+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

UK and Canada state pension question.

CalgaryWorker

Feb 27, 2017
I lived in Canada for two years in the past and didn’t contribute back in the UK, so I know that my pension will reduce. I also know that UK does not index link your pension if you live in Canada, although they do if you live in the US.

Now I'm back in Canada for two years since PR and I can still contribute back in UK to keep up to date. However I read that there is a “social security deal” if you live and work in Canada now and I don’t know whether that is either relevant or a good / bad thing based on this question:

If I work in Canada and pay for pension through my tax return, and I also keep up my voluntary contributions in the UK, am I therefore able to collect both state pensions in time?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

I lived in Canada for two years in the past and didn’t contribute back in the UK, so I know that my pension will reduce. I also know that UK does not index link your pension if you live in Canada, although they do if you live in the US.

Now I'm back in Canada for two years since PR and I can still contribute back in UK to keep up to date. However I read that there is a “social security deal” if you live and work in Canada now and I don’t know whether that is either relevant or a good / bad thing based on this question:

If I work in Canada and pay for pension through my tax return, and I also keep up my voluntary contributions in the UK, am I therefore able to collect both state pensions in time?
1. Yes, but check out the cost of N.I voluntarily contributions and the level.