+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Two 8 months courses would give me a 3 year PGWP with a gap in between?

virat1610

Jul 28, 2020
Hi,

I'm from India. I want to do two 8 months courses i.e 2 semesters each. I've heard that 2 semester means 8 months which is considered as 1 year. I'm confused if I do them back to back that will be equal to 16 months! Would that give me a 3 year pgwp? Also if I take a 4 month gap in between the courses would I be able to work full time during that gap and still I'd get 3 years of pgwp.

As per my understanding if I do a 8 month i.e 2 semester course then on the completion letter it would be written 8 month of study. How can I confirm where it would be written 8 months or a year on the transcript/completion letter. Because I think if both the courses indicate 1 year on the transcript then I'd get 3 year pgwp. Please help as I'm really confused and worried about this.

renron

Star Member
Jul 28, 2020
im not sure though but i read from other forums that to be able to earn 3-year PGWP, your study program must be at least with minimum total 60 units...
less than that will be 2-year PGWP for a 2-year program.

renron

Star Member
Jul 28, 2020
most of the time your program of study provide the course or each subject's units...check the school website.
anyway, it's still in the discretion of the IRCC officer to provide you the actual length of your PGWP based on the school's certifications.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Hi,

I'm from India. I want to do two 8 months courses i.e 2 semesters each. I've heard that 2 semester means 8 months which is considered as 1 year. I'm confused if I do them back to back that will be equal to 16 months! Would that give me a 3 year pgwp? Also if I take a 4 month gap in between the courses would I be able to work full time during that gap and still I'd get 3 years of pgwp.

As per my understanding if I do a 8 month i.e 2 semester course then on the completion letter it would be written 8 month of study. How can I confirm where it would be written 8 months or a year on the transcript/completion letter. Because I think if both the courses indicate 1 year on the transcript then I'd get 3 year pgwp. Please help as I'm really confused and worried about this.
Yes you will qualify for 3 year PGWP

ira28

May 26, 2021
I studied 2 programs, 8 months + 8 months continous, without any Gap/breaks. I received 2 graduation letters stating that each study is a 1 year program. I received a 3 year PGWP validity for the continous 16 months study.

Reactions: rogerdude1

virat1610

Jul 28, 2020
I studied 2 programs, 8 months + 8 months continous, without any Gap/breaks. I received 2 graduation letters stating that each study is a 1 year program. I received a 3 year PGWP validity for the continous 16 months study.
What if I took a 4 months break in between? Then also I'll get 3 years of pgwp?

dankboi

VIP Member
Apr 19, 2021
London, United Kingdom
Category........
FSW
When did you apply for the second course? just to know the timeline so to make sure the visa will be approved to continue without leaving the country?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
When did you apply for the second course? just to know the timeline so to make sure the visa will be approved to continue without leaving the country?
A lot of people do this. Depending on when your SP will expire, you can apply for an extension prior to completing your first program so that you still have a valid SP when your next program starts. You don't have to re-apply for a SP as long as your new program is starting within 150 days of completing your last one. If more than 150 days, you'll be required to apply for a new SP and either convert your status to Visitor or leave the country (since you are not planning to appy for PGWP immediately).

ira28

May 26, 2021
What if I took a 4 months break in between? Then also I'll get 3 years of pgwp?
I think there would be no problem. It would be flagged as scheduled break. As long as you take the second program within the next 4 months or 150 days after completing the 1st program.

You are likely to get 3 years PGWP if you have a 2 years program length, as long as you did not take any unofficial breaks or part-time studies.

ira28

May 26, 2021
In my case, I registered for 2 Programs at the same time in the college institution. So my initial LOA already states 2 program with 2 years length. If you can get the college to offer you a LOA with longer program then it is much better. You only need to apply for Study Permit Once. Also, the institution will only ask for a 1 year tuition partial deposit, then you can decide after if you still want to continue or change your second program.

In other cases, if the study permit provided is shorter/expiring than program, you can easily apply for extension 3 months before expiry. You just need to provide a Letter of acceptance from institution.

By practice, Study Permit expiry is usually End Date of Program + 3 months.