+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Type B dependent child

Denise13

Star Member
Feb 25, 2014
Toronto ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My eldest daughter, aged 20 has graduated 4 year course in college but since the immigration office requires that a dependent child should be of continuous education, she went schooling again and is taking up 8 units, 2 subjects only because she has credited some minor subjects on her previous course. Is that ok? Can she be considered full time student? Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your daughter is not a type B dependent, she is a type A, see http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/form-imm0008-type-a-dependant-type-b-dependent-type-c-dependent-t134900.0.html or here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5289ETOC.asp

Denise13

Star Member
Feb 25, 2014
Toronto ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
depend substantially on the financial support of a parent and have been continuously enrolled and in attendance as full-time students in a post-secondary institution accredited by the relevant government authority since before the age of 22 (or since marrying or entering into a common-law relationship, if this happened before the age of 22), or
That is exactly her condition right now. She studied again and is now first yr college student again and she depends on me for financial support

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If she is not married or in a common-law partnership, she could be claimed as a Type A dependent and her age would be locked in as she was under 22 when you applied and she would not have to remain a full time student.

However, if you insist on claiming her as a Type B dependent, she would have to remain a full time student until she lands as a PR. I do not know how much 8 units are but if it's not full time studies, it would not qualify. Immigration may also look into and disqualify B-Type dependents who actually should have completed their studies but are obviously enrolling in different courses in order to keep their dependent child status.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Denise, why would you like to make things more complicated?
if your daughter is 20 and single then
TYPE A

The child is under the age of 22 and is single (not married and not in a common-law relationship).
IF she is 22 OR married then
TYPE B
The child has been continuously enrolled in and in attendance as a full‑time student at a post‑secondary institution accredited by the relevant government authority and has depended substantially on the financial support of a parent either:

since before the age of 22, or
since marrying or entering into a common-law relationship (if it happened before the age of 22).

Denise13

Star Member
Feb 25, 2014
Toronto ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You mean if she already graduated and 20 y/o, still single, she's under type a? She's no longer required to continue studying? I am confused between type a and type b thats why i told her to study again to qualify for type b dependent child

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You mean if she already graduated and 20 y/o, still single, she's under type a? She's no longer required to continue studying?
yes, she is. Otherwise who you think is under A? request to study to be considered a dependent applies only to married (at 18 for ex) or 22+.

Denise13

Star Member
Feb 25, 2014
Toronto ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ahh. I see. Thanks a lot Regina. So you mean even if she depends on me for financial support, she's still considered under Type A?

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In order to meet R2(b)(i) of the definition of “dependent child”, a child must be under 22 years of
age and not a spouse or common - law partner on the date when the application is received by CPC - M, and not a spouse or common - law partner when the visa is issued, and when they arrive in Canada
;)