+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV refused once --- any impact on spouse PR sponsorship

canadian_J

May 13, 2010
I need some information about spouse sponsorship process. I am Permanent Resident of Canada and live in Canada since 2004.

I recently visited my home country in end of April 2010 and got engaged. My marriage has been planned for August.

My fiancé recently applied for Canada visitor visa in March to visit her brother in Montreal in May for 3 weeks along with her parents but was refused due to lack of strong ties to home country.

Will any previous refusal have an impact on her PR application in future....

Please let me know.

cheers

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
It shouldn't have any effect. Lack of strong ties to the home country becomes irrelevant when Canada is deciding whether someone should get a residency visa.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Refused TRV applications have an impact on PR applications. If a PR applicant has a history of trying various ways to get into Canada, a marriage to a Canadian just looks like his or her latest attempt to enter Canada. If so, the PR will be refused. TRV refusals are noted front and center on the CAIPS notes, for example.
However, your fiancee only has one. Too bad it was before your engagement, not after. Just explain it well with supporting documents in the PR application and it should be OK.
Refused TRVs make the visa officers suspicious, so up the amount of supporting evidence you send. It doesn't mean a definite 'no'.

meairplane

May 8, 2010
Siberia
Category........
Visa Office......
Moscow
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-04-2010
File Transfer...
02-06-2010
Med's Done....
27-12-2009
VISA ISSUED...
07-09-2010
Please, don't confuse people here. TRV refusal has nothing to do with the actual immigration process. They might want you to come for an interview and ask some additional questions but that's about it. Don't worry, it WILL NOT affect your PRV.

SadGirl:(

Jul 20, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Reading this post has me concerned now! My husbands PR application is in process still and it has been in process for quite some time now. If he tries to apply for a visitors visa, will this have any impact on our spousal sponsorship application? For example, if he applies for a visitor's visa and let's say it gets rejeceted, will that have an affect on our spousal sponsorship application???

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
June 22, 10/August 31, 10 (to NYC)
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
No, sadgirl, it won't. The concern that the prior poster had was that if the person applied for TRVs before the sponorship multiple times or something and then get married and try as a PR that it may look like they're just trying to get into Canada. Even then, it's probably not enough for a rejection so I wouldn't think that most people would have to worry about that.

You have been waiting for PR a long time and you want to visit. Even if it's rejected it won't matter because it's a perfectly understandable situation.

I

iarblue

Like i said they are two different applications and applying for a TRV to visit your Girlfriend,Boyfriend has not effect on the PR.They realize people will try to get to see their significant other its only human nature.Just because you got married after you applied for the TRV?Maybe the TRV was to get to Canada for a wedding,they understand this.Someone had to get the visa to go to the other country to get married.
Mine tried was refused,then i tried was approved so that pretty much decided where we were to marry.If you are married the chances you will never get a TRV to visit your spouse after the process is in.

SadGirl:(

Jul 20, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That would be highly unfair of them to deny a visitors visa just because there is a spousal sponsorship in process. Leaving couples apart for nearly two years is bad enough, but denying a visit, that's adding insult to injury.

I called the call centre today and they told me that if my husband wants to apply for a visitors visa to visit me in Canada it would have no affect on our spousal sponsorship which is in process. Whether the visitors visa is approved or denied, it has no effect on the application that is already in process. However, iarblue, you make a good point that there is a high chance that it will be rejected because the visitors visa application will also be processed in the same visa office that the spousal sponsorship application is being sponsored.

I

iarblue

Well its not just that immigration just gets nervous that after your PR is done and if it is a refusal you wont leave the country,or your visitors visa expires you wont leave then they have another person here illegally thats what they think even though you know in your heart that you would leave if you had to they just dont take anyones word for it,and the chances you will leave having a husband here is greater.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
The consensus seems to be that it doesn't matter, but I am speaking from experience here. Previous TRV refusals make CIC suspicious. My husband applied for a TRV in 2003 and another one in 2007. Both were in order to visit me, his girlfriend. Both were refused. His PR application, after we got married, was in 2008. Those TRV applications were red flags, noted right at the front of the CAIPS notes - and not in a good way. This in spite of the fact that both TRVs were so he could visit ME, which you would think would strengthen our case, not weaken it, especially since the 2003 TRV proves we knew each other then.
Still, if you can explain the TRVs, and especially if you can prove they were to visit the spouse, they shouldn't hurt. Just keep in mind that you will have to explain them.
TRV applications AFTER the PR application are not seen as red flags, though they are usually refused.

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
June 22, 10/August 31, 10 (to NYC)
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
canadianwoman said:
TRV applications AFTER the PR application are not seen as red flags, though they are usually refused.
Right, that's what I was referring to when I answered sadgirl's question :)