+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV refused with "Purpose of visit" remark

msmumbai

Nov 11, 2018
Hi All,

I applied for Temporary resident visa from Mumbai on 08/Nov/2018. During the online process, I was asked a few questions and was presented with a custom document list which included the following
  1. IMM5257E - The visa application form
  2. Travel History (US Visa copy)
  3. Passport
  4. Digital Photo
  5. IMM5707E - Family history
I will be travelling to US on a business trip for 2 weeks in December and will happen to have the weekend off. I was planning to visit the Niagara falls and cross over to the Canada side. So I stated in my visa application the duration of the trip as 2 days only and gave address of a local hotel near Niagara falls where I intend to stay overnight.

A couple of days later, I received a visa refusal letter IMM5621 with the following reason ticked "Purpose of visit".

Just wanted to understand what I could have done differently for a successful application. I have travelled to over 10 countries including many in Europe, Israel, Singapore, Thailand etc and hold a valid US B1/B2 visa. I am married. My spouse is not accompanying me on this trip to US (and Canada).

Thanks

Manpreet_2233

Nov 2, 2017
Hi All,

I applied for Temporary resident visa from Mumbai on 08/Nov/2018. During the online process, I was asked a few questions and was presented with a custom document list which included the following
  1. IMM5257E - The visa application form
  2. Travel History (US Visa copy)
  3. Passport
  4. Digital Photo
  5. IMM5707E - Family history
I will be travelling to US on a business trip for 2 weeks in December and will happen to have the weekend off. I was planning to visit the Niagara falls and cross over to the Canada side. So I stated in my visa application the duration of the trip as 2 days only and gave address of a local hotel near Niagara falls where I intend to stay overnight.

A couple of days later, I received a visa refusal letter IMM5621 with the following reason ticked "Purpose of visit".

Just wanted to understand what I could have done differently for a successful application. I have travelled to over 10 countries including many in Europe, Israel, Singapore, Thailand etc and hold a valid US B1/B2 visa. I am married. My spouse is not accompanying me on this trip to US (and Canada).

Thanks
what was the purpose of visit in Israel or how many days ?

msmumbai

Nov 11, 2018
Not sure why a trip to Israel matters. It was month long trip more than a decade back for some business work. It’s not even stamped on my current passport.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Not sure why a trip to Israel matters. It was month long trip more than a decade back for some business work. It’s not even stamped on my current passport.
Only your travel to visa-required countries in the last 10 years will help i.e. US, UK, Schengen, Australia, NZ.

It does not matter whether or not your current passport has these visas/entry stamps

Reactions: Manpreet_2233

msmumbai

Nov 11, 2018
Only your travel to visa-required countries in the last 10 years will help i.e. US, UK, Schengen, Australia, NZ.

It does not matter whether or not your current passport has these visas/entry stamps
Hi Bryanna

Thanks for the reply. Sorry but I don’t understand it. I was responding to an earlier query posted by another forum member.

My refusal was not based on travel history but on purpose of visit. Any idea what I could have done differently for a successful application?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Thanks for the reply. Sorry but I don’t understand it. I was responding to an earlier query posted by another forum member.
My previous reply was in the same context.

My refusal was not based on travel history but on purpose of visit. Any idea what I could have done differently for a successful application?
Both Purpose of Visit and Travel History refusal reasons are generic refusal grounds when the visa office is not convinced that the applicant is a genuine visitor. You need to evaluate your entire application as a complete package. You must not focus on just the stated refusal reason.

For example:
1. You can see the Niagara Falls from the US side. You don't need to visit Canada to see it. It does look much better from the Canadian side though :)

2. You have not demonstrated a well-defined purpose of visit i.e. a detailed day-by-day plan with expense estimates down to the last cent + travel expenses.... and proved that you can pay for this visit.

3. Did you make hotel reservations + included this in your application? Don't pay/have the reservations charged to your credit card before your visa is approved.

4. You have not demonstrated that you have strong ties to India which will ensure that you will leave Canada (as well as the US) after your sightseeing visit/business visit

msmumbai

Nov 11, 2018
My previous reply was in the same context.

Both Purpose of Visit and Travel History refusal reasons are generic refusal grounds when the visa office is not convinced that the applicant is a genuine visitor. You need to evaluate your entire application as a complete package. You must not focus on just the stated refusal reason.

For example:
1. You can see the Niagara Falls from the US side. You don't need to visit Canada to see it. It does look much better from the Canadian side though :)
Thanks for the suggestions and for your reply.

My plan was to be in Canada for a day or two (weekend) since I have to be back in the US for business meetings. And yes Niagara Falls looks much better from Canada side. :)

2. You have not demonstrated a well-defined purpose of visit i.e. a detailed day-by-day plan with expense estimates down to the last cent + travel expenses.... and proved that you can pay for this visit.
I didn’t include any other documents including day by day itinerary since the online portal didn’t ask for any.

3. Did you make hotel reservations + included this in your application? Don't pay/have the reservations charged to your credit card before your visa is approved.
I made hotel reservations, didn't include a copy of it as there was no place to upload it. I mentioned the hotel name/address on the visa form.
4. You have not demonstrated that you have strong ties to India which will ensure that you will leave Canada (as well as the US) after your sightseeing visit/business visit
Thanks, not sure why a visa officer would conclude that after my extensive travel history to Austria, Germany, Poland, Singapore etc.

To be honest, Canada is not very high on my list as a tourist. But a visa refusal is bad on the profile. More reading on the matter tells me that I may not have been asked for documents because of the travel history and a valid US visa. To confirm I created one more application and answered No to the valid US visa question and was presented with a whole bunch of documents to be submitted.

I believe the online portal should present these document list as recommended (if not required) for someone with extensive travel history/valid US visa.

Last edited:

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I didn’t include any other documents including day by day itinerary since the online portal didn’t ask for any.
The document checklist is only a guide/suggested list of necessary documents. An applicant is free to include any/as many evidence as required to prove the purpose of visit + finances + strong ties to his/her country of residence.

I made hotel reservations, didn't include a copy of it as there was no place to upload it. I mentioned the hotel name/address on the visa form.
Documents that cannot be uploaded to any particular section can be combined as a single PDF file and uploaded to the Optional/Letter of Explanation section.

Thanks, not sure why a visa officer would conclude that after my extensive travel history to Austria, Germany, Poland, Singapore etc.
Your travel to Austria and Germany would count assuming it was for a similar purpose (tourism) + relatively short-stay.

Did you include a Travel History explanation + did you scan these visas?

To be honest, Canada is not very high on my list as a tourist. But a visa refusal is bad on the profile.
You may want to reapply. I would recommend you go through this forum for suggestions. If you need any further advice then you can ask here.

You would need to declare this visa refusal when you reapply to Canada + for any other visa applications to other countries.... anytime in the future.

More reading on the matter tells me that I may not have been asked for documents because of the travel history and a valid US visa. To confirm I created one more application and answered No to the valid US visa question and was presented with a whole bunch of documents to be submitted.
Your application was processed as a CAN+ one. That said, did you include a scan of your US visa + any entry stamps from previous visits to the US?

I believe the online portal should present these document list as recommended (if not required) for someone with extensive travel history/valid US visa.
Think of it this way:
This 'recommended' list could be misused by applicants who may not be genuine visitors

msmumbai

Nov 11, 2018
The document checklist is only a guide/suggested list of necessary documents. An applicant is free to include any/as many evidence as required to prove the purpose of visit + finances + strong ties to his/her country of residence.

Documents that cannot be uploaded to any particular section can be combined as a single PDF file and uploaded to the Optional/Letter of Explanation section.
There wasn't Letter of Explanation section as far as I remember. There was "Client Information" in optional list but very little explanation as to what was required to be uploaded. I have done many visa applications in the past for both tourism and business. Instructions are usually very clear. For Eg: US doesn't give any checklist for visitor visa and asks the applicant to provide any information that they think may be relevant in order to obtain the visa. Schengen countries on the other hand have a very specific checklist that they want from the applicants. It is very natural to assume that if the online system is dishing out a tailor made checklist for an applicant then those are the only documents that embassy/consulate expects. If they need more information, they should ask.

Your travel to Austria and Germany would count assuming it was for a similar purpose (tourism) + relatively short-stay.

Did you include a Travel History explanation + did you scan these visas?
Visit to Austria, Germany were for tourism - 3 weeks in total. I submitted the IMM5257b as CSE a day later but had attached all the visas/stamps with the passport scan and travel history.

You may want to reapply. I would recommend you go through this forum for suggestions. If you need any further advice then you can ask here.

You would need to declare this visa refusal when you reapply to Canada + for any other visa applications to other countries.... anytime in the future.
Honestly putting those documents together for a day / overnight trip to Niagara falls is little too much. Probably in future when I wish to have a longer visit to Canada I may reapply. It's definitely on my list of countries to visit.

Your application was processed as a CAN+ one. That said, did you include a scan of your US visa + any entry stamps from previous visits to the US?
Yes I included the US visa copy.

Think of it this way:
This 'recommended' list could be misused by applicants who may not be genuine visitors
Not sure how a recommended list can be misused. If only, it will help visa officers make an informed decision by reviewing list of documents that really are needed instead of making it a guessing game for the applicant. It's not as if the online portal is not dishing out a document checklist.

Thank you again.

yug

Mar 4, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Di this Chandigarh embassy open on weekend, I mean they work inside..
I applied for my brother n his family got TRV.
Processing time from India is 23days, but today for him it’s already 25days.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Di this Chandigarh embassy open on weekend, I mean they work inside..
I applied for my brother n his family got TRV.
Processing time from India is 23days, but today for him it’s already 25days.
Processing times published on the IRCC website are only estimates. The actual processing time will depend on the application