+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Two or More Certificates, Degrees or Diploma - Let's Get it Sorted

Aug 7, 2018
Hi Friends,
I need your help here.

I have done BAMS (passed 2006) from India (for which I have the ECA done from IQAS and got equivalency as Bachelors, though WES does not recognize the BAMS degree at all). In addition to the BAMS, I have done one-year Post Graduate Diploma in Emergency Medical Services (PGDEMS) from Symbiosis Institute of Health Sciences (SIHS), Pune in 2006-07. This is a part-time (Saturday classes) course.

My PGD certificate is issued by "Symbiosis International Educational Centre", which is also known as Symbiosis International University. Based on the course type, university, year and time of passing etc., can anyone advise if I can claim additional points for one-year PGDEMS in Canadian Express Entry for "Two or more certificates, diplomas or degrees"?

1. From Degree Equivalency tool of WES, I understand that the institution "Symbiosis International Education Centre" is a recognized institute with WES for Degree programs, however, I am not sure that if this Institution is recognized for equivalency for all kind of PG Diplomas/Certificates (one year in my case) or not, enabling me to claim additional points. And, if WES would provide ECA for this course without submitting my Bachelors along with (though I know they don’t provide ECA for BAMS). I heard that a) WES asks for Bachelors degree along with your PGD and does not provide ECA for PG diploma alone b) I even heard that WES does not provide equivalency for one-year PGD courses. Please clarify.

2. Is selection of "Two or more certificates, diplomas or degrees. One must be for a program of three years or more years", valid only for Bachelor's degree and two-year PG diploma or is it valid for Bachelor's degree and one-year PG diploma as well?

3. Is Part-time course recognized for ECA? And are PGD courses from "Symbiosis International Education Centre" (now Symbiosis International University) recognized by IQAS, I read lot of different opinions on some threads saying that Symbiosis courses are only recognized after 2008.

4. If it is valid for Bachelor's Degree and one year PG diploma to score more points under "Two or more certificates, diplomas or degrees. One must be for a program of three years or more years", then is it necessary to have both certificates equivalency done by same agency or can it be two different agencies? If it has to be by the same agency, then should I submit only my PG diploma to IQAS separately for ECA or shall I submit Bachelors Certificate and one-year PG diploma certificate for up-gradation on a single ECA report? What is the process of submitting for up gradation, since nothing is mentioned on IQAS website. My immigration consultant told me to create another login of IQAS and submit both degrees for ECA to IQAS, so that I get the ECA assessment on a single certificate. Does that matter to get ECA for all education on single report for EE? However, another guy told me that if I submit both of my certificates again for ECA to IQAS, they might get suspicious of you submitting BAMS degree for assessment again since they would come to know from their system (through your name and passport number etc.) about your previous BAMS ECA already done by them. And he even said, if you just submit your one-year PGD diploma for ECA assessment, they might get suspicious that why did not you submit this certificate before along with the BAMS (they might look at this as a fake certificate).

This is so confusing. Request your expert advise and guidance.

Reactions: drsmitagk

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
Hi Friends,
I need your help here.

I have done BAMS (passed 2006) from India (for which I have the ECA done from IQAS and got equivalency as Bachelors, though WES does not recognize the BAMS degree at all). In addition to the BAMS, I have done one-year Post Graduate Diploma in Emergency Medical Services (PGDEMS) from Symbiosis Institute of Health Sciences (SIHS), Pune in 2006-07. This is a part-time (Saturday classes) course.

My PGD certificate is issued by "Symbiosis International Educational Centre", which is also known as Symbiosis International University. Based on the course type, university, year and time of passing etc., can anyone advise if I can claim additional points for one-year PGDEMS in Canadian Express Entry for "Two or more certificates, diplomas or degrees"?

1. From Degree Equivalency tool of WES, I understand that the institution "Symbiosis International Education Centre" is a recognized institute with WES for Degree programs, however, I am not sure that if this Institution is recognized for equivalency for all kind of PG Diplomas/Certificates (one year in my case) or not, enabling me to claim additional points. And, if WES would provide ECA for this course without submitting my Bachelors along with (though I know they don’t provide ECA for BAMS). I heard that a) WES asks for Bachelors degree along with your PGD and does not provide ECA for PG diploma alone b) I even heard that WES does not provide equivalency for one-year PGD courses. Please clarify.

2. Is selection of "Two or more certificates, diplomas or degrees. One must be for a program of three years or more years", valid only for Bachelor's degree and two-year PG diploma or is it valid for Bachelor's degree and one-year PG diploma as well?

3. Is Part-time course recognized for ECA? And are PGD courses from "Symbiosis International Education Centre" (now Symbiosis International University) recognized by IQAS, I read lot of different opinions on some threads saying that Symbiosis courses are only recognized after 2008.

4. If it is valid for Bachelor's Degree and one year PG diploma to score more points under "Two or more certificates, diplomas or degrees. One must be for a program of three years or more years", then is it necessary to have both certificates equivalency done by same agency or can it be two different agencies? If it has to be by the same agency, then should I submit only my PG diploma to IQAS separately for ECA or shall I submit Bachelors Certificate and one-year PG diploma certificate for up-gradation on a single ECA report? What is the process of submitting for up gradation, since nothing is mentioned on IQAS website. My immigration consultant told me to create another login of IQAS and submit both degrees for ECA to IQAS, so that I get the ECA assessment on a single certificate. Does that matter to get ECA for all education on single report for EE? However, another guy told me that if I submit both of my certificates again for ECA to IQAS, they might get suspicious of you submitting BAMS degree for assessment again since they would come to know from their system (through your name and passport number etc.) about your previous BAMS ECA already done by them. And he even said, if you just submit your one-year PGD diploma for ECA assessment, they might get suspicious that why did not you submit this certificate before along with the BAMS (they might look at this as a fake certificate).

This is so confusing. Request your expert advise and guidance.
Two or more means minimum two. One of them is a bachelor
You can google what two or moremeans on the cic website.

You arent required to get an ECA done for all of your diplomas. I dont see why it would be suspicious. Some people get a diploma done through wes and another through icas

amansingh229

Dec 22, 2017
Hi,

Thanks for the explanation, really appreciate that you have spent some time to share your exp and knowledge.

I am looking for someone to confirm my understanding related to how to fill the education details in express entry profile.

Doubts:
I have done 3 years fo diploma after 10th followed by 3 years of Bachelors.

ECA Evaluation : Diploma 2yrs + bachelors 4yrs

But when i fill the express entry profile, i can see two dropdowns asking "Level of Education"
1. Level of education ----> This will be 3 years of Diploma + 3 years of Bachelor
2. Level of education (Canadian equivalent) shown on Education Credential Assessment (ECA) ---> Diploma 2yrs + 4yrs Bachelor

Can you please confirm if its correct, as it makes sense to me, that we are mentioning the original study and then providing them with EAC assessment.

Also, If you can confirm my understanding on the below, i will really appreciate that.

128 points, if the foreign national has two or more post-secondary program credentials and at least one of them was issued at the completion of a post-secondary program of three years or more,

So over here, as i have my ECA stating 2yrs of diploma + 4yr of bachelor, i should be good with claiming the above points?

As i can see the details on CIC website:

Two-year post-secondary credential

Designated organizations assessment outcomes
  • College diploma
  • College diploma (two years)
  • Diploma (two years)
  • Two-year diplomaFootnote i
  • Two-year diploma in [name of discipline]
  • Secondary school diploma and diploma (two years)
  • Associate degree
  • Associate of [Arts/Science] degree
  • Post-secondary diploma with a focus in [area of concentration]Footnote i
  • Two-year post-secondary diploma with a focus in [area of concentration]Footnote i
  • Two-year associate degree

Three-year or longer post-secondary credential

• College diploma (three years)
  • Diploma (three years)
  • Three-year diploma in [name of discipline]
  • Three-year advanced diplomaFootnote i
  • Bachelor’s degree
  • Applied bachelor’s degree
  • Bachelor’s degree (three years)
  • Three-year bachelor’s degree, specializing in [name of discipline]
  • Three-year bachelor degreeFootnote i
  • Bachelor’s degree (four years)
  • Four-year bachelor’s degree, specializing in [name of discipline]

So my bachelors cover the 3 years post-secondary criteria and my two years diploma covers the aditional post secondary education.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards.

Well, I have been answering same for many applicants. Want to add the following clarifications from two other authentic IRCC sources-

Paragraph 78 (1)(e) of Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (SOR/2002-227).

Education (25 points)
  • 78 (1) Points shall be awarded, to a maximum of 25, for a skilled worker’s Canadian educational credential or equivalency assessment submitted in support of an application, as follows:
  • (a) 5 points for a secondary school credential;
  • (b) 15 points for a one-year post-secondary program credential;
  • (c) 19 points for a two-year post-secondary program credential;
  • (d) 21 points for a post-secondary program credential of three years or longer;
  • (e) 22 points for two or more post-secondary program credentials, one of which must be a credential issued on completion of a post-secondary program of three years or longer;
  • (f) 23 points for a university-level credential at the master’s level or at the level of an entry-to-practice professional degree for an occupation listed in the National Occupational Classification matrix at Skill Level A for which licensing by a provincial regulatory body is required; and
  • (g) 25 points for a university-level credential at the doctoral level.
  • Marginal note:More than one educational credential
    (2) For the purposes of subsection (1), points
    • (a) except as set out in paragraph (1)(e), shall not be awarded cumulatively on the basis of more than one educational credential; and
    • (b) shall be awarded on the basis of the Canadian educational credentials or equivalency assessments submitted in support of an application for a permanent resident visa that result in the highest number of points.
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2002-227/page-18.html#docCont

Those who are saying second degree must be after bachelors should read above. 78(1)(e) clearly says two or more post-secondary program credentials. Basically you can claim points for all post secondary credentials which are assessed as Canadian equivalent by one of the designated organizations such as WES, IQAS etc. To claim points for two or more degree One of the credentials must be assessed as 3 years or long degree , diploma or certificate and other one can be assessed as minimum one year long program BEFORE or AFTER the 3 year long Degree.

Hope this clarifies the confusion once for all!

Reactions: drsmitagk

Himanshu@76453

Aug 6, 2018
Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees

So lately there has been a lot of confusion about the option to choose "Two or more degrees, diploma" in the CRS Calculator. Many people are worried if their qualification comes under this. So lets get it sorted out for once and all.

First of all, when you create an Express Entry profile, there is no such option of selecting "two or more degrees, diplomas" in the Education section. In the EE profile, you just need to enter each of your qualifications, as per ECA. Once you enter all the details, the system calculates the points for Education and Skill Transfer-ability factor, on its own, using this data. So just enter the details as per the ECA and the points will be calculated.

But some people want to know, before creating the EE profile, whether they can claim points for two or more degrees, diplomas.

In that case, first get an ECA for your educational qualifications. Without an ECA, its hard to predict whether you will be eligible to claim points for two or more degrees. Once you have the ECA, please refer to the following link and if your ECA equivalency is mentioned there, you are eligible:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/become-candidate/eligibility/education-assessed/read-report.html

Many people get confused with the wordings in the above link, where it mentions:

Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees.
Important notice: One must be for a program of three or more years.

ECA assessment results:

A three-year or more certificate, diploma, or degree

PLUS any of the results in the sections below (not including secondary/high school), or:
  • Post-Bachelor's Certificate
  • Post-undergraduate certificate
  • Post-Bachelor's Diploma
  • Post-undergraduate diploma
  • Graduate Certificate
  • Graduate Certificate with a focus in [area of concentration]
  • Postgraduate certificate
  • Postgraduate Diploma
  • Graduate Diploma with a focus in [area of concentration]
  • Graduate diploma
  • two-year Postgraduate Diploma, specializing in [name of discipline]
  • two-year Bachelor’s after degree with a focus in [area of concentration]
  • one-year Postgraduate Certificate in [name of discipline]
  • Dual Bachelor’s degree (four years)
The above highlighted part (in red) specifically mentions that if your ECA Equivalency in mentioned in the below sections too, you are eligible to claim points for two or more degrees.

The sections are:

Bachelor’s degree or other programs (three or more years) at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute

Two-year degree, diploma or certificate from a program at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute

One-year degree, diploma or certificate from a program at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute

Please note that you should have at least one of the credential in your ECA must be for 3 or more years, in order to claim the points under this category.

Also, there has been a misconception that the second diploma/degree should be after you earned the bachelor's degree. This is not true, your diploma could have been completed before the bachelor's degree and you will still be eligible.

I hope post will clear all the confusion. If there is any error in my post, please let me know and suggestions are also welcome.
Hey sorry i have a query i haven't done post graduation yet. I want to do and deadline is tomorrow for the admissions.

My college is not listed in the free tool how can we get the full list of acceptable institutions? Or atleast can u confirm if kc college of management will be accepted or not?

Thanks

sp081990

Aug 18, 2018
Hi,

Thanks for the explanation, really appreciate that you have spent some time to share your exp and knowledge.

I am looking for someone to confirm my understanding related to how to fill the education details in express entry profile.

Doubts:
I have done 3 years fo diploma after 10th followed by 3 years of Bachelors.

ECA Evaluation : Diploma 2yrs + bachelors 4yrs

But when i fill the express entry profile, i can see two dropdowns asking "Level of Education"
1. Level of education ----> This will be 3 years of Diploma + 3 years of Bachelor
2. Level of education (Canadian equivalent) shown on Education Credential Assessment (ECA) ---> Diploma 2yrs + 4yrs Bachelor

Can you please confirm if its correct, as it makes sense to me, that we are mentioning the original study and then providing them with EAC assessment.

Also, If you can confirm my understanding on the below, i will really appreciate that.

128 points, if the foreign national has two or more post-secondary program credentials and at least one of them was issued at the completion of a post-secondary program of three years or more,

So over here, as i have my ECA stating 2yrs of diploma + 4yr of bachelor, i should be good with claiming the above points?

As i can see the details on CIC website:

Two-year post-secondary credential

• College diploma
  • College diploma (two years)
  • Diploma (two years)
  • Two-year diplomaFootnote i
  • Two-year diploma in [name of discipline]
  • Secondary school diploma and diploma (two years)
  • Associate degree
  • Associate of [Arts/Science] degree
  • Post-secondary diploma with a focus in [area of concentration]Footnote i
  • Two-year post-secondary diploma with a focus in [area of concentration]Footnote i
  • Two-year associate degree

Three-year or longer post-secondary credential

• College diploma (three years)
  • Diploma (three years)
  • Three-year diploma in [name of discipline]
  • Three-year advanced diplomaFootnote i
  • Bachelor’s degree
  • Applied bachelor’s degree
  • Bachelor’s degree (three years)
  • Three-year bachelor’s degree, specializing in [name of discipline]
  • Three-year bachelor degreeFootnote i
  • Bachelor’s degree (four years)
  • Four-year bachelor’s degree, specializing in [name of discipline]

So my bachelors cover the 3 years post-secondary criteria and my two years diploma covers the aditional post secondary education.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards.
Hi Aman,

Did you received points for "Two or more certificates, diplomas or degrees, one must be a program of 3 or more years" . by entering this ECA evaluation.

And how you have entered your education details while creating EE profile as your Evaluation says Diploma (two years) and Bachelor's degree (4 years) and you have done 3 years of diploma and 3 years of degree.

Please help.

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
Hi Aman,

Did you received points for "Two or more certificates, diplomas or degrees, one must be a program of 3 or more years" . by entering this ECA evaluation.

And how you have entered your education details while creating EE profile as your Evaluation says Diploma (two years) and Bachelor's degree (4 years) and you have done 3 years of diploma and 3 years of degree.

Please help.
You add them one by ome with their relative ECAs. Have you tried it? What obstacles did ypu face doing so?

sp081990

Aug 18, 2018
You add them one by ome with their relative ECAs. Have you tried it? What obstacles did ypu face doing so?
I wanted to know whether I am eligible for "Two or more certificates, diplomas or degrees, one must be a program of 3 or more years"
My ECA says:

CANADIAN EQUIVALENCY SUMMARY : Diploma (two years) and bachelor's degree (four years)

CREDENTIAL ANALYSIS
Canadian Equivalency: Secondary school diploma and diploma (two years)

Canadian Equivalency: Bachelor's degree (four years)

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
I wanted to know whether I am eligible for "Two or more certificates, diplomas or degrees, one must be a program of 3 or more years"
My ECA says:

CANADIAN EQUIVALENCY SUMMARY : Diploma (two years) and bachelor's degree (four years)

CREDENTIAL ANALYSIS
Canadian Equivalency: Secondary school diploma and diploma (two years)

Canadian Equivalency: Bachelor's degree (four years)
Did you read what is considered as two or more and compared with your ECA?

shahvishal679

Star Member
Aug 19, 2018
Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees

So lately there has been a lot of confusion about the option to choose "Two or more degrees, diploma" in the CRS Calculator. Many people are worried if their qualification comes under this. So lets get it sorted out for once and all.

First of all, when you create an Express Entry profile, there is no such option of selecting "two or more degrees, diplomas" in the Education section. In the EE profile, you just need to enter each of your qualifications, as per ECA. Once you enter all the details, the system calculates the points for Education and Skill Transfer-ability factor, on its own, using this data. So just enter the details as per the ECA and the points will be calculated.

But some people want to know, before creating the EE profile, whether they can claim points for two or more degrees, diplomas.

In that case, first get an ECA for your educational qualifications. Without an ECA, its hard to predict whether you will be eligible to claim points for two or more degrees. Once you have the ECA, please refer to the following link and if your ECA equivalency is mentioned there, you are eligible:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/become-candidate/eligibility/education-assessed/read-report.html

Many people get confused with the wordings in the above link, where it mentions:

Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees.
Important notice: One must be for a program of three or more years.

ECA assessment results:

A three-year or more certificate, diploma, or degree

PLUS any of the results in the sections below (not including secondary/high school), or:
  • Post-Bachelor's Certificate
  • Post-undergraduate certificate
  • Post-Bachelor's Diploma
  • Post-undergraduate diploma
  • Graduate Certificate
  • Graduate Certificate with a focus in [area of concentration]
  • Postgraduate certificate
  • Postgraduate Diploma
  • Graduate Diploma with a focus in [area of concentration]
  • Graduate diploma
  • two-year Postgraduate Diploma, specializing in [name of discipline]
  • two-year Bachelor’s after degree with a focus in [area of concentration]
  • one-year Postgraduate Certificate in [name of discipline]
  • Dual Bachelor’s degree (four years)
The above highlighted part (in red) specifically mentions that if your ECA Equivalency in mentioned in the below sections too, you are eligible to claim points for two or more degrees.

The sections are:

Bachelor’s degree or other programs (three or more years) at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute

Two-year degree, diploma or certificate from a program at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute

One-year degree, diploma or certificate from a program at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute

Please note that you should have at least one of the credential in your ECA must be for 3 or more years, in order to claim the points under this category.

Also, there has been a misconception that the second diploma/degree should be after you earned the bachelor's degree. This is not true, your diploma could have been completed before the bachelor's degree and you will still be eligible.

I hope post will clear all the confusion. If there is any error in my post, please let me know and suggestions are also welcome.
Hi if I studied for 3 years as Bachelor of commerce for 3 years and two 1 year course in Canada can I apply as 2 or more Certificate?

shahvishal679

Star Member
Aug 19, 2018
Depends on what your 1 year course was in Canada. And if your Bachelors was outside Canada, you need to get the ECA for it first.
Hi I received a 3 year Bachelor equivalency. Then I studied 2 post graduation courses for 1 year in Toronto. Do you think this can be 2 or more Certificate?

sp081990

Aug 18, 2018
Thanks for your reply. I have few more questions. Could you please help with the below.

This is my exact scenario:

10th Std -> Diploma(3 years) -> Bachelors(3 years through lateral entry)

From your reply,

(1)

Both of your credentials must be from "Recognized Institution"

- If you see my ECA report, my diploma evaluation doesn't say "Recognized Institution". Do I need to get this updated in my WES report?

(2)

Start Date: diploma start date
is it your current study? answer NO
End Date: diploma end date(usually last day of exam)
Completed Academic years: calculate duration (should be 2 year)

- My Diploma start date is June 1998 and end date is April 2001. So the duration is three years. Should I give as below?

Start Date: June 1998
End Date: April 2001
Completed Academic years: How do i calculate the duration for two years? Simple give 2 years though the start date and end date doesn't calculate for 2 years?

(2)

You will have following questions to answer in your EE profile to add your Bachelors-

Start Date: degree start date
End Date: degree end date(usually last day of exam)
Completed Academic years: (normal degree duration)

- My Bachelor's start date is June 2001 and end date is April 2004. The duration is three years as it is through lateral entry (though it was a four year program). Should I give as below?

Start Date: June 1998
End Date: April 2001
Completed Academic years: How do i calculate the duration for normal degree duration? Simply give 4 years though the start and end date doesn't calculate for 4 years?

Hi Naturam,

Did you got the points for "Two or more certificates, diplomas or degrees, one must be a program of 3 or more years".

As my ECA is also similar to your's, I need to know whether I am also eligible for "Two or more certificates, diplomas or degrees, one must be a program of 3 or more years".

Also, while entering detail in EE profile, did you provided your original years like 3 years of Diploma and 3 years of Bachelors OR you entered as per stated in ECA i.e. Diploma(2 years) and Bachelor's(4 years) .

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Omer Terino

Jul 17, 2018
I seek guidance as I got my WES evaluation which says:
“Diploma (2 years) & bachelor’s degree (three years)”
My education:

1-Two years secondary education (canadian equivalency as per Wes: Secondary School Diploma)
2-Two years bachelors in commerce (canadian equivalence as per WES: Diploma-two years, recognized institution)
3-Two years MBA: Bachrelor’s Degree - Three years, recognized institution
I have entered first one as secondary school diploma, two years bachelor as diploma two years and MBA as bachelor’s degree three years.
Would be kind of you guys if you can please guide if thats marked correctly, thanks