+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Types of Refugees

Dingling

Oct 23, 2017
First of all thanks all senior members those who give time to help people finding their answers ..

question 1: in asylum cases its the same thing , conventional refugee ? refugee? protected person ? ( i mean these terms are used for same thing) or is there any difference ? ... i mean are there any kinds of refugees or all are same and have same status in country ??

question 2: time line for getting decision either you are accepted as refugee or not?
question 3: time line for getting PR after asylum case approval ??
question 4: time line for getting Canadian Passport after PR?

R

rish888

Q1: A refugee is a refugee. Period. As to the terms you refer to, A "Protected Person" is a term used by the Canadian government to refer to someone who is either:

1: A recognized convention refugee. or

2: A person who receives a positive PRRA. (Something that says their home country is too unsafe to send them back)

Q2: Legally, 60 days. In reality though given the current influx of refugees from the US processing time I have read can rage anywhere from a year to even two years. 12-18 months seems to be a decent ballpark though.

Q3: Can take over a year. Some have even waited a few years.

Q4: You need 3 years of living in Canada after getting Permanent Residence. Budget another 6 months- 1 year to get your application approved and your passport in hand.

Do note that everything here is just ballparks. It could take time, or it could take much more time too.