Waived dtd 10/18
Passport Req..
11/04/2010
VISA ISSUED...
11/16/2010
LANDED..........
06/18/2011
plumosa said:
I think we were engaged for a week? We ran off to Vermont to get married so we could start the immigration process. We're having a 'real' wedding in 23 days (all of our families will meet for the first time, ack!)

I'm most likely going to send some extra photos from the family wedding just to help things along, I'd love to avoid an interview on top of the already longer Quebec process...
we got engaged 9/11/97 and were married 10/17/97 at age 16 & 19... lol.

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
June 22, 10/August 31, 10 (to NYC)
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
Wow, people think I was young to marry (25)! My sister got married at 19 though. We were engaged about 11 months. :)

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
CeeGee said:
Yes, one thing I would suggest before you apply is when to do things. About 3-4 months request your FBI clearance, then six weeks later request your state police clearances. That way, hopefully, they will all be "active" at the same time. I applied for all of them on the same day. Oregon and California came ten days later. FBI came almost three months later. By the time I got application in, the state clearances were slightly out-of-date; we'll see what happens now about that. . . .

Good luck. Try to do it together; this application is a big burden. Use it to make you closer and not pull you apart!
I didn't think that we needed state police certificates... how long ago did you submit your application?

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
It has been almost 13 years since we met and 12 since we got married and I cant remember anything specific... even down to the day that we got engaged... sad. For dates when we met each others family I just put the month and year because I don't know.

When we married my husband had already gotten a lawyer to begin the paperwork for me to get a visa for the states and it was very overwhelming so I dont remember what paperwork or questions were asked. 2 years later I applied to remove the conditions on my conditional permanent residency and still had some of the paperwork from that so I just recycled it for this application. In 2007 I began the application to become a citizen in the US and had to submit proof of the relationship so I had some more documents through 2007. We also have tons of pictures - of our daughter...lol and not really of us.

sogwap

Feb 18, 2010
Indiana
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My wife and I had a two year long distant relationship, with lots of travel meeting each other for weekends and holidays, before getting married last year.
In Aug 2009 I gave up everything (home, job, family) and moved from Indiana to Ontario to be with my new Canadian bride. :)

In Oct 2009 we married, and then started looking at the details of immigration (PR/sponsorship). It took a month to realize that I needed FBI clearance. In Dec 2009 got medical exam and sent fingerprints to the FBI. Over three months later I received a reply that said they could not read the prints. That was a sad day, knowing I would end up waiting over six months just for the FBI report..... In April 2009 I sent a second set of prints to the FBI. It is now first of June and I'm still waiting for the FBI report....

In Jan 2010 I started actively looking for work, hoping to get a job and a work permit through the NAFTA agreement, since I have professional qualifications. I've sent out dozens of applications and so far have heard nothing. All my work experience and education is from the States. In Feb 2010 I started doing some programming/web work for a friend. A month ago they told me the project is on hold indefinitely. That was another sad day, and so far have received no compensation. :(

My new Canadian wife is quite upset by my lack of support for her. Even though I've spend well over $10K in US savings for living expenses while being here. She too is a professional but doesn't understand why I can't work. Currently we are separated and I'm staying at her cottage helping fix it up. Earlier this week I emailed her about sending in the Sponsorship/PR papers in the next few weeks since I'm hope that will be when I receive the FBI report. She emailed back and said we would talk about it later this week when we see each other.

After giving up everything to be with her, and all the trouble I've had and not being able to work, I fear now that she does not want sponsor me. If that is that's the case I don't know what to think? But then again maybe I'm being overly sensitive because this PR process is taking so long and I feel subtly hindered by so many things.

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
sogwap, I'm so sorry about your situation. In about a week I will also be giving up my home and job and everything to be with my husband. It's hard on both parties when one person can't work. I know that I already feel like I'll be 'useless' until I get a job, and my job here isn't even over yet! Happily, so far my husband is 100% understanding and supportive. The process of immigration is a strain.. and I think it might be harder on US immigrants in the sense that people just assume the transition is easier or nonexistent because our countries are so 'similar', and that's not necessarily the case. I have a Masters Degree and will probably have to do temp gigs, secretarial work, etc.. if I'm lucky. My family loves me and generally supports me but they don't understand why I would leave the career I just began.. but my husband's work pays much more there than it would here, and that's the only experience he really has.. and while I love my job and it's stable, it's not extremely lucrative, so going up there will make more sense.. but it doesn't make it easy either.

Both parties, I believe, have to continually work hard to understand that immigration is a trying process and that there will be adjustments and bumps in the road. Much much much easier said than done.

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
sbwv09 said:
I have a Masters Degree and will probably have to do temp gigs, secretarial work, etc.. if I'm lucky.
Why is it that getting a job will be so hard, with that education, if you have valid work status?

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
My field is completely saturated in Ontario.

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
sbwv09 said:
My field is completely saturated in Ontario.
Ahhh... That is scary, and disappointing. Good luck to you anyway. Let us know how the move goes.

sogwap

Feb 18, 2010
Indiana
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
heatherusa said:
Ahhh... That is scary, and disappointing. Good luck to you anyway. Let us know how the move goes.
I think it's pretty much the same for me. The IT field is saturated.
Sure there are jobs. But there are lots of applicants.

Recently I was reading an article from the local "New Canadian Centre" that helps new immigrants. They said you pretty much have to know someone to get a job. It's called "Networking". In other-words most job are rarely advertised. You pretty much have to have your foot in the door and already know someone (contacts) in order to get a job.... That's a great idea except, immigrants are new in the community. You pretty much have to be willing to start all over, in the community, with family and friends, job situation.

tgchi13

Nov 25, 2009
Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NY via Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 08
File Transfer...
05 August 08
Med's Request
April 08
Med's Done....
June 08
Interview........
12 Nov 09
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
refused Nov 09
It is scary and its exciting. Starting a new life in a new place can be anything you and your loved ones make of it. For me, moving to the US, I'm expecting similar. I'm an accountant and not only is the market saturated but my qualifications don't earn me the same position. That's okay - I'm going there to focus on my life with my spouse not my career, my career can take a back seat so that we can be together.

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
tgchi13 said:
It is scary and its exciting. Starting a new life in a new place can be anything you and your loved ones make of it. For me, moving to the US, I'm expecting similar. I'm an an accountant and, not only is the market saturated but my qualifications don't earn me the same position. That's okay - I'm going there to focus on my life with my spouse not my career my career can take a back seat so that we can be together.
So you are going to apply to the US for status there?

tgchi13

Nov 25, 2009
Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NY via Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 08
File Transfer...
05 August 08
Med's Request
April 08
Med's Done....
June 08
Interview........
12 Nov 09
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
refused Nov 09
Yes. He can't easily be here and I should easily (and far quicker!) be there... Our self-imposed filing deadline in June 10th.

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
tgchi13 said:
Yes. He can't easily be here and I should easily (and far quicker!) be there... Our self-imposed filing deadline in June 10th.
Filing deadline for US or Cdn?

I dont know what the timeline is now...but in 1999 when I married and then applied for status in the US, it took 10 months before I was able to legally work. I do remember that at that time they were unusually slow and so I was issued Travel Parole, so it could be much faster for you now.

The important part (IMO) is being together. Makes it easier to make it work.

tgchi13

Nov 25, 2009
Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NY via Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 08
File Transfer...
05 August 08
Med's Request
April 08
Med's Done....
June 08
Interview........
12 Nov 09
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
refused Nov 09
Heather, spousal applications to the US have changed a lot - had the timeline and procedure being what it is now (five months, one page) I'd like to think I'd have considered this sooner and not put my husband through the grief.

And honestly, my country's handling of this has led me to understand that the US is not as dissimilar as I would have previously thought. It's all politics and when the politics are so similar, but the procedure is easier what do I gain by being stubborn?