+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Typo in PA's surname; getting it fixed.

Badrick

Jan 24, 2020
Hello,

My wife and I submitted our application in December for myself to sponsor her. I received an email on Tuesday (21-Jan) that they have received our application. They gave me a UCI and application number, and said they will be in contact again when they've reviewed our documents.

That's great news. Except in the email, my wife's last name is misspelled. (She is the PA.) Also, when I check the status of our application online using my UCI, her name is also misspelled there in the same way.

Of course, I thoroughly reviewed the documents we submitted, and I cannot find the misspelling in any of them. Additionally, we submitted her passport and birth certificate as part of the application, which both have the correct spelling on them. I realize the Gov't doesn't likely make typos often. So I'm not sure what the ultimate cause of this error is. But I can't find a mistake on our end.

In any case, we would obviously like to get this fixed as soon as possible. I used the CIC web form to submit a CSE using my information (my wife does not have a UCI yet -- she has received no emails herself) explaining the situation. I attached a photocopy of her passport with her correct name for good measure. That was also on Tuesday.

CIC got back to me today and explained that they cannot act on my request because it deals with the personal information of the PA, and I am not her representative. Fair enough. They say that to process the request, we need to fill out the use of a representative form and send it in to them. This is certainly an option. However, I'm at a crossroads of options as to how to continue getting this error fixed.

The way I see it, we could...

1. Fill out the use of a representative form and submit it. The only problem with this is that we weren't necessarily planning on using myself as her representative. In fact we don't want to use myself as her representative through this whole process. She is more than capable. And we felt it would be better for her to be the one to receive the information in the future about what she needs to do as part of her application.

2. Get my wife to fill out the web form herself to make another CSE with the same information. The only problem is that she lacks a UCI because she has not received any emails at this stage. I don't know if the CSE can be attached to her file if she has no UCI yet. (The web form asks for a UCI.)

3. Wait for the next email from CIC, which will (I think) contain her UCI. If the typo is still present at this stage, then my wife can fill out a CSE using all of her information and get it fixed that way. (Or maybe the typo will have been fixed by this point, all by itself. Haha, I'm kidding, of course it won't.)

This seems like a fairly unique situation, but could anyone please weight in with some advice? I would greatly appreciate it. I may be ignoring a better option, or I may be blowing the whole thing out of proportion. I worry about delays or mismatched names causing problems later, however.

Thanks so much.

mgmann0001

Star Member
Aug 11, 2020
Hello,

My wife and I submitted our application in December for myself to sponsor her. I received an email on Tuesday (21-Jan) that they have received our application. They gave me a UCI and application number, and said they will be in contact again when they've reviewed our documents.

That's great news. Except in the email, my wife's last name is misspelled. (She is the PA.) Also, when I check the status of our application online using my UCI, her name is also misspelled there in the same way.

Of course, I thoroughly reviewed the documents we submitted, and I cannot find the misspelling in any of them. Additionally, we submitted her passport and birth certificate as part of the application, which both have the correct spelling on them. I realize the Gov't doesn't likely make typos often. So I'm not sure what the ultimate cause of this error is. But I can't find a mistake on our end.

In any case, we would obviously like to get this fixed as soon as possible. I used the CIC web form to submit a CSE using my information (my wife does not have a UCI yet -- she has received no emails herself) explaining the situation. I attached a photocopy of her passport with her correct name for good measure. That was also on Tuesday.

CIC got back to me today and explained that they cannot act on my request because it deals with the personal information of the PA, and I am not her representative. Fair enough. They say that to process the request, we need to fill out the use of a representative form and send it in to them. This is certainly an option. However, I'm at a crossroads of options as to how to continue getting this error fixed.

The way I see it, we could...

1. Fill out the use of a representative form and submit it. The only problem with this is that we weren't necessarily planning on using myself as her representative. In fact we don't want to use myself as her representative through this whole process. She is more than capable. And we felt it would be better for her to be the one to receive the information in the future about what she needs to do as part of her application.

2. Get my wife to fill out the web form herself to make another CSE with the same information. The only problem is that she lacks a UCI because she has not received any emails at this stage. I don't know if the CSE can be attached to her file if she has no UCI yet. (The web form asks for a UCI.)

3. Wait for the next email from CIC, which will (I think) contain her UCI. If the typo is still present at this stage, then my wife can fill out a CSE using all of her information and get it fixed that way. (Or maybe the typo will have been fixed by this point, all by itself. Haha, I'm kidding, of course it won't.)

This seems like a fairly unique situation, but could anyone please weight in with some advice? I would greatly appreciate it. I may be ignoring a better option, or I may be blowing the whole thing out of proportion. I worry about delays or mismatched names causing problems later, however.

Thanks so much.
Hi can u please share whether ur issue was solved by ircc on time? I am in similar situation right now so found ur thread about it