+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

UK Citizen marrying Canadian - I've so many questions!

SG81

Apr 15, 2013
I'm very new to the workings of a forum, so please let me know if I should be posting elsewhere!
I'm marrying my Canadia fiance this July. I'm Scottish, he's from Northern Ontario.
There seems to be SO much information to get through, it's quite daunting.
We're really not looking forward to being apart when married, but I have work commitments over here, as does he over there.
We were trying to decide whether to apply outland or outland for my visa once married. My fear is that if I stayed after we married (we're marrying in Northern Ontario when i'm there for a holiday this summer), it would take up to 2 years for my visa, and in this time I wouldn't be able to come home to see my family - nor would I be able to work. Does anyone know which is the best route to take? Outland or inland?
We thought outland would be better, what with the processing times being 9 months.. but to not be able to live together as man and wife in this time really gets us down (we're keen to start a family as soon as we've set up home together) as we can only see each other every couple of months in this time.
I really have no idea where to start! He'll be my spousal sponsor, but apart from this we don't know what to fill out, what fees we'll need to pay, or what happens during he full process.
Anyone who has been through this, I'd love it if you could explain the process, application, and fees - just so we know what to expect.
Has anyone had to wait longer than 9 months? (i hate the thought of this happening!)
The other thing we wondered was.. has anyone applied outland, then changed their mind and waited out inland for the visa to be processed here, returning for medical and interview?
I hope this makes sense! As I said... SO much to consider, and i'd love to be able to do this without playing the fees of an immigration lawyer
The other thing I was curious about was the medical. Do I send this in with his application? If so, where would I get such a medical? I'm assuming i'll have to go to London, but don't know where to start. We also considered me having it in Toronto, so if someone could point me in the right direction, that would be wonderful!

Thanks everyone x

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp is the basic starting point for an Outland application, which is what I would suggest.

Marry in Canada, apply outland through London.

The fees will come to $1040 CAD + medical (about £275) + PCC (about £50).

This is the process that we are using, except that my Canadian spouse is in the UK with me.

Medical must be done before submitting the application (you only send in a single package, which contains both sets of application forms etc). See http://www.cic.gc.ca/dmp-md/medicalinfo.aspx?CountryID=1877&CountryName=Scotland for local medical locations for you.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Outland definitely sounds better for you guys. Check out this outland London thread http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/thread-for-outland-london-uk-applications-t49436.9810.html. There is a spreadsheet in the signatures of several posters showing app progress; right now, apps are averaging around 7 months from submission to approval.

You are allowed to come to Canada at any time during an outland app and your partner can come with you as a tourist. My British partner and I came to Canada 5 months into our outland application. There is almost zero chance of you having an interview.

As zardoz said, medical needs to be done beforehand and included in the app. As for doing it in the UK or Canada, doesn't matter which, just shop around for the cheapest, as some of them are crazy expensive.

Don'y pay a consultant. For a straightforward app like yours, it is just a waste of money. Follow the checklists and guides, use these forums, and you'll be fine :)

riverrock55

Star Member
Nov 13, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-11-2012
AOR Received.
20-12-2012 (in-process 7-2-2013)
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
19-04-2013
LANDED..........
21-04-2013
Apply outland, it's not really a close decision imo. It sucks to be apart for nine months, but applying inland and not being able to work or travel (see family and friends) for two years will make you miserable and is not a good way to start your marriage. Also if you really want to see each other you can both take short visits or just ditch your work commitments.

Once you apply as outland or inland it is not possible to switch to the other.

Medical do wherever, as long as you find an approved doctor on the cic website. One big mistake people make is doing there medical right away and then start putting their application package together. Putting your application together will take time, maybe a couple months. Your medical is only good for 1 year, so if you do your medical and then don't get your application in for a few months, and say they take 9 months to process your application they will ask you to redo the medical, which costs another approx. $300 and will add big delays to your approval. Send in your application right after you do your medical exam to save time and money.

DO NOT pay a consultant or lawyer. English is the first language of both you and your spouse. Between the two of you, you should be able to figure out how to fill out the forms. Some parts aren't totally clear so if it doesn't make sense ask on the forums. I have seen people on these forums get screwed over by consultants and have their application take twice as long and cost twice as much as if they did it themselves. Just double check everything and you will be fine.

Be sure to get your family members to come to your wedding.
-Take lots of pictures. Pictures of you with his family, him with your family, your family meeting his family etc. Pictures say a thousand words and this is what can help your application more than anything.
-Also, keep all the boarding passes, invoices etc of any travel you or your spouse takes, even your family as additional proof they went to your wedding.
-If you havn't already set up a shared bank account asap! doesn't matter if you both have your own accounts separately. Be sure to pay wedding bills etc out of this account. you will need to send in bank statements with your application.

Canstralian/Oznadian

Star Member
Mar 27, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-03-2012
AOR Received.
04-07-2012
File Transfer...
25-06-2012
Med's Done....
09-01-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
09-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
30-04-2013, arrived in Canada 13-05-2013
LANDED..........
31-05-2013
Definitely outland, there is no residency requirement (if you apply inland you can't leave while your application is in process) and you have the right to appeal if your application is denied (not that it will be), if you apply inland you have no right of appeal.

Best of luck!! :D

SG81

Apr 15, 2013
Thanks everyone!

I found a place in Edinburgh which will do the medical, however it states on their website

"it is important that you contact your visa handler at the Department of Immigration to confirm the medical requirements of your visa before making an appointment"

Is this correct? If so, i'm not sure who to contact as I've downloaded all forms and we're currently filling them out without assistance.
We plan to send them off after our wedding in July.
Which tests should I book myself in for? Should we hold off until late June before getting the medical or do it after the wedding? Any advice?

Thanks again, all help is appreciated massively!x

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
You are requesting an "upfont medical" for a "spousal sponsorship in the Family Class".
That is all the information that they should need. All the paperwork relating to the IMM1017 or IMM1017B form will be provided by the panel physician.

riverrock55

Star Member
Nov 13, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-11-2012
AOR Received.
20-12-2012 (in-process 7-2-2013)
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
19-04-2013
LANDED..........
21-04-2013
SG81 said:
Which tests should I book myself in for? Should we hold off until late June before getting the medical or do it after the wedding? Any advice?
The doctor's office you make the appointment should know exactly what you need and be able to tell you what to do if they are CIC cerified doctor.

Yes! wait before doing the medical if you don't plan of sending in your application for a few months. I would go in to do your medical maybe 2 weeks before you plan to send in you application. Sending it in early greatly increases the likelihood of having to redo the medical making your whole process take longer and cost more.

herewecome

Dec 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-12-12
AOR Received.
17-01-13
File Transfer...
17-01-13
Med's Done....
07-12-12
VISA ISSUED...
18-07-2013
I second the outland route. Luckily we both live in the UK but you can still go to Canada as a 'visitor' and wait any of your 9 months wait out there if your work commitments cease.

There's a wealth of info on this forum on how to fill out the form. One tip though, it will take considerably longer than you anticipate. There's a police form in there and your fiancée needs a letter from his employers and to get his tax return together. So read through and work out what will take a bit longer to compile and get those items earlier on. A free trial of the best Adobe helps as some forms don't allow editing at a later date otherwise