+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

two questions on sponsoring American wife

silky28

Star Member
Sep 11, 2013
Hey all,

got 2 quick questions for you wizards...

1) on supporting documents for the sponsor

I am sponsoring my American wife. I have not been married previously and do not have a co-signer and am obviously not in a common-law relationship and have no adopted children. Based on form IMM-5491 I only need to supply supporting documents for boxes 13, 17 and 18, am I correct on that? If so, a scan of my passport, a letter from my employer, and my tax assessment is all I need? doesn't seem like a lot!

according to box 14 I do not have to supply a marriage certificate because my wife is not co-signing. Am I correct?

2) question about the letter of employment

So I am not employed in the traditional sense. I am a PhD student who receives a substantial scholarship and am employed as a teaching assistant. I asked my department for a letter of employment and they sent me the offer of admission to the PhD program that states the total value of my scholarship + teaching assistantship. Would that suffice?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1) Marriage certificate is mandatory as relationship proof. You also need to supply other relationship proof (photos, communications, other evidence from your marriage, joint bills, any joint property, etc.) - the marriage certificate won't suffice.
2) Yes - that will be fine.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
silky28 said:
1) on supporting documents for the sponsor

Based on form IMM-5491 I only need to supply supporting documents for boxes 13, 17 and 18, am I correct on that? If so, a scan of my passport, a letter from my employer, and my tax assessment is all I need? doesn't seem like a lot!

according to box 14 I do not have to supply a marriage certificate because my wife is not co-signing. Am I correct?

2) question about the letter of employment

So I am not employed in the traditional sense. I am a PhD student who receives a substantial scholarship and am employed as a teaching assistant. I asked my department for a letter of employment and they sent me the offer of admission to the PhD program that states the total value of my scholarship + teaching assistantship. Would that suffice?
Hi

1. You don't need to include a copy of the marriage certificate with the sponsor forms/documents but as scylla said, you still need a copy for relationship proof, as per the applicant checklist.

silky28

Star Member
Sep 11, 2013
So just to clarify...

I do not need it for #14 on the sponsor checklist but I do need for "proof of relationship" which is #25 on the Sponsored Person's checklist? If so that is what I thought.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
silky28 said:
So just to clarify...

I do not need it for #14 on the sponsor checklist but I do need for "proof of relationship" which is #25 on the Sponsored Person's checklist? If so that is what I thought.
you only need to submit 1 copy. if it's on both checklists, then you need to check both as included. your marriage certificate will confirm your eligibility as a spouse.

andydandy

Aug 4, 2015
your tax assessment needs to be the option c printout that you can order from CRA. it's not just the one page tax assessment letter that CRA sends you each year after you file your taxes.

andydandy

Aug 4, 2015
silky28 said:
I downloaded the Tax Assessment from my "My Account" page on the CRA website.
I'm not sure if that is the same thing. Maybe someone else can comment? There is a statement that says one of the most common causes of delay is that the option c printout of the tax assessment is not provided. I got mine mailed to me by calling the CRA and speaking to an agent.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
silky28 said:
I downloaded the Tax Assessment from my "My Account" page on the CRA website.
That's fine.

andydandy said:
I'm not sure if that is the same thing. Maybe someone else can comment? There is a statement that says one of the most common causes of delay is that the option c printout of the tax assessment is not provided. I got mine mailed to me by calling the CRA and speaking to an agent.
CIC stopped requiring an Option C awhile ago. As stated on the checklist, they require an NOA printed from the CRA "My Account".