+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV required after study permit extension?

wargeneral

Aug 16, 2019
Hello guys,
I am an international student in Canada who has completed his 1st year course and have got admission in a 2nd course of 1 year. Since my TRV and Study permit were valid till the expiry of my 1st course, I applied for study permit extension for my second course and got approved for it.
However, the issue is that, on my passport, the TRV is expiring on 31st of August, 2022. In order to move back to my home country and travel back, I need a valid visa on my passport. For this reason, I applied for a TRV extension, but after 1 month, my application was cancelled.
I called IRCC through helpline and I was informed that I dont need another TRV since my study permit extension has been approved and that I can move in and out of Canada on the basis of my new study permit. I am confused as there are some fellows who say that we need a VALID TRV to travel out and travel in Canada, Has someone been through same situation? Please guide me what to do?

Reactions: bilal2012bs

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello guys,
I am an international student in Canada who has completed his 1st year course and have got admission in a 2nd course of 1 year. Since my TRV and Study permit were valid till the expiry of my 1st course, I applied for study permit extension for my second course and got approved for it.
However, the issue is that, on my passport, the TRV is expiring on 31st of August, 2022. In order to move back to my home country and travel back, I need a valid visa on my passport. For this reason, I applied for a TRV extension, but after 1 month, my application was cancelled.
I called IRCC through helpline and I was informed that I dont need another TRV since my study permit extension has been approved and that I can move in and out of Canada on the basis of my new study permit. I am confused as there are some fellows who say that we need a VALID TRV to travel out and travel in Canada, Has someone been through same situation? Please guide me what to do?
Yes, you need a valid TRV to be able to leave and then return to Canada.

You applied for the wrong thing. You should have applied for a new TRV and not a TRV extension. A TRV extension only allows you to remain in Canada longer. It does not give you a new TRV which is what allows you to leave and the reenter Canada.

You need to submit an application for a new TRV.

wargeneral

Aug 16, 2019
But the thin
Yes, you need a valid TRV to be able to leave and then return to Canada.

You applied for the wrong thing. You should have applied for a new TRV and not a TRV extension. A TRV extension only allows you to remain in Canada longer. It does not give you a new TRV which is what allows you to leave and the reenter Canada.

You need to submit an application for a new TRV.
But the thing is that my previous trv is still not expired, how can a new trv be issued if current one is still active?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
But the thin

But the thing is that my previous trv is still not expired, how can a new trv be issued if current one is still active?
I don't understand the question. They would just issue a new TRV with a new expiry date.

LartLM

Star Member
Dec 8, 2021
Hello guys,
Hey was your TRV FINALLY approved?