+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

UK or CANADA

fromdubai

Aug 1, 2010
sonea said:
classic example qouted .. i also don't agree with london has less racism .. i know about banking sector, they r not offering good positions to the immigrats they are only offering entry level positions to the immigrats dispite bieng better than their own managers they are working under them.. also i dont agree with only london bieng expensive its all of the UK i dont know when was the last time you visited but right now the talking about only VAT, its 23 percent here so doesnt make it cheap in any way gas/electricity is toooooo expensive in UK.. finally another bad news about UK its going in double recession next year !!
I was last in Oct 2011 in UK ;)

sonea

Nov 7, 2008
Canada
App. Filed.......
11-08-2008
AOR Received.
20-aug-2008
IELTS Request
21-03-2011
File Transfer...
20-09-2010
Med's Request
11/11/11
Med's Done....
28/11/11, recieved by VO 12/12/11
Passport Req..
05/Jan/2012
VISA ISSUED...
29th Feb
LANDED..........
2nd July 2012
hondubai said:
I want to add that the only place I enjoyed in the Uk was Scotland, specially Glascow; more friendly, accomodating and affordable compared to England. May be if you have already lived for long time in the UK you can survive; but moving to the UK now would be a bit risky. The future belongs to Canada.
agreed

TMSB

Oct 21, 2009
Hi all,

I really appreciate the comments you made and the points you mentioned. The problem is in UK if you work, you should pay NI contribution, income tax, pension, road tax, MOT, car insurance very expensive, councils tax, VAT tax, petrol expensive, congestion charge in London, toll charge on motor ways, tunnel charge....etc. Consequently, even if you have over 30000£ annual salary no way you can save something. But at the same time, I've never been in Canada before and don't know about the salary levels and taxs and other contributions are they similar or not?

Regards

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
TMSB said:
Hi all,

I really appreciate the comments you made and the points you mentioned. The problem is in UK if you work, you should pay NI contribution, income tax, pension, road tax, MOT, car insurance very expensive, councils tax, VAT tax, petrol expensive, congestion charge in London, toll charge on motor ways, tunnel charge....etc. Consequently, even if you have over 30000£ annual salary no way you can save something. But at the same time, I've never been in Canada before and don't know about the salary levels and taxs and other contributions are they similar or not?

Regards
I've never been to UK before, but my brother lives and work in the midlands. He didn't complain the same. Is it just London that expensive?

sonea

Nov 7, 2008
Canada
App. Filed.......
11-08-2008
AOR Received.
20-aug-2008
IELTS Request
21-03-2011
File Transfer...
20-09-2010
Med's Request
11/11/11
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
05/Jan/2012
VISA ISSUED...
29th Feb
LANDED..........
2nd July 2012
steaky said:
I've never been to UK before, but my brother lives and work in the midlands. He didn't complain the same. Is it just London that expensive?
no its all of the UK but london is the most expensive of all

fromdubai

Aug 1, 2010
TMSB said:
Hi all,

Regards
Salaries are lower in Canada however cost of living is relatively more cheaper (other than Toronto and Vancouver), so if live in Manitoba or upper Canada for instance, surely cost of living is much cheaper.

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
I definitely don't think salaries are lower in Canada than the UK. My fiancé is earning almost double his UK salary doing the same job role, and he had a good salary in England, my brother in law earns ridiculously more than he did before he moved here.
With the lower cost of living we have a much better lifestyle than we could ever have hoped for in England.

MKRS

Jul 20, 2011
Hi,

I am born and bred in the UK... and have been fortunate enough to visit Canada a number of times.

Each country has it's pro's and con's

UK is such a tiny country compared to Canada, but it is one of the most wanted countries for people to move to... why? Because for starters the NHS - ok so it is free but the working Brits do contribute to it by paying taxes via employment.

The police, ambulance, fire services 24-7 / 365 days a year service... and yes it's free but that's what we pay our council taxes for. VAT is high at 20% but the cost of clothing, food, is generally pretty cheap... there is a lot of competition amongst the major supermarkets, hence there are always a lot of deals, getting points on your shopping at certain supermarkets and then receiving points, which the supermarket then post you vouchers, which can be redeemed against your next shop.... or you could shop at the even cheaper supermarkets where there can be super-ooba cheaper deals.

The road tax that we pay is towards road/motorway improvements and repairs.

This country also has the biggest free-loaders in the World - yes the UK's benefit system for unemployed people.... then also there are the incentives for lower income families, where their money is topped up with working family tax credits....

The weather is not as volatile especially our winters, compared to Canada. Ok so our summers are not that great either! That's why Brits love their holidays abroad.

Schooling - this is free for kids in full time education up until the age of 18.

The UK has a lot of History, old buildings, plenty of historical sight seeing.... and really is on the doorstep to the World with the East and West at distances... i.e. 8-hours flight to Canada, and 8-hours to India

Houses are much smaller than Canada, but then again we dont have as much land as they do.....

Jobs: Depends on your occupations - if your a professional then you can earn a good living and have good quality living... the higher your job status then of course the higher your salary.... everyone has to start at the bottom and work their way up.

The flip side of the coin

Canada, a very beautiful scenic country, wide open spaces, huge houses, big roads... however if your planning on moving to Vancouver the houses are minimum $400,000 so I hope that you have got good savings... It saddened me to see people my parents age 60+ working at the airports doing cleaning jobs just to make ends meet... Canada doesnt have a free health system as you have to pay an insurance premium unless you have a good employer, whose benefits include health care cover.

I found that Canadian's live life on credit cards, line of credit... and families and friends can get competitive with each other e.g. if I own a 4-bedroomed house then your cuz will have to beat you on that and buy a 6-bedroom house.

VAT in BC is about 12% and Calgary its about 6%... but I found food and clothing to be considerably more expensive in Canada.

Hope this helps... :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MKRS, Canada health care is included in the tax for the most part except in BC, you have to pay a monthly fee also, not that it is high and low income people can be exempted. The employer coverage is a supplementary health coverage for things that the health care doesn't cover. For example dental work, eye glasses, hearing aids, medication etc. They may also include massages, acupuncture, podiatrist care etc. You generally do not need a good employer to get supplementary health coverage. Most employers offer it.

Police and fire services are also free in Canada but I think there is a fixed fee for using the ambulance.

Stores in Canada also offer points and vouchers. I think you get that everywhere in the world.

You are however right that Canada does not have a strong social safety net but if you know that, you know you must take steps to secure your own retirement while you are still young.

sonea

Nov 7, 2008
Canada
App. Filed.......
11-08-2008
AOR Received.
20-aug-2008
IELTS Request
21-03-2011
File Transfer...
20-09-2010
Med's Request
11/11/11
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
05/Jan/2012
VISA ISSUED...
29th Feb
LANDED..........
2nd July 2012

fromdubai

Aug 1, 2010
MKRS said:
Hi,

I am born and bred in the UK... and have been fortunate enough to visit Canada a number of times.

Each country has it's pro's and con's

UK is such a tiny country compared to Canada, but it is one of the most wanted countries for people to move to... why? Because for starters the NHS - ok so it is free but the working Brits do contribute to it by paying taxes via employment.

The police, ambulance, fire services 24-7 / 365 days a year service... and yes it's free but that's what we pay our council taxes for. VAT is high at 20% but the cost of clothing, food, is generally pretty cheap... there is a lot of competition amongst the major supermarkets, hence there are always a lot of deals, getting points on your shopping at certain supermarkets and then receiving points, which the supermarket then post you vouchers, which can be redeemed against your next shop.... or you could shop at the even cheaper supermarkets where there can be super-ooba cheaper deals.

The road tax that we pay is towards road/motorway improvements and repairs.

This country also has the biggest free-loaders in the World - yes the UK's benefit system for unemployed people.... then also there are the incentives for lower income families, where their money is topped up with working family tax credits....

The weather is not as volatile especially our winters, compared to Canada. Ok so our summers are not that great either! That's why Brits love their holidays abroad.

Schooling - this is free for kids in full time education up until the age of 18.

The UK has a lot of History, old buildings, plenty of historical sight seeing.... and really is on the doorstep to the World with the East and West at distances... i.e. 8-hours flight to Canada, and 8-hours to India

Houses are much smaller than Canada, but then again we dont have as much land as they do.....

Jobs: Depends on your occupations - if your a professional then you can earn a good living and have good quality living... the higher your job status then of course the higher your salary.... everyone has to start at the bottom and work their way up.

The flip side of the coin

Canada, a very beautiful scenic country, wide open spaces, huge houses, big roads... however if your planning on moving to Vancouver the houses are minimum $400,000 so I hope that you have got good savings... It saddened me to see people my parents age 60+ working at the airports doing cleaning jobs just to make ends meet... Canada doesnt have a free health system as you have to pay an insurance premium unless you have a good employer, whose benefits include health care cover.

I found that Canadian's live life on credit cards, line of credit... and families and friends can get competitive with each other e.g. if I own a 4-bedroomed house then your cuz will have to beat you on that and buy a 6-bedroom house.

VAT in BC is about 12% and Calgary its about 6%... but I found food and clothing to be considerably more expensive in Canada.

Hope this helps... :)
correct :)

TMSB

Oct 21, 2009
Leon,

Many thanks for your contribution and of course others as well. I/we really need such a discussion to get all of us aware of what can we get and what can't.

I personally think from what I've heard and read that Canada is definitely better for future and long term aims. I also forget to add here that if you have a baby and you and your partner work you should put the baby in a nursery which ost honestly around £750/month, so imagine if you have 2 babies? It's really unaffordable. I'm not sure how about in Canada?

Regards