+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV renewal - open work permit holder

mahmou21

Jan 24, 2016
I recently renewed my work permit and I now need to renew my TRV (it was issued with validity to my old passport expiry date). So, I opened myCIC account and chose the option to apply for visitor visa then followed the questionnaire.

At some point, I got asked whether I had a medical exam during the last 12 months or not. As far as I know, I don't need a medical exam for TRV since I am applying from inside Canada. However, because I applied for PR a few months ago, I did the medical tests and if I answer this question by yes, my personalised checklist would show that I am required to provide a proof of medical test. This is confusing. If I just answer no, the checklist won't show that I am required to provide proof of medical ...
What should I do? Answer yes and submit the proof of medical test I used for my PR application? or answer no and explain that in the letter of explanation?

Another issue, the application form that I am prompted to fill is "Application for Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa) Made Outside of Canada (IMM5257)" - this is very confusing too! I am applying from inside Canada ... and I am pretty sure I answered the questionnaire questions correctly. Is this normal?

Finally, and more annoyingly, in the optional documents section, I am asked to provide this form: Schedule 1 - Application for a Temporary Resident Visa Made Outside Canada (IMM 5257). Again, the same issue with the outside Canada part and in the description it actually says "You must provide a Schedule 1 declaration" - so it is not optional?
In this form, there is a section for a 5-years travel history! I don't recall filling this part previously when I applied for TRV. Any idea if I have to fill this form out?

Thanks guys!

marvz21

Jan 20, 2015
I believe your application for permanent residence is not yet approved, and your visa was expired? so I think you have to apply for a new TRV inside Canada.

Apply for a new temporary resident visa from within Canada
If you are a temporary resident in Canada with valid status (that is, you have a valid study permit or work permit), you can apply for a new temporary resident visa to return to Canada before you leave.

You can apply in Canada if:

you are a legally admitted
student or
foreign worker
in Canada with a Canadian residential address,
your current temporary resident status is still valid, and your existing visa counterfoil is expired or was valid for only one entry, and
you need a new temporary resident visa to return to Canada in the near future.

mahmou21

Jan 24, 2016
faisalfahmad said:
hi did you figure this issue out as I am in the same situation. Can someone please help with the answers here. I am running into same issues as the original post
Yes, say no for medicals and explain in the letter. For the other two parts, apparently it is a glitch and CIC is aware of it- so just fill out the applications and submit them. You can call CIC to get confirmation (this is what I did).

Best of luck!

mahmou21

Jan 24, 2016
Yes to your first question and probably yes to the second question as well but not 100% sure. I applied for the TRV after applying for PR.

halcurrent

Mar 18, 2019
Yes, say no for medicals and explain in the letter. For the other two parts, apparently it is a glitch and CIC is aware of it- so just fill out the applications and submit them. You can call CIC to get confirmation (this is what I did).

Best of luck!
Quite helpful. Thank you.