+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Two or more study Visas in British Columbia with a work permit between - possib?

emandwillow

Mar 15, 2016
Hello,

We are Emma and James and are planning for James to do an electrician apprentice course in Vancouver, starting with a foundation. He already has a great deal of experience from England (where we are from) but fell unwell when completing his previous apprenticeship a few years back. He has spent a year in Vancouver on a holiday visa and we are desperate to go there again. And hopefully one day stay. A student visa is the only way we can return.

We need help! I am searching online if this is possible:

1. Enrol on a foundation electrical course which is 6 months
2. Stay in canada for the same 6 months after on a work visa which follows the study visa, to save for the next levels as they are so expensive :'(
3. Apply for another student visa and pay for this so James can do the next level up. Becoming more and more qualified.

I hope this makes sense? Basically. We want to do the foundation and then stay on a work visa to save up the next lot of international student fees for the next bit.

Basically - can you have multiple study visas for Canada and use the work visa bit after time after time after each course?

Thank you for all advice. Been looking for the answer online and am struggling to find my answer.

Love Emma and James x

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Overall your plan won't work. To begin with, no work permit will be issued if the course is only six months in duration. For a work permit to be issued, the course must be a minimum of 8 months of full time study.

Additionally, a PGWP (the work permit issued after you complete your studies) can only be issued to a person once. This means that once you've held a PGWP one time, you never qualify for another one again - even if you complete additional studies in Canada.

You also need to be very careful if he plans on using the work permit to engaged in an apprenticeship in Canada. Many apprenticeship are only open to Canadian citizens or permanent residents.

emandwillow

Mar 15, 2016
scylla said:
Overall your plan won't work. To begin with, no work permit will be issued if the course is only six months in duration. For a work permit to be issued, the course must be a minimum of 8 months of full time study.

Additionally, a PGWP (the work permit issued after you complete your studies) can only be issued to a person once. This means that once you've held a PGWP one time, you never qualify for another one again - even if you complete additional studies in Canada.

You also need to be very careful if he plans on using the work permit to engaged in an apprenticeship in Canada. Many apprenticeship are only open to Canadian citizens or permanent residents.
Thank you for getting back to me, this isn't good news. We have paid a company to help us get there on a student visa for James. The only thing they've sent us is links to websites which I have found myself. The only courses really are foundations which are 6 months. and I have also found the issue that colleges don't accept international apprentices.

Do you have any other ideas of how we can achieve this. Can we apply for a permanent residency whilst James is on the foundation course if he finds a job offer? I am going out of my mind trying to find a way. I'm sorry that I don't know anything. I just need help.

Thank you,
Emma