22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
tgchi13 said:
Heather, spousal applications to the US have changed a lot - had the timeline and procedure been what it is now (five months, one page) I'd like to think I'd have considered this sooner and not put my husband through the grief.
yeah... in 11 years you cant expect anything to be the same!!!!! Makes me feel like an antique when i say "11 years ago...." all of a sudden I am my grandparent talking about walking 11 miles to school in the snow, uphill both ways.

Good luck! I wish you nothing but the best!

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
Can I just add something......I came to Canada 2 1/2 years ago with my 15 year old son to live with my Canadian partner. I have a PHD in psychology, but when I arrived here, the quickest route to get a LMO and work visa was to go into retail.

So I downgraded my job, found a Company in retail that got me a LMO and 2 year work permit. Since then I have applied and got my PR.

I am now a Manager at the same retail Company I started with and funny enough very happy in my work. The pay is far less than I would get in a professional position but I manage and actually getting up in the morning and wanting to go to work is worth a lot.

The thing is....by downgrading my job....I was able to spend time in Canada with my partner, work and apply Inland for my PR.

Maybe this will give some hope that it can be done, you just have to be flexible with your outlook in life sometimes.

tgchi13

Nov 25, 2009
Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NY via Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 08
File Transfer...
05 August 08
Med's Request
April 08
Med's Done....
June 08
Interview........
12 Nov 09
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
refused Nov 09
Just what I was trying to say and failed miserably at! Thanks angelbrat.

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
June 22, 10/August 31, 10 (to NYC)
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
The problem is that we aren't yet 'legal' to work.. and that can be frustrating. We have the NAFTA but nobody wants to hire us. You can't get a work visa to work at WalMart.. if you could I would be all over it. I'm not too good for it.. but they aren't going to go through the expense to hire an American who isn't yet a PR over a Canadian. And of course, even after PR is put through, that job search won't be fun either. Don't get me wrong, sometimes it excites me to think I can try a new career path.. but sometimes it gets me down too.

I don't mind the fact that I won't have the 'level' that I should, it is just scary sometimes to think that I have 40,000 in college debt and I may not be able to pay it off. I don't want to be a burden to my husband.. who is paid well to do what he does, but doesn't make a huge amount of money either. That's what it really comes down to.

can_usa_97

May 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07/13/2010
AOR Received.
09/07/2010 in process 9/2
File Transfer...
08/12/2010
Med's Request
Rcv'd dtd 10/18
Med's Done....
06/22/2010
Interview........
Waived dtd 10/18
Passport Req..
11/04/2010
VISA ISSUED...
11/16/2010
LANDED..........
06/18/2011
tgchi13 said:
Heather, spousal applications to the US have changed a lot - had the timeline and procedure being what it is now (five months, one page) I'd like to think I'd have considered this sooner and not put my husband through the grief.

And honestly, my country's handling of this has led me to understand that the US is not as dissimilar as I would have previously thought. It's all politics and when the politics are so similar, but the procedure is easier what do I gain by being stubborn?
Our process was horrible back in 97 bringing my husband in. Like NOTHING was really computerized at the time -and it was just a nightmare, we ended up having to file 2x - several years apart when they lost our application. Thankfully he never was out of status / had to leave or lose his job ect... The process between 97 and when we filed the second time in 2003 was vastly different. The cost was more, lol, but we were able to call and check on the stauts of the application - whereas in 97-2002 we were just oh- ok, they are working on xxxx year... we have to wait, and keep renewing his green card. Ok.

I hope your process goes very smoothly.

usa2can

Jun 3, 2010
Mrsprogram----it only took 6 weeks once your file was transferred? That is fast. I received notification last week from Buffalo that our file was in que. I actually am hoping it takes until November so I can work my season in Alaska and then go back to Chicago to finish the "goods to follow" info I will need to land. Congrats!!

sogwap

Feb 18, 2010
Indiana
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sogwap said:
My new Canadian wife is quite upset by my lack of support for her. Even though I've spend well over $10K in US savings for living expenses while being here. She is a professional but doesn't understand why I can't work. Currently we are separated and I'm staying at her cottage helping fix it up. Earlier this week I emailed her about sending in the Sponsorship/PR papers in the next few weeks since I'm hope that will be when I receive the FBI report. She emailed back and said we would talk about it later this week when we see each other.

After giving up everything to be with her, and all the trouble I've had and not being able to work, I fear now that she does not want sponsor me. If that is that's the case I don't know what to think? But then again maybe I'm being overly sensitive because this PR process is taking so long and I feel subtly hindered by so many things.
Today I spoke with my wife about sponsorship.... :(

She said, she is not sure she wants to sponsor me and take the responsibility of supporting me for the next three years. (which is how she sees it.)

I know immigration has its reasons for making this tough, even just to work legally. But I am deeply saddened they make it so difficult and illegal for those of us that want to work and support our families.

plumosa

May 27, 2010
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04/03/2010
AOR Received.
17/06/2010
File Transfer...
10/05/2010
Med's Done....
30/11/2009
Interview........
waived-letter dated 27/07/2010
Passport Req..
20/09/2010
VISA ISSUED...
28/09/2010
LANDED..........
28/09/2010
sogwap said:
Today I spoke with my wife about sponsorship.... :(

She said, she is not sure she wants to sponsor me and take the responsibility of supporting me for the next three years. (which is how she sees it.)

I know immigration has its reasons for making this tough, even just to work legally. But I am deeply saddened they make it so difficult and illegal for those of us that want to work and support our families.
chances are that you will get approved and get your PR within 6 months of application. Then you are free to work and she won't be supporting you at all. The three year thing is basically if you go on public assistance anytime in the first three years she is required to pay the government back.

michaelab

May 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-06-2010
AOR Received.
3-09-2010
File Transfer...
27-07-2010 (to Detroit 15/09/10)
Med's Done....
27-05-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
15-10-2010 (arrived 01-11-2010)
LANDED..........
23-12-2010
wow things did change a lot! I was a student in the States when I married my exhusbnad. I got a temp green card on the same day tha I submitted the "changing the status" application. The hardest thing was to wait to get into the building as so many people tried to get in ( we had to sleep outside of San Jose INS office building to just get in the next day!!). When we moved, the INS there lost my application so i had to submit again but I never had any problems. I never had to submit any proof of relationship or even the bank statements! It was just several forms to turn and that was that.

Fast forward...I got my US citizenship w/in 6 months of applying..and it was in 2003 after 8 years of obtaning the green card. It was no hassle and I got it the day I went into for the citizenship test..it was like 10 questions and very easy.

After going thru immigration to the States I just cannot understand why it is so hard to immigrate to Canada..but at the same time things have changed so much over the years. Good luck for all of us!

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
I'm sorry, sogwap.. like plumosa said you can work after 6 months, but probably not in your field as we discussed earlier, at least not for awhile. It's such a tough situation.. but perhaps it is better if you find out now that she is lukewarm as opposed to later. Best of luck to you both.

yandnmirza

Jun 5, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-04-2010
Med's Done....
17-02-2010
The FBI clearance like a lot of people mentioned is the hardest part! I sent my application out already and by the time the Buffalo office receives it, it will be expired I am in the process of getting a new one :(

sogwap

Feb 18, 2010
Indiana
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sbwv09 said:
I'm sorry, sogwap.. like plumosa said you can work after 6 months, but probably not in your field as we discussed earlier, at least not for awhile. It's such a tough situation.. but perhaps it is better if you find out now that she is lukewarm as opposed to later. Best of luck to you both.
Yesterday she said all her friends tell her that I'm freeloading. That I should support her equally with a job. I don't have a work permit which limits my options.

Then she said, that I said (which I did mention to her) Canada has 60 immigration options. That I should pursue them. That I should be able to get a work permit through the NAFTA agreement. Which requires a job offer, in one of the sixty listed fields. Being a clerk in store is not one of. They are in technical field. Are there any options besides family class sponsorship that I should pursue?

Just for background when we first got together 3 years ago, my new Canadian wife (then gf) paid for everything for us to be together, as I had no extra money. I had a decent full time job, but was in serious financial debt from my previous marriage. I got out of that abusive marriage two years, clear and free, and was able to come here with just over $10K from the divorce settlement. Which I have now spend here in supporting myself.

For the past year, and at least six months before I came here, it was agreed that she was going to sponsor me for PR immigration, Family Class sponsorship. But this past week when I asked about it, she said she didn't know if she is willing to sponsor me. :'(

I told her that if she does not sponsor me I have no choice but to go back to the States. Since I would run out of visitor legal status implied or otherwise. Plus not pursuing PR status severely limits my ability to work and have health care.

plumosa

May 27, 2010
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04/03/2010
AOR Received.
17/06/2010
File Transfer...
10/05/2010
Med's Done....
30/11/2009
Interview........
waived-letter dated 27/07/2010
Passport Req..
20/09/2010
VISA ISSUED...
28/09/2010
LANDED..........
28/09/2010
sogwap said:
Yesterday she said all her friends tell her that I'm freeloading. That I should support her equally with a job. I don't have a work permit which limits my options.

Then she said, that I said (which I did mention to her) Canada has 60 immigration options. That I should pursue them. That I should be able to get a work permit through the NAFTA agreement. Which requires a job offer, in one of the sixty listed fields. Being a clerk in store is not one of. They are in technical field. Are there any options besides family class sponsorship that I should pursue?

Just for background when we first got together 3 years ago, my new Canadian wife (then gf) paid for everything for us to be together, as I had no extra money. I had a decent full time job, but was in serious financial debt from my previous marriage. I got out of that abusive marriage two years, clear and free, and was able to come here with just over $10K from the divorce settlement. Which I have now spend here in supporting myself.

For the past year, and at least six months before I came here, it was agreed that she was going to sponsor me for PR immigration, Family Class sponsorship. But this past week when I asked about it, she said she didn't know if she is willing to sponsor me. :'(

I told her that if she does not sponsor me I have no choice but to go back to the States. Since I would run out of visitor legal status implied or otherwise. Plus not pursuing PR status severely limits my ability to work and have health care.
There is no faster way to get PR than to do spousal sponsorship. its realistically only 6 months, ask her if you went back to the states would she still sponsor you? that way she isn't supporting you and you'd be on your own for a few months before getting your PR. If she's not willing to do even that, well, to be blunt...I don't have high hopes for your marriage.

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
sogwap said:

I would have to say that the 11 months from the time that we applied for status in the US and the time that they gave me a work permit were the most depressing and demoralizing time of my life. THe only way that we were able to sustain ourselves in the states was from living my husbands mother who made it a point to poison me daily against her son..(for what reason I have no idea). That time in our marriage made life difficult for years and years until we were finally able to to sit down and discuss things and realize the truth. Long distance is hard, but life together can also be harder.

I dont have any advice for you beyond expressing your love and your commitment and the fact that you will do all that you can... and if it doesnt work out you will have to be strong and count whatever blessings you have left. Loving someone who has stopped loving you, or doesnt love you back the same way is a horrible thing to go through.

If you ever need to talk....

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
sogwap said:
It's not as if she didn't know this going in, right? People need to realize that Americans, even highly educated ones, can't just waltz across when they feel like it and get a job.. and you got it right, they aren't going to sponsor you to be a store clerk! What does she expect you to do, work under the table and get arrested? It can be very frustrating, but if she is so gullible as to listen to her 'friends' and to think that you are with her to mooch off of her when you left a good job and stability in the US to be with her, you are better off.. but I'm sure that doesn't really make it hurt any less right now. :(