Interview........
None
Passport Req..
DM 13-11-2015!!!
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 09-01-2016!!!!!
LANDED..........
21-05-2016!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i have good and bad news for you.. :-\ if the only reason he needs a van is for a mattress, don't bother renting a van.. prepare, instead, to buy a new mattress when he gets to Canada. Canada will NOT let you bring a used mattress over the border. i know this for an absolute fact, because i bought a new mattress at the beginning of July this year - awesome amazing mattress from an American company that does not deliver to Canada.. so i had it delivered to an address just across in Buffalo NY and i went across to get it. bringing it into Canada, they inspected it to make sure it was visibly new and wrapped in plastic, and they checked my receipts (both for duty purposes and to make sure the mattress was, in fact, brand new). they will not let a used mattress in. sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but glad i could give you that info before you rent the van and then have to jettison the mattress at the border!

fruitball4u

Star Member
Dec 6, 2014
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-05-2015
Doc's Request.
23-11-2015
AOR Received.
23-06-2015
File Transfer...
31-07-2015
Med's Done....
20-04-2015
Interview........
DM: 21-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR: 17-12-2015
LANDED..........
03-01-2016
WeeHippieElf said:
i have good and bad news for you.. :-\ if the only reason he needs a van is for a mattress, don't bother renting a van.. prepare, instead, to buy a new mattress when he gets to Canada. Canada will NOT let you bring a used mattress over the border. i know this for an absolute fact, because i bought a new mattress at the beginning of July this year - awesome amazing mattress from an American company that does not deliver to Canada.. so i had it delivered to an address just across in Buffalo NY and i went across to get it. bringing it into Canada, they inspected it to make sure it was visibly new and wrapped in plastic, and they checked my receipts (both for duty purposes and to make sure the mattress was, in fact, brand new). they will not let a used mattress in. sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but glad i could give you that info before you rent the van and then have to jettison the mattress at the border!
This isn't true. I moved from Seattle to Victoria two years ago with a used mattress and had absolutely no issues. They didn't even bother to check in the Uhaul to see what I had - and I had even made a detailed, itemized list of everything I brought with me.

But, at any rate, it honestly may just be cheaper to buy a new mattress. You can get a really nice on at Ikea or another similar store for not too much. It may be worth looking into this option too.

WeeHippieElf

Jul 20, 2015
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2015
Doc's Request.
10-11-2015
AOR Received.
04-06-2015
File Transfer...
06-08-2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
DM 13-11-2015!!!
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 09-01-2016!!!!!
LANDED..........
i literally went through this 20 days ago. when i crossed into the States i was told i couldn't bring back a used mattress, and when i was crossing back into Canada, they all but brought out the sniffer dogs to make sure the mattress was new. they may have gotten tougher since you brought your mattress over a few years ago. looking further into it, though, the rules on the government website state:

"Used or second-hand mattresses:

You cannot import used or second-hand mattresses into Canada unless you have a certificate, letter or any other document signed by a person qualified to clean and fumigate that clearly proves that the mattresses have been cleaned and fumigated."

nobody at either border mentioned this as a possibility, but apparently it's allowable.

so with the cost of the Uhaul and the cost of fumigating an old mattress, it might be cheaper and easier to just buy a new bed.

saria1

May 22, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 28, 2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
January 16, 2015
File Transfer...
January 23, 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
October 27, 2014
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
June 17, 2015
LANDED..........
June 30, 2015
Settlers bringing settler effects are allowed to bring their mattresses. CBSA will not allow a mattress to be brought over if you are already settled in Canada, with all your goods.

Morganhannah

Oct 7, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-03-2015
AOR Received.
18-04-2015
File Transfer...
28-04-2015
Med's Done....
13-02-2015
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
27-06-2015
saria1 said:
You lost me.... Did you deviate from the truck rental issue and move to a leased vehicle issue?

Since I'm on my way to bed, I'm going to respond as if I'm talking to you about a lease vehicle issue. No, you can't export and import a leased vehicle out of the US into Canada. If you are the one in a million who's lease company authorized it, you should run into no further issues. My experience, I had a leased Honda Crosstour, I turned it in 3 months early when I learned they would not allow me to export it out of the USA. After much reading, I went and bought a new car, thinking I would be one of the majority that would be able to export a financed car. Nope, not my case. So I had to go and pay off all our cars and get the titles in hand, this way nothing stood in the way of exporting the vehicles out of the country.

After all that... You said the export/import would be no problem, but registering it is an issue. How is that possible? If CBSA allows a vehicle to be imported, all should be good.
Yes, his leasing company gave him permission and all supporting documents to bring the truck across. Because his leasing company is only located in Michigan, and does not have a Canadian location service Ontario can't register it. Which is why the export and import wouldn't be an issue but the registering will. That's what made us go to this decision of renting a uhaul.

Morganhannah

Oct 7, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-03-2015
AOR Received.
18-04-2015
File Transfer...
28-04-2015
Med's Done....
13-02-2015
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
27-06-2015
saria1 said:
Settlers bringing settler effects are allowed to bring their mattresses. CBSA will not allow a mattress to be brought over if you are already settled in Canada, with all your goods.
Thank you! So this means he can bring his mattress since it is on his goods to follow list?

saria1

May 22, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 28, 2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
January 16, 2015
File Transfer...
January 23, 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
October 27, 2014
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
June 17, 2015
LANDED..........
June 30, 2015
Morganhannah said:
Yes, his leasing company gave him permission and all supporting documents to bring the truck across. Because his leasing company is only located in Michigan, and does not have a Canadian location service Ontario can't register it. Which is why the export and import wouldn't be an issue but the registering will. That's what made us go to this decision of renting a uhaul.
If you are bringing a leased vehicle over just to bring in his settlers effects, there is no need to export and import the truck.

saria1

May 22, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 28, 2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
January 16, 2015
File Transfer...
January 23, 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
October 27, 2014
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
June 17, 2015
LANDED..........
June 30, 2015
Morganhannah said:
Thank you! So this means he can bring his mattress since it is on his goods to follow list?
Yes, the mattress clause applies to Canadians living in Canada. I spoke with border officials about this, because I have a high end, latex mattress which I refuse to forfeit. They said settlers effects are exempt from the mattress rule. It's in place to keep Canadians from buying used mattresses over the border and bringing them back.

Morganhannah

Oct 7, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-03-2015
AOR Received.
18-04-2015
File Transfer...
28-04-2015
Med's Done....
13-02-2015
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
27-06-2015
saria1 said:
If you are bringing a leased vehicle over just to bring in his settlers effects, there is no need to export and import the truck.
No no we aren't bringing aren't export/importing his leased truck anymore.

WeeHippieElf

Jul 20, 2015
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2015
Doc's Request.
10-11-2015
AOR Received.
04-06-2015
File Transfer...
06-08-2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
DM 13-11-2015!!!
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 09-01-2016!!!!!
LANDED..........
saria1 said:
ah, interesting :) then pay no attention to my post ;) didn't mean to confuse anyone - i clearly only had information for my situation, and not for settlers. thank you for clearing that up!