+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

U.S. partner visiting me in Canada. How often and for how long? What is allowed?

mugs60

Aug 26, 2016
I'm a U.S. citizen and a Can. PR living in Canada (planning to get citizenship). My partner is a U.S. citizen living in the U.S. We are both retired. He has been crossing the border to stay with me every few weeks and usually stays for up to three weeks before returning to the states. Are we courting trouble doing this? I've been reading about partners who've been banned from Canada for months for visiting too often. Should he be applying forva VISA?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'm a U.S. citizen and a Can. PR living in Canada (planning to get citizenship). My partner is a U.S. citizen living in the U.S. We are both retired. He has been crossing the border to stay with me every few weeks and usually stays for up to three weeks before returning to the states. Are we courting trouble doing this? I've been reading about partners who've been banned from Canada for months for visiting too often. Should he be applying forva VISA?
Do they have health insurance that will cover any emergencies? Do they own property in the US? Can they show funds that will support their stay in Canada? If they are staying out of Canada approximately the same amount as being in Canada and meet the other items listed they should be fine.

mugs60

Aug 26, 2016
He lives in a home I've had in the states for decades. Can show shared bills and also a bank statement with more than enough funds to support himself. We've never been flagged thus far but it's always in the back of my mind.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
He lives in a home I've had in the states for decades. Can show shared bills and also a bank statement with more than enough funds to support himself. We've never been flagged thus far but it's always in the back of my mind.
The fact that it is your home is less of a tie. The fact that he has savings is good. Would also carry proof he has travel health insurance. If he is spending around the same time inside and outside Canada it shouldn’t be an issue. He should also always state that he is visiting Canada. He could also remain in Canada for a longer period of time but would not cross the border often.

mugs60

Aug 26, 2016
Thanks for responding. I wonder if CBSA is less concerned about 65+ plus who aren't going to try take a job in Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for responding. I wonder if CBSA is less concerned about 65+ plus who aren't going to try take a job in Canada.
Many still work over 65. CBSA is always worried about people living in Canada when not entitled to. For seniors potentially getting sick while visiting Canada is likely more of a concern than younger people.