+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV rejected - advise

peishe

May 9, 2018
Hi, I applied for a visitor visa a couple of weeks ago for an upcoming 2-week visit to Montreal after a 10-day trip to Ireland. Just received a rejection on the TRV yesterday and I'm taken quite by surprise. I can see their logic after reading through some of the threads here but would like advice on whether I should apply again or cut my losses and hopefully gain a refund on my flights. I am also about to put in an application for US (was thinking of doing a short trip to NY from Montreal) but uncertain if I should bother now.

Some info in the letter: it said they weren't sure I would leave Canada based on travel history, immigration status, family ties in Canada and in country of residence, length of proposed stay and purpose of visit. They also ticked 'insufficient funds' and 'insufficient documentation of hosts' income'.

So my bg is that I'm a Malaysian student on scholarship (mandatory 6-year bond with gov after graduation although I didn't demonstrate this in application) studying a 5-year course in Australia. Presumably what they gathered from my travel history is regular flights between Australia and Malaysia. I have no immediate family in Australia, and my trip to Canada is to visit my sister, who is on a student visa, and general sightseeing during my semester break. My sister's visa expires coming August. I didn't include her bank statements because I didn't think that would be needed. I am meant to be staying with her and her partner (not mentioned in the application).

I have half a year left on my studies, and I am employed casually in the same position for nearly 4 years now (FT for one year during a study break). I demonstrated that I have $10k between two accounts, $1500 income monthly and allowance from sponsor (although did not show the exact number which is $1200 monthly). FYI AUD is almost at the same rate as CAD at the moment.

From this I can see why they may refuse the application but that doesn't make me feel any less bitter about it - any advice? There is still time to reapply (in the next 3 weeks) but not sure if I want to spend another $100 to have my application rejected twice.

I have not made firm plans for the trip to NY, but I have paid for my application (more bitterness). Interview is in 2 weeks. Should I bother? I could buy new flights from Ireland to NY then flight home from there but can this be done after hearing back from the immigration dept? I can't physically make myself waste more money on plans that don't pan out.

Thanks guys for any input!

PS. any info I have included here was in my supporting documents - except otherwise noted.

Helena R

Jul 3, 2017
What a bummer...

You should go to your canadian consulate and talk to them. Ask if you provide more proof if there are chances when re-applying. You shiuld include a letter of invitation from your sister stating she will supoort you while here.

If you already paid for the us visa maybe you should go, but get better info, papers, job letletters, bank statements, etc. You have to show strong ties to either the country you are now or your home country