+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

UK ISAs and SIPPs

Berty3000

Star Member
Jan 17, 2017
Hello,

I have PR and plan to settle later in the year. My question has to do with the way in which income from savings is taxed.

I understand that the UK's tax free savings ISA only applies to the UK. So from the point I land in Canada, tax would need to be paid to the Canadian government on income from those savings. Or for stocks and shares ISAs, any gains within those accounts. Is this right?

What I would like to know is how SIPPs are treated. If I spend four years in Canada, and don't draw any money from the SIPP, but it grows in value - is the "income" (growth) taxable? The SIPP is a type of self managed pension btw. The growth would not be subject to taxation within the UK.

Thanks in advance.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hello,

I have PR and plan to settle later in the year. My question has to do with the way in which income from savings is taxed.

I understand that the UK's tax free savings ISA only applies to the UK. So from the point I land in Canada, tax would need to be paid to the Canadian government on income from those savings. Or for stocks and shares ISAs, any gains within those accounts. Is this right?

What I would like to know is how SIPPs are treated. If I spend four years in Canada, and don't draw any money from the SIPP, but it grows in value - is the "income" (growth) taxable? The SIPP is a type of self managed pension btw. The growth would not be subject to taxation within the UK.

Thanks in advance.
My understanding is that once you have left the UK as a physical resident, you will be forced by your bank to close the ISA account. This certainly happened to my wife. I can't answer for SIPP.

Berty3000

Star Member
Jan 17, 2017
That's not my understanding. As far as I know, you wouldn't be able to contribute to an isa whilst a non UK resident, and the Canadian government would be entitled to tax any interest.

It would not be possible to contribute to a sipp either, but what I'd like to know is whether the Canadian government would be allowed to get its claws on any growth that might occur within the sipp given that it is a pension and will not be drawn on during any stay within Canada.