+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

'Two' consecutive 1 yr Post Graduate Diploma course = 3 year PGWP?

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
xenoboy said:
What I am going to do is to study two Post graduate certificate programs, one at centennial (the one I am doing right now), and my second post graduate at Seneca.

Some people get a 2 years work permit this way, and other ones get a 3 years work permit.

I am not sure why, but it is not official that is due to the credit hours of the program as far as I know.
Hi,

1. It would be your choice, still it may NOT be a good idea to pursue 2 consecutive PG Cert. without first calculating the total credit hours. Better not to take any risk.

Shakeel Abbas

Jan 1, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
george11 said:
To make it clear,

If you undergo 2yr Fulltime course

[ Adv Diploma
PG course(MS,MBA,Meng
2yr duration PG certificate course a single program not multiple programs ]

the workpermit is for 3yrs is guranteed.

but if the course duration is less than 2rs the workpermit is for the duration of study.

ie 1yr study - 1yr workpermit
8months - 8months workpermit

Also include what enfield had told
this one year wp is included in our study duration or we can do work one year after completing our course?

Shakeel Abbas

Jan 1, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
enfield said:
Hi,

You can apply ONLY IF;

1. It's a combination of;

a) 1 year Diploma + 1 year Master Degree, or
b) 1 year Degree + 1 year Post Graduate Diploma.

2. You MUST complete your 2nd course within 2 years
of having successfully
pass-out the 1st course.

www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2010/ob194.asp
If we get admission in a 2 yr post graduate diploma,advance diploma or certificate(full time) then we are eligible or not for 3 year work permit?

Shakeel Abbas

Jan 1, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
enfield said:
Hi,

1. Not 'very uncertain', but more a matter of 'insufficient credit hours'.
2. Your one friend (with 1 + 1 PG Certificate = 3 year PGWP), most likely able to earn enough 'credit hours' for a 3 year PGWP (it's very rare for a certificate course to offer that much 'credit hours').
3. To be on a safer side to get a 3 year PGWP either;

:you calculate total credit hours, OR
:eek:pt for a 1 year PG certificate + 1 year Degree course (as suggested by CIC, Canada).
HI,
combined credit hours are required for pgwp?mean of both courses . . ?

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Shakeel Abbas said:
If we get admission in a 2 yr post graduate diploma,advance diploma or certificate(full time) then we are eligible or not for 3 year work permit?
Hi,

1. Yes, you are eligible provided you get enough credit hours for a 3 year PGWP. We have students, with 15 month course, ended up with a full 3 year PGWP and also students, with 2 year course and only 1 year PGWP.

sai9999

Jan 16, 2012
Hi Enfield,
I am planning to do HRM (Postgraduate) Course - 1year from Niagara College, would like to know whether i am eligble for PGWP, if not what is the next step for me get eligble for PGW....Please answer

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sai9999 said:
Hi Enfield,
I am planning to do HRM (Postgraduate) Course - 1year from Niagara College, would like to know whether i am eligble for PGWP, if not what is the next step for me get eligble for PGW....Please answer
Hi,

1. Yes, if your school is 'Niagara College of Applied Arts and Technology, Ontario'. Still you can refer www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/institutions/participants.asp to see if your school qualify for PGWP program.

sai9999

Jan 16, 2012
Hi Enfield,

I have checked out and Niagara College is in the PGWP Participating list....So if i pursue my HRM (1yr Course) i think i am eligble only for 1 year PGWP ....In case after my 1 year PGWPermit expires, can i renew it and extend that PGWP and stay for some more time to work there.....

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sai9999 said:
Hi Enfield,

I have checked out and Niagara College is in the PGWP Participating list....So if i pursue my HRM (1yr Course) i think i am eligble only for 1 year PGWP ....In case after my 1 year PGWPermit expires, can i renew it and extend that PGWP and stay for some more time to work there.....
Hi,

1. No, you can't renew your PGWP. To continue post PGWP, you need to apply for a 'Full Work Permit' on the basis of a positive LMO (Labour Market Opinion). It's your prospective employer who will apply for a positive LMO on your behalf. It's NOT an easy way to get a positive LMO, still chances are good for high skill occupations.

ramancheema

Jan 21, 2012
hi
I am presently pursuing my graduation certificate in community mental health, its a 1 year programme.
its is a part time graduate certificate

after tht our college suggested ud to a 6 months course of GAS from same college to get a 3 yrs work permit.

but my problem is that i am planning to move to vancouver after completing this course.
now my question is
1. if i apply further there in vancouver for another course of 1 year, then am I eligible to apply for PSWP by cumulating both certificates?
2. or do i have to apply for some diploma there ?
3. or should i go through as the college suggested for GAS ??
please i am really confused., i dont know what to do?
my personal choice is to move to vancouver, so please help ...anyone...:(

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ramancheema said:
hi
I am presently pursuing my graduation certificate in community mental health, its a 1 year programme.
its is a part time graduate certificate

after tht our college suggested ud to a 6 months course of GAS from same college to get a 3 yrs work permit.

but my problem is that i am planning to move to vancouver after completing this course.
now my question is
1. if i apply further there in vancouver for another course of 1 year, then am I eligible to apply for PSWP by cumulating both certificates?
2. or do i have to apply for some diploma there ?
3. or should i go through as the college suggested for GAS ??
please i am really confused., i dont know what to do?
my personal choice is to move to vancouver, so please help ...anyone...:(
Hi,

1. With a PART-TIME study and status in Canada, you are NOT eligible to apply for a Post Graduate Work Permit. To be eligible, you must have studied FULL-TIME in Canada.
3. It's "highly unlikely" to have a 3 year PGWP based on a 1 year Graduate Certificate + 6 months GAS course.

ramancheema

Jan 21, 2012
acc to my college, this is part time course....but as like other students i am doing it as full time. many of my friends have got one year PSWP after this course and now they are moved to other places. but i want to get a 3 year work permit thats why i am looking to apply for an another course of 1 year, any post graduation diploma.
so is it gonna work out or not??
and what is the scene of credits ??? how many credits do we need to get 3 yrs work permit ?
this thing has really screwed me up....i can't even concentrate on my further future planning...
gosh ..plz help me what should i do to get on a safe side...!!
can u please suggest me what should i do?

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ramancheema said:
acc to my college, this is part time course....but as like other students i am doing it as full time. many of my friends have got one year PSWP after this course and now they are moved to other places. but i want to get a 3 year work permit thats why i am looking to apply for an another course of 1 year, any post graduation diploma.
so is it gonna work out or not??
and what is the scene of credits ??? how many credits do we need to get 3 yrs work permit ?
this thing has really screwed me up....i can't even concentrate on my further future planning...
gosh ..plz help me what should i do to get on a safe side...!!
can u please suggest me what should i do?
Hi,

1. Again, would like to quote CIC;

[Revised program criteria]

Students holding a one‑year graduate degree or diploma from a provincially or territorially accredited post‑secondary educational/training institution in Canada after having obtained, within the prior two years, a diploma or degree from an accredited post‑secondary educational/training institution in Canada may qualify for a three‑year work permit. This exception also applies to students who have left Canada temporarily between programs of study.

Example 1 : A student who obtained a one‑year MBA from a provincially or territorially accredited post‑secondary institution in Canada after having obtained a one‑year diploma, no more than two years before obtaining the MBA, would be allowed to cumulate both degrees and therefore would be eligible for a three‑year post‑graduation work permit.

Example 2 : A student who obtained a one‑year diploma or certificate from either a provincially or territorially accredited post‑secondary institution in Canada after having obtained a degree in Canada at the same or in a different provincially or territorially accredited post‑secondary institution within the previous two years would be allowed to cumulate both educational credentials and therefore would be eligible for a three‑year post‑graduation work permit.

Source: www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2010/ob194.asp