+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Type 1 Diabetes - Can this be an issue for Canadian Immigration

pisces123

Star Member
May 7, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Does anyone know if Type 1 diabetes can be a problem for Candian immigration? I have done my medicals and have just got an email from buffalo stating that my case has been medically furthered....

nano24482

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28/02/2010
Doc's Request.
20/04/2010
AOR Received.
27/08/2010
File Transfer...
27/04/2010
No it won't be a problem.

yukon

Apr 6, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pisces123 said:
Does anyone know if Type 1 diabetes can be a problem for Candian immigration? I have done my medicals and have just got an email from buffalo stating that my case has been medically furthered....
If the Diabetes has effected your Organs that can lead to chronic failure, they may be concerned for you as a medical liability in the future. Although people in the past have migrated to Canada with Type-I Diabetes.

Only concern is if you have not developed any other complication due to your Diabetes.

(INDIAN)

Champion Member
May 16, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pisces123 said:
Dear,
It is not a big problem .In canada there are 40% peoples having diabetes.
Indian

theshivster

Oct 7, 2010
Ireland
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-04-2011
AOR Received.
17-05-2011
IELTS Request
sent with app 8.5 band score
File Transfer...
RBVO 21 June 2011 IN PROCESS 20 Jan 2012
Med's Request
Med's Done....
02.10.2012 (there is only one DMP here and we were waiting on new passports) Meds line added 19.11.12
Passport Req..
07.02.2013 sent 11.2.13 arrived 12.2.13
VISA ISSUED...
Visa Dated 28.02.2013 Canadian Address on Ecas 02.03.2013 Decision Made Sunday 03.03.2013
LANDED..........
Prinicipal Applicant Landed 14 May. The rest of us landed on 2.9.2013
the principal applicant for us is a type 1 diabetic and this was a worry for us. However we were advised that as long as you maintain regular checkups and your diabetes is stable, there shouldn't be a problem.
Good Luck x

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
(INDIAN) said:
Dear,
It is not a big problem .In canada there are 40% peoples having diabetes.
Indian
I assume you're joking? That statistic is completely incorrect.

GeetaLSharma

Star Member
May 8, 2017
the principal applicant for us is a type 1 diabetic and this was a worry for us. However we were advised that as long as you maintain regular checkups and your diabetes is stable, there shouldn't be a problem.
Good Luck x
hivster, post: 1415499, member: 68515"]the principal applicant for us is a type 1 diabetic and this was a worry for us. However we were advised that as long as you maintain regular checkups and your diabetes is stable, there shouldn't be a problem.
Good Luck x[/QUOTE]
my son is diabetic type 1. how fair are the chances of receiving PR. He is 7 years old.

Mar 12, 2010
You need to see this below:
Excessive demand decisions

Immigration applicants must be admissible to Canada on health grounds. Excessive demand on health or social services is 1 of 3 health grounds. An officer will refuse your application, based on the results of your immigration medical examination, if they reasonably believe that your health condition might cause an excessive demand on health or social services. An excessive demand on health or social services

can mean 2 things. It can mean that the need for health services to treat your health condition would negatively affect medical service wait times in Canada. It can also mean that the services to treat and manage your health condition would likely cost more than 3 times the Canadian average for health and social services (per person).

Calculation of the Excessive Demand Cost Threshold

This report describes how Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) calculates the

excessive demand cost threshold and uses the cost threshold to make excessive demand decisions.

• In 2017, the excessive demand cost threshold was $33,275 over 5 years (or $6,655 per year).

• In April of 2018, the Government of Canada made changes to the excessivedemand policy and to the cost threshold.

• For 2018, the new cost threshold is $99,060 over 5 years (or $19,812 per year).This report explains how IRCC changed the cost hreshold and how we use the cost threshold tomake a decision about your application

How IRCC uses the cost threshold to determine an applicant’s admissibility

This section describes how the department uses the cost threshold to make a decision on your application. This is a process that involves the following 3 main steps:

1. You will be asked to get an immigration medical examination.

2. The medical officer will review the results of your medical examination and provide an assessment to the officer who is processing your application. If you have a medical condition, the medical officer will calculate the cost of health and social services needed to treat and manage your condition and will compare those costs to the cost threshold.

3. The officer who is processing your application will consider the information provided by the medical officer and decide if your health condition might cause an excessive demand on health or social

services. The officer will consider if the costs to treat and manage your condition are more than the cost

threshold. The officer will find you inadmissible on health grounds(excessive demand) if your costs are morethan the cost threshold.

foodie69

VIP Member
Dec 18, 2015
You need to see this below:
Excessive demand decisions

Immigration applicants must be admissible to Canada on health grounds. Excessive demand on health or social services is 1 of 3 health grounds. An officer will refuse your application, based on the results of your immigration medical examination, if they reasonably believe that your health condition might cause an excessive demand on health or social services. An excessive demand on health or social services

can mean 2 things. It can mean that the need for health services to treat your health condition would negatively affect medical service wait times in Canada. It can also mean that the services to treat and manage your health condition would likely cost more than 3 times the Canadian average for health and social services (per person).

Calculation of the Excessive Demand Cost Threshold

This report describes how Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) calculates the

excessive demand cost threshold and uses the cost threshold to make excessive demand decisions.

• In 2017, the excessive demand cost threshold was $33,275 over 5 years (or $6,655 per year).

• In April of 2018, the Government of Canada made changes to the excessivedemand policy and to the cost threshold.

• For 2018, the new cost threshold is $99,060 over 5 years (or $19,812 per year).This report explains how IRCC changed the cost hreshold and how we use the cost threshold tomake a decision about your application

How IRCC uses the cost threshold to determine an applicant’s admissibility

This section describes how the department uses the cost threshold to make a decision on your application. This is a process that involves the following 3 main steps:

1. You will be asked to get an immigration medical examination.

2. The medical officer will review the results of your medical examination and provide an assessment to the officer who is processing your application. If you have a medical condition, the medical officer will calculate the cost of health and social services needed to treat and manage your condition and will compare those costs to the cost threshold.

3. The officer who is processing your application will consider the information provided by the medical officer and decide if your health condition might cause an excessive demand on health or social

services. The officer will consider if the costs to treat and manage your condition are more than the cost

threshold. The officer will find you inadmissible on health grounds(excessive demand) if your costs are morethan the cost threshold.
Your anwer is directed to a 8 year old tread..s/he probably figured that one out some years ago.

Louiel

May 2, 2019
My husband is 55 years old and Type 1 Diabetes and he had kidney transplant in 2004. He has regular check ups with his Kidney Doctor and Diabetes Doctor. Everything is doing good with his kidney and diabetes and he is currently employed. Would there be any hindrances if I will sponsor him to Canada? I am a Canadian citizen and living together with my husband here in United States but we are planning to move to Canada.
Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
My husband is 55 years old and Type 1 Diabetes and he had kidney transplant in 2004. He has regular check ups with his Kidney Doctor and Diabetes Doctor. Everything is doing good with his kidney and diabetes and he is currently employed. Would there be any hindrances if I will sponsor him to Canada? I am a Canadian citizen and living together with my husband here in United States but we are planning to move to Canada.
Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you.
As a Canadian citizen your spouse is exempt from the Excessive Demand eligibility determination.

There will be no medical inadmissibility - well, they will still check for "Danger to Public Health and/or Safety", but he doesn't have a highly contagious disease so there won't be an issue.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Insulin has become very expensive though so you do have to think about the cost of medication and diabetic supplies which are often not covered. You should look at the costs that you will incur especially if moving without employment. You are lucky because he doesn’t have to go through medical inadmissibility because he may have had difficulty passing.