+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Types of LMIO, explanation

runaway982

Star Member
Dec 17, 2014
Can anyone answer me two questions?

First: Are there two types of LMIO (because something like that I have read through the posts) and if you can tell me what the difference between them.

Second: Whether if a company has already received LMIO for an foreign employee who came from another country, and had spent the process should still get LMIO other foreign employees, and whether in that case would be faster and easier to get LMIO.

Тhank you in advance :)

mazamilam

Jan 26, 2015
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11/05/2015
Doc's Request.
23/07/2015
AOR Received.
11/05/2015
IELTS Request
Done 8.5
Med's Request
Upfront Medicals
Med's Done....
06-04-2015
Passport Req..
24/07/2015
VISA ISSUED...
04/08/2015
LANDED..........
23-08-2012
First: NO IDEA!

Second: Every employee even if in the same company has to get a different LMIA even if it for the same job. It is not important that if a company got a positive LMIA before, it will get one again. It all depends on the paperwork the company submits. As for processing time, again it depends on a case to case basis.

AshesNdust

Jan 4, 2015
runaway982 said:
Can anyone answer me two questions?

First: Are there two types of LMIO (because something like that I have read through the posts) and if you can tell me what the difference between them.

Second: Whether if a company has already received LMIO for an foreign employee who came from another country, and had spent the process should still get LMIO other foreign employees, and whether in that case would be faster and easier to get LMIO.

Тhank you in advance :)
From what I understand there are two different types of LMIA, High-Wage and Low-Wage. The differences are that the High-Wage requires a more extensive application and explanation from the employer and, if it qualifies, it can be fast tracked to be processed in 10 days. The Low-Wage one requuires limits on the number of low-wage positions at the employer's company, a short time period for the job, and something like a dozen low-eage jobs no long qualify for the LMIA.
Each LMIA applicant is different so having one for someone else doesn't really help with getting a positive outcome for another person. What it will help with is that if the company has already done it, they will know exactly what paperwork needs to filed and how. So, the process should go more smoothing since they have that experience. Nothing more though.

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is also one LMIA that is only for 600 points for PR purposes, it doesn't come with a work permit. that one is free for the employer to apply for.
then there is the one that costs $1000 to apply for. the positive LMIA will allow the holder to apply for a work permit. Also gives 600 points for EE.

sms_1190

Feb 6, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
purplesnow said:
There is also one LMIA that is only for 600 points for PR purposes, it doesn't come with a work permit. that one is free for the employer to apply for.
then there is the one that costs $1000 to apply for. the positive LMIA will allow the holder to apply for a work permit. Also gives 600 points for EE.
How can we get the first LMIA. Can you provide link?

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
exact same application process, just a different form.
http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/cgi-bin/search/eforms/index.cgi?app=prfl&frm=emp5593&ln=eng

evanstp9

Nov 27, 2012
Firstly, there is high skilled (NOC O,A,B) and low skilled (C,D) distinction in LMIA, based on your NOC code.

After that, the high wage and low wage kicks in, in either category.

If you are high wage worker (meaning the prevailing wage for your NOC code is above the prevailing wage that your province has), then your employer has to also file the transition plan.

If you are low wage worker (meaning the prevailing wage for your NOC code is below the prevailing wage that your province has), then your employer is subject to the cap for low wage workers, has to calculate that (there are forms for that).

Hope it is clear enough!

sms_1190

Feb 6, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
purplesnow said:
exact same application process, just a different form.
servicecanada.gc.ca/cgi-bin/search/eforms/index.cgi?app=prfl&frm=emp5593&ln=eng
Does it mean, that person working on PGWP, can get this LMIA?

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sms_1190 said:
Does it mean, that person working on PGWP, can get this LMIA?
there's no restrictions as to who can apply for it, so far as I know. Your employer still needs to go through the process of advertising the position and proving they can't get a Canadian though. This one will give you 600 points for your EE if its positive, but you cannot use it to get a work permit, so if you have enough time left on your visa to get through the LMIA application process, then I don't see why not.

AshesNdust

Jan 4, 2015
evanstp9 said:
Firstly, there is high skilled (NOC O,A,B) and low skilled (C,D) distinction in LMIA, based on your NOC code.

After that, the high wage and low wage kicks in, in either category.

If you are high wage worker (meaning the prevailing wage for your NOC code is above the prevailing wage that your province has), then your employer has to also file the transition plan.

If you are low wage worker (meaning the prevailing wage for your NOC code is below the prevailing wage that your province has), then your employer is subject to the cap for low wage workers, has to calculate that (there are forms for that).

Hope it is clear enough!
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize there was a different LMIA based on NOC, just knew about the low and high.

evanstp9

Nov 27, 2012
runaway982 said:
According to this, can you tell me is 60000$ per year high wage or low wage?
Read again my post!

I said that it depends on your NOC code, I have no idea about your salary, without knowing occupation.

Go to jobbank, locate your NOC code, in your region, and you will see if it is high or low

http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/wage-outlook_search-eng.do;jsessionid=536DF4A6A59E0B46CE2915CA96A7718D.imnav2?reportOption=wage