+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

two or more post-secondary program credentials with program less than 1 year

kgsacorn

Aug 5, 2016
Hi.

I have all the requirements set for FSWP express entry and am seeking ways to improve my CRS rating, which stands at around low 400s.

I've graduated from a 4 year bachelor program which gives me a base of 120 (no spouse) points for the education criteria. However, I saw that if I have two or more credentials I'd get 128 points, along with some other points in the skill transferability section.

The guideline specifies this:

'Two or more post-secondary program credentials AND at least one of these credentials was issued on completion of a post-secondary program of three years or longer'

So the latter part, program of three years or longer, I already satisfy with my bachelor's. As for the other post-secondary program credential, is there a limit to the length of the program, as long as it is from a certified post-secondary educational institution?

I have 1+ year of job experience and 9+ in CLB test scores, which currently gives me 25 + 13 = 38 points from section C. If I can get my education up higher, those points would increase to 50 + 25 = 75, a whopping 37 points increase.

There are various programs less than a year long that I could pursue, (ex: nursing certificates; I'm a full time nurse) but I'm wondering if they can be used to improve my scores.

Thanks in advance!

OMG_Chakromakro

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
this link will help you understand what two or more post -secondary program................ really is . " http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/eca-conversion.asp "

istari

Champion Member
Jul 5, 2016
Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kgsacorn said:
Hi.

I have all the requirements set for FSWP express entry and am seeking ways to improve my CRS rating, which stands at around low 400s.

I've graduated from a 4 year bachelor program which gives me a base of 120 (no spouse) points for the education criteria. However, I saw that if I have two or more credentials I'd get 128 points, along with some other points in the skill transferability section.

The guideline specifies this:

'Two or more post-secondary program credentials AND at least one of these credentials was issued on completion of a post-secondary program of three years or longer'

So the latter part, program of three years or longer, I already satisfy with my bachelor's. As for the other post-secondary program credential, is there a limit to the length of the program, as long as it is from a certified post-secondary educational institution?

I have 1+ year of job experience and 9+ in CLB test scores, which currently gives me 25 + 13 = 38 points from section C. If I can get my education up higher, those points would increase to 50 + 25 = 75, a whopping 37 points increase.

There are various programs less than a year long that I could pursue, (ex: nursing certificates; I'm a full time nurse) but I'm wondering if they can be used to improve my scores.

Thanks in advance!
This seems to be a bit of a grey area. CIC used to specify that your second credential had to be at least 1 year. That exact wording has now been removed, but it seems to still be implied.

qaawill

Jul 20, 2016
I'm in a pretty similar position. The challenges comes with the ECA of your second post-secondary qualification. In many countries it can clearly be a post-secondary programme - but it might not be assessed by the Canadian Authorities as such.

I've looked at doing a college programme (3-6 months) to gain the extra points in Education and Skill Transferability but there's no guarantee or advice from CIC on what types of qualifications do transfer across, therefore I'd definitely ensure it is a year or longer as to not waste your time with no positive outcome.

With your 4 year bachelors programme, as per the link above this will still be considered as a Bachelors programme by CIC therefore only 120 points are available for this.

As a heads up, I went through IQAS for my ECA for Bachelors, and then again for what turned out to be my Secondary qualifications. I paid the full applicaiton fee twice (2x $275) but IQAS shouldn't allow this to happen. IQAS staff informed me a second ECA can be done for a fee of just $75 + any associated postage so refunded my intial fee...so don't let them catch you out.