+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV or OWP for Dependent Spouse??

jgalindo

Jul 22, 2015
Hello Guys,

I will be doing an MBA in Canada, I applied for my student visa, I got a message asking me to send my passport to the embassy and I am waiting to get my passport back with the visa. (sent passport on 20 Jul)

I have a wife and a kid, and I want them to live in Canada with me during the 2 years of MBA.

Here are my questions:

1- Should my wife apply for a TRV for the duration of MBA (my son doesn’t need because he is a US citizen) or should she apply for an OWP for the same duration?
[There are conflicting threads saying that should not apply to TRV as chances to get rejected is higher, but others say that OWP is almost sure to get rejected as well]. I know you need to show ties to your home country and proof that you are going to be in Canada temporarily
2- If applying for TRV, should she wait until I am already in Canada? Or can she do it now while I am waiting for my passport back? (This is liked with Q5)
3- If Applying for OWP does that mean she needs to work during her stay? Or can she work if she desires to, and for a period of time (part time)
4- When starting the TRV application at cic, I reviewed the required documents. "Purpose of travel" asks that she needs to show she will be here temporarily? They are asking a return flight for her, or travel itinerary. I havent bought flight tickets. I expect her to be with me during these 2 years.
5- Another required document is an "Invitation letter" that I have to write to her. Can I write this letter now? stating that I will be doing and MBA and I want her to come with me to Canada during my studies. Or should I wait until I actually enter Canada to apply? I don’t want to wait that long to make her application :'(.

Any responses are appreciated! :D

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
jgalindo said:
1- Should my wife apply for a TRV for the duration of MBA (my son doesn't need because he is a US citizen) or should she apply for an OWP for the same duration?
[There are conflicting threads saying that should not apply to TRV as chances to get rejected is higher, but others say that OWP is almost sure to get rejected as well]. I know you need to show ties to your home country and proof that you are going to be in Canada temporarily
OWP is the way to go. A TRV is for visitors and your wife and kid want to LIVE in Canada.

Seems she is not from a visa exempt country, right? then you will have to apply for both.

First apply for the spousal OWP, then when that is given apply for the TRV.

jgalindo said:
2- If applying for TRV, should she wait until I am already in Canada? Or can she do it now while I am waiting for my passport back? (This is liked with Q5)
You need the Study Permit as part of the paperwork for the application, as it will be depending on that.

jgalindo said:
3- If Applying for OWP does that mean she needs to work during her stay? Or can she work if she desires to, and for a period of time (part time)
OWP makes her a valid resident for those desired two years.

jgalindo said:
4- When starting the TRV application at cic, I reviewed the required documents. "Purpose of travel" asks that she needs to show she will be here temporarily? They are asking a return flight for her, or travel itinerary. I havent bought flight tickets. I expect her to be with me during these 2 years.
Purpose of travel: come with you.
Itinerary: not applicable.

jgalindo said:
5- Another required document is an "Invitation letter" that I have to write to her. Can I write this letter now? stating that I will be doing and MBA and I want her to come with me to Canada during my studies. Or should I wait until I actually enter Canada to apply? I don't want to wait that long to make her application :'(.
Not needed, but you can do it.

theres

Star Member
Nov 19, 2017
Hello Guys,

I will be doing an MBA in Canada, I applied for my student visa, I got a message asking me to send my passport to the embassy and I am waiting to get my passport back with the visa. (sent passport on 20 Jul)

I have a wife and a kid, and I want them to live in Canada with me during the 2 years of MBA.

Here are my questions:

1- Should my wife apply for a TRV for the duration of MBA (my son doesn’t need because he is a US citizen) or should she apply for an OWP for the same duration?
5- Another required document is an "Invitation letter" that I have to write to her. Can I write this letter now? stating that I will be doing and MBA and I want her to come with me to Canada during my studies. Or should I wait until I actually enter Canada to apply? I don’t want to wait that long to make her application :'(.

Any responses are appreciated! :D

Hi Jgalindo,

Your Spousal application got approved?

Please let me know!

Thanks