+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV Refused for Sister - Need Guidance Please !

romeo17

Aug 19, 2014
Hi

My sister applied for TRV to visit me in Canada in March but was refused based on below grounds
  • Travel History
  • Family ties in Canada and country of residence (India)
  • Personal assets and financial status
Purpose of visit - Attend my wedding ceremony in August.
Duration of visit - Around 6 weeks.(Ticket was not attached in application but we have bought the ticket, same return flight as mom's return flight)

We are planning to apply again and use below information to respond to concerns in "letter of support"
  • When is the suitable time to apply again (Wedding is in the beginning of August) ?
  • Travel History - Only travel outside India is to Malaysia & Singapore in 2012-13. I understand this doesn't count as travel history but is there any other way to respond?
  • Family ties in Canada and country of residence - I am PR of Canada living here for 3 years now, stable job and income. However to establish family ties in India, we'll make below points
    • We are the only three in family, retired mom lives with sister in India, and has chronic diseases which require regular medical treatment in India, hence sister will have to go back to take care of her. We'll show mom's medical records
    • Can we mention only 3 weeks visit to Canada in the second application? Sister has a job, can get NOC from the employer stating 3 weeks leave from work.
    • Mom will also be visiting, already has TRV (visited me last year as well) and returning after wedding. Both tickets are bought but mom's ticket has 4 months duration, sister has 6 weeks, return flights are same. Can I mention sister will return back in same flight without ticket?
    • Sister has two plots of land, but papers were not translated to English, will attach those in translated versions this time to show her assets and ties to home country
    • There is a house co-owned by all three of us, shall we attach that house papers as well?
  • Personal assets and financial status -
    • Unfortunately sister's current job doesn't pay much. However there are stocks in her demat account worth more than $20000 for more than an year now. This was not attached in the first application.
    • Also the two plots of land as financial asset would work as personal asset I assume. Total value might be $20000
    • There was transfer of money in and out of her bank account (creation of FD and dilution) in Feb/March for the first application, which might not look good, but can't do anything about it. Can sell $10,000 of the stocks to show liquid assets for travel expenses, is it a good idea?
    • Further to that, can affix credit card statements, demat account statements, bank account statements for past 6months/1year, is there anything else to add here?
Would really appreciate if experts/seniors could help and guide us so that we can create a stronger application the second time.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Let’s address your points in order.

1. Travel History - there’s nothing you can do about this in the next two months, so leave this one aside.

2. Family Ties & Financial Assets - Your being in Canada is actually working against this application. Your sister is single and - in IRCC’s opinion - has no compelling reason to return , such as a spouse or a child back in India.

I don’t think showing your moms medical history as a reason for your sister to return is a good idea. Your mom is traveling to Canada with your sister, so this doesn’t make sense, and in the worst case can lead to IRCC thinking that your mom and sister will both overstay.

You should definitely mention the duration of the visit and the reason for it.

The NOC from work doesn’t mean much. If she was planning to overstay, how would this stop her?

Do you have any other family in India? For example, can you state that your sister lives close to your extended family and is involved with the lives of any nephews and nieces? Something that shows that she isn’t just all alone in India and therefore wacan’t easily leave.

What about her job? Does she work in a company where she can show that she has good career prospects, even if she isn’t making much money right now? Is she due any promotions? Or maybe she is eligible for pension if she works another 2 years?

Yes, show all the assets she has. However I don’t know if selling stock to show cash makes sense. That might be counterproductive since it may indicate that she is closing out her portfolio ahead of decamping to Canada.

Ask your sister to give a compelling reason why she doesn’t want to live in Canada for good. It could be as simple as saying “I have spent my entire life living in the same town in India and have a strong social circle, lots of friends, and have no reason to want to leave.” Flesh this out with some detail.

What about future studies in India? Or sitting for the UPSC? Maybe your sister wants to do that?

Basically, ask yourself how you can prove that she will leave. The reasons have to feel honest and true. Your sister can write a letter explaining all the reasons.

IRCC officers are only human and if you can give them a good reason to believe you, your chances of getting a visa will improve. Of course, you also have to meet the financial and other documentary requirements, but it sounds like that should be ok this time around.

Beyond that, there’s nothing much you can do. Young, single applicants with weak ties to their home country are always fighting an uphill battle.

Good luck! I hope she gets it.

romeo17

Aug 19, 2014
Let’s address your points in order.

1. Travel History - there’s nothing you can do about this in the next two months, so leave this one aside.

2. Family Ties & Financial Assets - Your being in Canada is actually working against this application. Your sister is single and - in IRCC’s opinion - has no compelling reason to return , such as a spouse or a child back in India.

I don’t think showing your moms medical history as a reason for your sister to return is a good idea. Your mom is traveling to Canada with your sister, so this doesn’t make sense, and in the worst case can lead to IRCC thinking that your mom and sister will both overstay.

You should definitely mention the duration of the visit and the reason for it.

The NOC from work doesn’t mean much. If she was planning to overstay, how would this stop her?

Do you have any other family in India? For example, can you state that your sister lives close to your extended family and is involved with the lives of any nephews and nieces? Something that shows that she isn’t just all alone in India and therefore wacan’t easily leave.

What about her job? Does she work in a company where she can show that she has good career prospects, even if she isn’t making much money right now? Is she due any promotions? Or maybe she is eligible for pension if she works another 2 years?

Yes, show all the assets she has. However I don’t know if selling stock to show cash makes sense. That might be counterproductive since it may indicate that she is closing out her portfolio ahead of decamping to Canada.

Ask your sister to give a compelling reason why she doesn’t want to live in Canada for good. It could be as simple as saying “I have spent my entire life living in the same town in India and have a strong social circle, lots of friends, and have no reason to want to leave.” Flesh this out with some detail.

What about future studies in India? Or sitting for the UPSC? Maybe your sister wants to do that?

Basically, ask yourself how you can prove that she will leave. The reasons have to feel honest and true. Your sister can write a letter explaining all the reasons.

IRCC officers are only human and if you can give them a good reason to believe you, your chances of getting a visa will improve. Of course, you also have to meet the financial and other documentary requirements, but it sounds like that should be ok this time around.

Beyond that, there’s nothing much you can do. Young, single applicants with weak ties to their home country are always fighting an uphill battle.

Good luck! I hope she gets it.
Thanks a lot ! I`ll consider all these in second application.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Consider all of the above and add that if you want, you and your spouse can invite her, showing your own income and bank accounts to ensure that her financial needs will be met during her trip and that you will also guarantee that she does not overstay. Sure there is nothing you could physically do to stop her overstaying if she really wanted to but your word that you will try might count for something.

Harsimrat117

Star Member
Sep 9, 2017
Hi romoe,

Do you know how long after the rejection of visitor visa to canada, we can re-apply it back ?

I am trying for my parents and it got rejected today.

I want to re-apply as soon as possible.

Please let me know your opinion.

Thanks,
Harsimrat

romeo17

Aug 19, 2014
Hi romoe,

Do you know how long after the rejection of visitor visa to canada, we can re-apply it back ?

I am trying for my parents and it got rejected today.

I want to re-apply as soon as possible.

Please let me know your opinion.

Thanks,
Harsimrat
Hi

I have waited for a month now and will be re-applying soon. I don't think there is timeline how soon or later you can re-apply. The rejection points need to be addressed properly, however much time they may take.

I read through various other posts and many say don't rush the re-apply, take your time to prepare proper reply.

I am also new so I might be wrong.