+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Two or more certificates, Diplomas or Degrees ( need clarity)

harrycanada

Jul 9, 2018
Hi all,

Greetings !

Please help me to understand :
1) If the option of selecting Two or more certificates, Diplomas or Degrees ... has been removed / does not exist anymore ? as I as was unable to view that option post signing into the GCkey !

2) if not please see below narration from my WES report and kindly advice if I am eligible to select " two or more certificates.." option which will help me to boost my score. Below education is after 10+2.

A) Credential 1: Diploma in Hotel Management and Catering Technology ( 3 years )
Major/Specialization: Hotel Management and Catering Technology
Canadian Equivalency: Diploma (three years)

B) Credential 2: Bachelor of Science (3 years but first 2 years exempted due to diploma with same major.)
Major/Specialization: Hotel and Tourism Management
Canadian Equivalency: Bachelor's degree (three years)

My education in a nut shell : 10 + 2 + 3 (diploma) + 1(degree where 1st 2 years exempted but Canadian equivalency as per ECA is bachelor's Degree 3 years)

Your honest opinions will help me a lot ! Thanks in advance !

keebs

Jan 31, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Port of Spain
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
05-02-2018
AOR Received.
06/03/2017
Passport Req..
03/07/2018
VISA ISSUED...
11/07/2018
LANDED..........
02-10-2018
Hi all,

Greetings !

1) If the option of selecting Two or more certificates, Diplomas or Degrees ... has been removed / does not exist anymore ? as I as was unable to view that option post signing into the GCkey !

2) if not please see below narration from my WES report and kindly advice if I am eligible to select " two or more certificates.." option which will help me to boost my score. Below education is after 10+2.

A) Credential 1: Diploma in Hotel Management and Catering Technology ( 3 years )

B) Credential 2: Bachelor of Science (3 years but first 2 years exempted due to diploma with same major.)

My education in a nut shell : 10 + 2 + 3 (diploma) + 1(degree where 1st 2 years exempted but Canadian equivalency as per ECA is bachelor's Degree 3 years)

CIC is not lookinf at if you were exempted. They’re looking at what your degree was assessed. I think you would get the two or more degrees. When completing your EE profile you would know if it’s accepted as that.

Reactions: harrycanada

mr.preetsingh

VIP Member
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-04-2018
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
14-04-2018
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07-04-2018
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
19-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2018
LANDED..........
06-09-2018
Hi all,

Greetings !

What is the overall equivalency given by WES. it would be mentioned on top of the WES report.

keebs

Jan 31, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Port of Spain
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
05-02-2018
AOR Received.
06/03/2017
Passport Req..
03/07/2018
VISA ISSUED...
11/07/2018
LANDED..........
02-10-2018
Hi all,

Greetings !

To answer question one, you enter your bachelors degree first. Then you enter your diploma. The option allows you to enter more that one diploma or degree

harrycanada

Jul 9, 2018
Noted sir,
Thanks for your guidance . I will fill the EE form and get back to you for any further help needed.

CIC is not lookinf at if you were exempted. They’re looking at what your degree was assessed. I think you would get the two or more degrees. When completing your EE profile you would know if it’s accepted as that.
sir

keebs

Jan 31, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Port of Spain
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
05-02-2018
AOR Received.
06/03/2017
Passport Req..
03/07/2018
VISA ISSUED...
11/07/2018
LANDED..........
02-10-2018
Noted sir,
Thanks for your guidance . I will fill the EE form and get back to you for any further help needed.

sir
Sure not a problem. Btw I’m a woman and not a man (use of sir)

harrycanada

Jul 9, 2018
Sure not a problem. Btw I’m a woman and not a man (use of sir)
Dear Ma’am ,

Kindly accept my sincere apologies. Just realised after checking your profile.

Ian there a way you can please guide me more on the WES summary of my ECA which says :

Diploma (three years) and bachelors degree (three years)

Regards

ishq74

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2017
Dear Ma’am ,

Kindly accept my sincere apologies. Just realised after checking your profile.

Ian there a way you can please guide me more on the WES summary of my ECA which says :

Diploma (three years) and bachelors degree (three years)

Regards
You will receive points for "Two or more certificates, diplomas or degrees, one must be a program of 3 or more years". Both of your credentials must be from "Recognized Institution". Please check your report.

To understand the whole "two or more degree' equivalency please refer to this post by @Maverick28
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/two-or-more-certificates-degrees-or-diploma-lets-get-it-sorted.560332/#post-6996995

To check your credential's Level of Education, please go to this site-
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/education-assessed/read-report.html

Now for your specific query I am going to demonstrate how enter your credential correctly in EE profile-

Here I am showing you how to enter detail for your diploma, you should follow same for your bachelors degree. In EE they have put 3 or more years diploma and Bachelors degree together, so your level of education for your diploma will be "Bachelors degree OR 3 or more years program". After you enter both credentials and submit the profile, system will count your points automatically and award you points for "two or more degree'.

You will have following questions to answer in your EE profile to add your Diploma-

Name of the credential: should be "Diploma in Hotel Management and Catering Technology"
Institute name: should be awarding university name (not the college name, check ECA report)
Start Date: diploma start date
is it your current study? answer NO
End Date: diploma end date(usually last day of exam)
Completed Academic years: 3 years
Level of education: Bachelors OR 3 or more years program...
Have you completed Canadian degree during this time? answer NO
have you got ECA? answer YES
which organization: WES
reference number: WES ref no (it ends with 'IMM')
ECA report Date: Eca completion date (check report)
Level of Education as per the ECA: Bachelors OR three or more years program

Click Save and Add, it will show at the bottom of the page, you can add your bachelors after.

Hope it helps. Good Luck!

Last edited:

harrycanada

Jul 9, 2018
You will receive points for "Two or more certificates, diplomas or degrees, one must be a program of 3 or more years". Both of your credentials must be from "Recognized Institution". Please check your report.

To understand the whole "two or more degree' equivalency please refer to this post by @Maverick28
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/two-or-more-certificates-degrees-or-diploma-lets-get-it-sorted.560332/#post-6996995

To check your credential's Level of Education, please go to this site-
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/education-assessed/read-report.html

Now for your specific query I am going to demonstrate how enter your credential correctly in EE profile-

Here I am showing you how to enter detail for your diploma, you should follow same for your bachelors degree. In EE they have put 3 or more years diploma and Bachelors degree together, so your level of education for your diploma will be "Bachelors degree OR 3 or more years program". After you enter both credentials and submit the profile, system will count your points automatically and award you points for "two or more degree'.

You will have following questions to answer in your EE profile to add your Diploma-

Name of the credential: should be "Diploma in Hotel Management and Catering Technology"
Institute name: should be awarding university name (not the college name, check ECA report)
Start Date: diploma start date
is it your current study? answer NO
End Date: diploma end date(usually last day of exam)
Completed Academic years: 3 years
Level of education: Bachelors OR 3 or more years program...
Have you completed Canadian degree during this time? answer NO
have you got ECA? answer YES
which organization: WES
reference number: WES ref no (it ends with 'IMM')
ECA report Date: Eca completion date (check report)
Level of Education as per the ECA: Bachelors OR three or more years program

Click Save and Add, it will show at the bottom of the page, you can add your bachelors after.

Hope it helps. Good Luck!

Dear Sir,

This was indeed the best detailed response I have ever received. Further to the same, my last but not the least question is:
Post the diploma in Hotel Management and Catering technology ( passed in 2007 ) I started working and there was a gap of a year after which I took admission for the Degree Program in 2008 ( distance education through UGC recognised university.) and successfully passed in 2009. Please note that it was a 3 years degree programme where 1st two years were exempted as the university offered me a credit for the 3 years diploma in same stream . The credit narration was mentioned in the transcript too post which WES gave me summay as Canadian equivalency : Diploma (three years) and bachelor's Degree (three years).

QUESTION: now in this case, can you please help for answering questions in EE profile for the degree credential. In a similar way you did for the diploma?? and I hope the 1 year gap should not be a problem as I do have an experience letter from the employer to prove that I was working during that period.

Thanks a lot again.

ishq74

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2017
Dear Sir,

This was indeed the best detailed response I have ever received. Further to the same, my last but not the least question is:
Post the diploma in Hotel Management and Catering technology ( passed in 2007 ) I started working and there was a gap of a year after which I took admission for the Degree Program in 2008 ( distance education through UGC recognised university.) and successfully passed in 2009. Please note that it was a 3 years degree programme where 1st two years were exempted as the university offered me a credit for the 3 years diploma in same stream . The credit narration was mentioned in the transcript too post which WES gave me summay as Canadian equivalency : Diploma (three years) and bachelor's Degree (three years).

QUESTION: now in this case, can you please help for answering questions in EE profile for the degree credential. In a similar way you did for the diploma?? and I hope the 1 year gap should not be a problem as I do have an experience letter from the employer to prove that I was working during that period.

Thanks a lot again.
I understand the whole Canadian Immigration documentation process is quite tough and little thing makes us worried a lot. Your work experience must be within last ten years to be eligible for EE. You must get ECA report to claim any education points. Your work experience points and education points are not related. Your education points are solely based on your ECA report though you have to submit your degree certificates as well during eAPR. It does not matter how you have achieved your degree, all that matter what ECA report you got.

You do not need to explain your exempted credits (this part already done by ECA) neither you need to submit letter from employer as it will not be counted towards your experience because it was more than 10 years ago. As you already have the ECA report, if you have done IELTS as well then just fill out express entry profile without any hesitation.

Fill out the form similar to the process that I mentioned for your diploma. Only difference would be completed academic years. It should be 3 years because you got credits for two exempted years as well even though your start date and end date would suggest you attended only one year. This should NOT affect your score because system will count points based on Level of Education according to ECA report.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

harrycanada

Jul 9, 2018
I understand the whole Canadian Immigration documentation process is quite tough and little thing makes us worried a lot. Your work experience must be within last ten years to be eligible for EE. You must get ECA report to claim any education points. Your work experience points and education points are not related. Your education points are solely based on your ECA report though you have to submit your degree certificates as well during eAPR. It does not matter how you have achieved your degree, all that matter what ECA report you got.

You do not need to explain your exempted credits (this part already done by ECA) neither you need to submit letter from employer as it will not be counted towards your experience because it was more than 10 years ago. As you already have the ECA report, if you have done IELTS as well then just fill out express entry profile without any hesitation.

Fill out the form similar to the process that I mentioned for your diploma. Only difference would be completed academic years. It should be 3 years because you got credits for two exempted years as well even though your start date and end date would suggest you attended only one year. This should NOT affect your score because system will count points based on Level of Education according to ECA report.

Good Luck!

Hello again sir,

So that's yet again a valuable response. Just to reconfirm what I understood from your revert : Every answer remains same as per what you elaborated for the entries made for diploma. Now one last field which is left blank is the weather is was Full-time/part-time study. As mentioned earlier it was a one year distance education that I have done along with my job. I hope the part-time study will not affect the scores in a negative way ! I am just waiting for IELTS results to be out on 20th july which is just round the corner.

Sir will be grateful if you can share you whatsapp number. I look forward to keep in touch with you. and will surely not bother you more than required.

regards !

Reactions: ishq74

ishq74

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2017
Hello again sir,

So that's yet again a valuable response. Just to reconfirm what I understood from your revert : Every answer remains same as per what you elaborated for the entries made for diploma. Now one last field which is left blank is the weather is was Full-time/part-time study. As mentioned earlier it was a one year distance education that I have done along with my job. I hope the part-time study will not affect the scores in a negative way ! I am just waiting for IELTS results to be out on 20th july which is just round the corner.

Sir will be grateful if you can share you whatsapp number. I look forward to keep in touch with you. and will surely not bother you more than required.

regards !
No part time study won't affect any score. You can PM me here in Canada visa. I would be happy to offer any help. Good luck!

Mohammadhj88

Jul 18, 2018
No part time study won't affect any score. You can PM me here in Canada visa. I would be happy to offer any help. Good luck!
Hello ishq74
What about a certificate to be obtained from a Canadian university and it is online for 9 month only. Would this certificate be considered in addition to my ECA report "bachelor" as {two or more certificate, diploma or degree} category?

I'm confused if there is a specific requirement for the certificate duration (9 months)

Thanks in advance