.

Apparently if one doesn't reply they don't fine you or anything, just respond to (UK tax?) that there was no response.