+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Two pieses of personal ID (citizenship application)

MirMS

Mar 10, 2016
North York
Hello everyone!

I've recently moved to Toronto from BC. I've already changed my driver license. However, my health card will be changed in May. So, I'm still having a BC service card (health card).
Next week I'm going to apply for a citizenship. And now I have the driver license from Ontario and Health card from BC.

Are they going to return my application because of that or I have to write an explanation letter to them?
if I have to write the letter how to do so.

Thank you

EXPRESS000

Aug 25, 2016
I had a similar issue from Quebec to Toronto.
i applied from toronto using quebec health card and it went fine
the officers understand that people are on the move.
Good Luck

Reactions: qorax

MirMS

Mar 10, 2016
North York
EXPRESS000 said:
I had a similar issue from Quebec to Toronto.
i applied from toronto using quebec health card and it went fine
the officers understand that people are on the move.
Good Luck
Thank you for the answer. As I understand I do not need any letter, right?

EXPRESS000

Aug 25, 2016
from my personal experience,i wasnt asked anything further,i just explained to the officer that i have recently moved.
i believe your t4 slips/work history/education history will speak louder then a letter.
if you have worked/studied earlier in BC and you have those papers with you ,you should be fine.
on the other hand,its always better to be over prepared,if you have the luxury of time,there is absolutely no harm in getting a letter or whatsoever.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
MirMS said:
Hello everyone!

I've recently moved to Toronto from BC. I've already changed my driver license. However, my health card will be changed in May. So, I'm still having a BC service card (health card).
Next week I'm going to apply for a citizenship. And now I have the driver license from Ontario and Health card from BC.

Are they going to return my application because of that or I have to write an explanation letter to them?
if I have to write the letter how to do so.

Thank you
Notwithstanding the experience reported by EXPRESS000, waiting another six to ten weeks to apply could be the better approach. This is particularly true if you do not otherwise already have a good margin over the minimum physical presence requirements when applying as of next week. A margin of two or more months is a good idea no matter how certain the applicant is about the accuracy and completeness of their physical presence calculation.

Will a small incongruity in some aspect of the application cause one officer to have concerns another officer did not have in a similar case? That is hard to guess. There is some risk. Sure, overall it should not cause much concern let alone a problem, but waiting a few extra weeks to apply should be sure to not cause any problems while at the same time it may help to avoid concerns or questions.

Sometimes waiting to apply can result in getting to the oath sooner. And this is not just about timing, but for many it is about the amount of anxiety they will incur while the application is in process.

MirMS

Mar 10, 2016
North York
Thank you...
I also phoned them to make sure that I'm gonna be fine with my documents.
So, they said it doesn't matter that my ID from different provinces the only matter that my ID valid and they are mine. And they said if I want to explain that I've recently moved I can write the letter but an officer will see it anyway from places where I lived and worked.

In my perspective of view, the process of getting a citizenship must be more easier and more automatic.

frange

May 25, 2018
Thank you...
I also phoned them to make sure that I'm gonna be fine with my documents.
So, they said it doesn't matter that my ID from different provinces the only matter that my ID valid and they are mine. And they said if I want to explain that I've recently moved I can write the letter but an officer will see it anyway from places where I lived and worked.

In my perspective of view, the process of getting a citizenship must be more easier and more automatic.
Hi;
How was it at the end? Did you have any problem with using ID from different provinces..... Thank you,

umadaan

Oct 18, 2021
I uploaded a copy of my Driver's license in my citizenship application. However, the address on it was a temporary address (a relative's address) where I stayed for a week or so. I have applied for my license with my current permanent address on it but that is taking longer. Will it be a problem if my license does not have my current address or any of my previous addresses on it? Because we are not supposed to mention any temporary addresses in residentail history. Need help here please! Thanks a lot.