+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

U.S born Children,are they Canadian Citizens??

Jul 2, 2014
i have a question not sure if anybody can answer...
i would like to know if you think or know if my 3 u.s born children are Canadian Citizens..i myself came to Canada in 87 as a landed immgrant .then was granted citizenship in 92 with my mom...
Are my children Canadian Citizens or do i have to sponser them them as P.R then their citizenship?

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
i have a question not sure if anybody can answer...
i would like to know if you think or know if my 3 u.s born children are Canadian Citizens..i myself came to Canada in 87 as a landed immgrant .then was granted citizenship in 92 with my mom...
Are my children Canadian Citizens or do i have to sponser them them as P.R then their citizenship?
Try this tool - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility/already-citizen.html

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
I would say yes. Naturalised Canadians can pass Canadian citizenship to children board abroad, through one generation. If your kids have children outside Canada those children (your grandchildren) would not be Canadians by birth.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
I would say yes. Naturalised Canadians can pass Canadian citizenship to children board abroad, through one generation. If your kids have children outside Canada those children (your grandchildren) would not be Canadians by birth.
This only applies if the children were born after she was naturalized.

If she came to Canada in 1987 and was naturalized in 1992, and gave birth in 1993 or later (or any time after she was naturalized) then the children are citizens by descent.

If the children were born before 1992 it's a different story.

Jul 2, 2014
I assumed, given "i myself came to Canada in 87 as a landed immigrant .then was granted citizenship in 92 with my mom...' that the children were born after 1992, but good point.
yes they were born in 2010 ,2012 and my last one in 2019..
Thank you.i was a bit confused beacaue according to the CiC link my children likely are Citizens.. but according to a lawyer i spoke to he said no they are not and that i have to sponser them

Jul 2, 2014
This only applies if the children were born after she was naturalized.

If she came to Canada in 1987 and was naturalized in 1992, and gave birth in 1993 or later (or any time after she was naturalized) then the children are citizens by descent.

If the children were born before 1992 it's a different story.
Yes, They were born in 2010,2012 and 2019.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
yes they were born in 2010 ,2012 and my last one in 2019..
Thank you.i was a bit confused beacaue according to the CiC link my children likely are Citizens.. but according to a lawyer i spoke to he said no they are not and that i have to sponser them
Your lawyer is wrong, if you had citizenship (naturalized and not by descent) when they were born, they are citizens.

They cannot have children outside of Canada and have them automatically become Canadian, though.