+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

U.S. citizen, Canadian PR, wanting to keep U.S. plates on seasonal car

bopperd

Apr 8, 2009
I am a US citizen who has permanent residence in Ontario. I also have a residence in Indiana. I have purchased a collector car in the US and plated it in Indiana. I want to bring the car into Canada for summer driving, but do not wish to import it into Canada because in a few years I will sell it and the primary market for this vehicle is American. It is 21 years old an beyond the jurisdiction of RIV. When I drive this car into Canada and declare my residence as Indiana, am I opening myself up to prosecution? My passport is US and my driver's license is Ontario.
Thanks,
Dave

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Why would you be opening yourself up to prosecution? Whether or not you residence is Canada or the United States is open to interpretation. In fact, you may be deemed a resident of both places simultaneously. You hold an Ontario drivers' license, which suggests CBSA will deem you a Canadian resident. You can declare your residence as Indiana when you enter Canada if you want, but CBSA probably will not agree and require you to import the car. How were you able to register the car in Indiana without an Indiana drivers' license? Did you give Indiana your Ontario license number?

bopperd

Apr 8, 2009
Registering a car in Indiana can be done with three pieces of identification: a passport, a social security card, and proof of residence such as a rent receipt, telephone bill, etc. I have all three. Producing an Indiana driver's license is not a requirement.
It sounds from you post, though, that the driver's license is the key document that would end the argument over car registration. Do you think CBSA would deny me and my car entry into Canada, or require me to remove the car from the country after a specified period?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

bopperd said:
Registering a car in Indiana can be done with three pieces of identification: a passport, a social security card, and proof of residence such as a rent receipt, telephone bill, etc. I have all three. Producing an Indiana driver's license is not a requirement.
It sounds from you post, though, that the driver's license is the key document that would end the argument over car registration. Do you think CBSA would deny me and my car entry into Canada, or require me to remove the car from the country after a specified period?
They would allow you to drive the car from the Port of Entry to residence, and then from the residence to the US when you leave. That would be it.

PMM

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
PMM said:
Hi

bopperd said:
They would allow you to drive the car from the Port of Entry to residence, and then from the residence to the US when you leave. That would be it.

PMM
Could one keep the US plates on the car and drive it in Canada if all relevant Canadian duties and taxes were paid?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

links18 said:
PMM said:
Hi

bopperd said:

PMM
Could one keep the US plates on the car and drive it in Canada if all relevant Canadian duties and taxes were paid?
No, it has to exported from the US and imported to Canada, and then it has to be inspected and registered in Canada. Depends on the province as to the time frame, but check www.riv.ca

PMM