+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

UAE Visa for RTD

Ali111

Sep 11, 2018
I have applied for Refugee claim from my country of citizenship(Yemen), I have my wife and daughter living in UAE and since my wife is a UAE national but my daughter is holding the Yemeni passport, They can not come to Canada until we get the PR card, I have travelled last year to Malaysia and saw them for 2 weeks and came back, now my situation is becoming hard and I can not afford travelling anywhere to see them.

The UAE government, does not give visa to any travel document, at least if I go to UAE I will need to book ticket for myself and live at my wife's house for 2-3 weeks (Less expenses) then come back to Canada.

Now, I know for sure, I can not travel using my country of citizenship passport (which I claimed asylum from), which will lead me to no options.

Called the UAE embassy in Toronto, did not help me much, their answer was straight forward ( We don't give visa's to travel documents holders).

So, Basically I can not go to UAE (Even if emergency happened to my family) until I get the Canadian passport or until they come here with a valid PR, which may take 1 or 2 years from now.

Any thoughts or ideas ...

Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Unfortunately nothing you can do. Have you been granted asylum? The current wait time for PR after asylum is 33 months.

Ali111

Sep 11, 2018
@canuck78 yes, I have granted asylum, I have read that but my concern, if something happened to my wife or daughter and I needed to go for a quick visit. Moreover, if i will need to meet them somewhere, I will need to spend lots of money which I cant afford.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you use your Yemeni passport you could lose your refugee status. You will have to decide whether going to the UAE is worth losing your status in Canada. Unfortunately you will have to wait like many other refugees.

Ali111

Sep 11, 2018
@canuck78 Offcourse i dont want to lose my status in Canada, And I am not going to use my passport ( I dont even have it with me it’s seized) ... but was hoping if theres any other options which I dont know about.

Ali111

Sep 11, 2018
Sponsorship for your family takes 10 _ 12 months not 33 months
I have applied PR card for them as well in my application, so once I get mine, the process will start for them in the Canadian Embassy in UAE, which will take longer time than my application.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Sponsorship for your family takes 10 _ 12 months not 33 months
You are confusing spousal sponsorship with receiving your PR after a positive refugee claim. After a positive refugee claim, it’s currently 33 months for a refugee to receive their Permenent residence. They can’t sponsor their family until they receive their PR status. So the OP’s family will need to wait 45 month approximately before they can come to Canada. That’s a long wait.

Here2help

Star Member
Apr 30, 2017
I have applied PR card for them as well in my application, so once I get mine, the process will start for them in the Canadian Embassy in UAE, which will take longer time than my application.
No its not gonna take more time then yours. As soon as you gets your PR , they will get their within 3 months.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
that's not right at all
please enter sponsoring family outside canada and you will get the answer
OPs family can be included in the PR application (as correctly pointed out by here2help....my mistake), but the processing times for a protected person in Canada to receive their PR is still 32 months after application. Still a long time to be away from family.

What are you applying for? (required)Which refugee program? (required)

Protected persons and convention refugees (in Canada)

32 months ?

View your application status

This processing time refers to applications for permanent resident status from protected persons and Convention refugees.

Reactions: canuck78

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Essentially the same thing. A refugee claimant has arrived in a country and made a claim for protection. Asylum speakers are looking for protection from a country other than their own, just haven’t made an actual claim.

Medoxtar

Star Member
Aug 20, 2018
What is the difference between an asylum seeker and a refugee claimant?
An asylum seeker is someone who is seeking international protection but whose claim for refugee status has not yet been determined.

Refugees are people fleeing armed conflicts or persecution their situation is so perilous that they cross national borders to seek safety in nearby countries and become recognised as refugees with access to assistance from states and aid organisations.

Reactions: live&love

Ali111

Sep 11, 2018
No its not gonna take more time then yours. As soon as you gets your PR , they will get their within 3 months.
Last time I called the CIC Office and asked this question, they told me it depends on the country that they are living in (which is UAE) and how busy the embassy is, it may take up to 12 months. which is still long time not seeing my family.

I guess my only option is to wait like the others, I was just hoping that there is another way to get in for a quick visit to see my family.