+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

'Two' consecutive 1 yr Post Graduate Diploma course = 3 year PGWP?

student_2013

Star Member
Feb 2, 2014
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16 June 2014
Med's Request
1st December 2014
Med's Done....
6th December 2014
enfield said:
Hi,

You can apply ONLY IF;

1. It's a combination of;

a) 1 year Diploma + 1 year Master Degree, or
b) 1 year Degree + 1 year Post Graduate Diploma.

2. You MUST complete your 2nd course within 2 years
of having successfully
pass-out the 1st course.
Hi Enfield,

Need your suggestion on below query.

If I take study permit of 2 years for a "Masters Degree" (30 credits program) for fall 2014 intake but complete this degree within 1 year, i.e. obtain 30 credits by August 2015.

Can I USE THE SAME STUDY PERMIT to study in Canada for remaining 1 Year and do a Post Degree Diploma/Masters course (starting sept/2015 or Jan 2016 and ending April 2016 or August 2016)???

OR

will I have to apply for study permit again after completing my 1st degree and before starting my 2nd course?

Main purpose is to make myself eligible for 3 Years PGWP by having 2 Years of Study + 60 Credits by the end of 2 Years study permit.

Thanks in Advance.

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just apply to a 2 year FULL TIME program. There are plenty. There is no need to count credits.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If I take study permit of 2 years for a "Masters Degree" (30 credits program) for fall 2014 intake but complete this degree within 1 year, i.e. obtain 30 credits by August 2015.
2 years for 30 credits? It looks as a part time.

I know a case when a person was accepted for 2 year PG program (16 courses). Transferred credits from her homeland bachelor degree , that left her with just 9 courses=2 semesters, and after that got 3 years PGWP.
I also talked to my friend who is a Registrar at the university in Canada, and she said that CIC would look not at your factual studies (1 year in the example above) but at what is in your letter of acceptance (2 years) and your SP (2 years) and depending on it PGWP will be issued (for 3 years) even if you actually studied only 1 year.

student_2013

Star Member
Feb 2, 2014
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16 June 2014
Med's Request
1st December 2014
Med's Done....
6th December 2014
Most of the MEng programs and some of the MS programs are of just 30 credits although they are 2 years FULL Time programs. Universities mention that length of the program is 2 years but it can be completed in less than 2 years.

However, chances of getting 3 year PGWP after such courses may be less coz the number of credits earned are just 30, even if I study for 2 years Full time.

Let us consider below scenario and get expert comments

I take a 2 Year study permit on the basis of a 2 Years Masters Degree (30 Credits) in British Columbia. But after Landing I change my program to 1 Year Post Degree diploma (30 Credits) in BC.

After completing this 1 year Post Degree diploma, I join a 30 credit Masters degree course and complete it within 1 year. Hence, I will be taking total of 60 Credits by completing two courses on a single 2 year work permit

Am I voilating any rule??

Will there be any problem in getting PGWP? What will be the duration of PGWP?

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
student_2013 said:
Let us consider below scenario and get expert comments
For expert comments, you would have to contact CIC. They are the experts on the subject and can tell you if you are violating any rules.

student_2013

Star Member
Feb 2, 2014
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16 June 2014
Med's Request
1st December 2014
Med's Done....
6th December 2014
itstime said:
For expert comments, you would have to contact CIC. They are the experts on the subject and can tell you if you are violating any rules.
Thanks, can you please provide how can I contact CIC from India to clear this confusion.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
can you please provide how can I contact CIC from India to clear this confusion.
The same way as other people do from around the world.
Go to www.cic.gc.ca and on the FIRST page scroll down. There are, on the bottom "CONTACT INFORMATION" is written. Click on the link with left click and then look for "For callers outside Canada" ;)

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
student_2013 said:
Thanks, can you please provide how can I contact CIC from India to clear this confusion.
Regina already answered your question although not needed. Had you been to the cic website and gone through the immigration options, you would have seen that there are ways of contacting them.

You could also contact the visa offices in your country that deals with Canadian immigration.

Please do as much of your own research on the government official websites.

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Regina said:
Why should they bother? ;) Let somebody else do job for them. :D
Thank god for kharma buttons. I have hit your + sign a few times already. I am so facebook addicted I always look for a "like" button when I see your posts.

UoW111

Aug 19, 2011
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
UPDATED LINK: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2010/ob194A.asp

Revised program criteria

Students holding a one-year graduate degree, diploma or certificate from a participating institution in Canada after having obtained, within the prior two years, a certificate, a diploma or degree from a participating institution in Canada may qualify for a three-year work permit. This exception also applies to students who have left Canada temporarily between programs of study.

vash021

Star Member
Mar 28, 2014
UoW111 said:
UPDATED LINK: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2010/ob194A.asp

Revised program criteria

Students holding a one-year graduate degree, diploma or certificate from a participating institution in Canada after having obtained, within the prior two years, a certificate, a diploma or degree from a participating institution in Canada may qualify for a three-year work permit. This exception also applies to students who have left Canada temporarily between programs of study.
hey man what if its the other way around im gonna do my 1 year masters first then look for a 1 year certificate/diploma?
and I cant do the certificate first because i have already been accpeted for 1 year masters and dont want to wait for fall intake

thank you

Ryan1981

Jul 27, 2014
Many colleges have two years Post Graduate Diplomas, instead of going for two Post Graduate Certificates, you may opt for two years Post Graduate Diplomas.