+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Trying to understand reason of student visa refusals

dino_choc

Star Member
Jun 13, 2015
Reason - your proposed studies are not reasonable in light of one or more of your qualifications. previous studies , employment , level of establishments , language abilities , or your future prospects and plans.

First of all, I don't understand above reason which I've been seeing lately thrown out to many students hence confusing them about what exactly is the root cause. Does Immigration really care about your IELTS score despite the fact that you have acceptance letter? The college gave you admission based on IELTS so what's the point of rechecking IELTS for Visa. So, if you have 6 bands overall and you meet the eligibility what's the point of beating around the bush?

How many have experienced this so far?

Jun 12, 2015
Hi Dino,

I can only try and understand the feeling felt by the rejected students.

But to answer your question. Yes, CIC does care about your English Proficiency scores, in my mind that is the main deciding factor of visa approvals / refusals. Different schools have different requirements. For example there are some colleges that take a student in at 5.5 in IELTS, but when a student applies with that scores for a visa he or she may get rejected. Cause they did not meet CIC standards.

To top it off I am not sure about your nationality, but if you reside in India, there is the SPP rules and guidelines to be followed. They clearly state you have to get a minimum 6 bands overall and no individual should be less then 5.5.

Its a feeling in the International students groups in Canada that due to the fact that there are so many people Indian and Chinese people who cant speak even a word of English, CIC is now trying to concentrate on the quality of students and immigrants coming in. Plus they have toughened up rules for people applying for PR's and Citizen ships in the same context.

dino_choc

Star Member
Jun 13, 2015
Thanks for replying.

So, if your overall score is 6 bands but one of the individual scores is 5.0 and you apply under General category is same case? I don't think you have a choice of applying under SPP or General. SPP applies to those who need to pursue further studies in continuation of their current studies like a tie-up or collaboration of Indian Institutions to Canadian Institutions.

I understand the mandatory guidelines about English proficiency when you apply for PR or Citizenship as I am a citizen itself, but pinpointing IELTS over 5.5 or 5.0 during Student Visa especially after College given you admission seems little bizarre to me. So, that means they don't consider anything else just plain refuse unless student brings new IELTS score card.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There's actually a very simple answer once you step back and think about a school's real motivation when it comes to international students.

When colleges accept international students they are not thinking about whether that individual is a genuine student or not - what they are really thinking about is the high international fees that student will pay. All colleges (and universities as well) aim to admit a certain number of international students per year since they bring more income than domestic students. Simply put - it's a money big grab. Sure - they do verify that the student meets the very basic criteria to be admitted to the program - but just the minimum. In other words, colleges and universities are more generous than they should be in admitting students because they want the money. If you want the honest truth - that's it.

CIC looks at the student from a "why is this person coming to Canada" perspective. So naturally they have somewhat higher standards than colleges / universities when it comes to acceptance criteria. They also know that schools see international students as a money grab and sometimes admit people they probably shouldn't.

Different motivations and different criteria lead to different results.

dino_choc

Star Member
Jun 13, 2015
I agree with everything you said, Scylla. But, in my case I have experienced same college including several other colleges literally rejecting admission too. So, basically it's the one and only one 2nd choice of program actually we got admission for. I think we should probably mention that in SOP too so VO know that it hasn't been easy peasy. These days top colleges of Toronto are also strict and less humble. I think that's good at least they are not giving false hope to the kids who they know will get stuck during visa process.