Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-12-2013
Med's Done....
26-11-2013
Hi, we're hoping to move to Canada ASAP and I just want to make sure we get the visa order right. I'm hoping someone can recommend the best way to proceed. I am Canadian. My husband is dual UK/NZ citizen and we live in NZ. He is eligible for a IEC through NZ. I have so many questions depending on when we apply for each visa and when we arrive in Canada. Here's the timeline that will work best for me, but of course we're looking for the timeline that's going to work best for the immigration folks.

I go to Canada now.
He applies for IEC now. Can he come to Canada on TRV while he's waiting for IEC and then go to the USA for a day to activate the IEC?
Or he waits for IEC in NZ and then comes to Canada.
We get all the paper work, medicals, police certificates ready for the PR application before he comes to Canada.
We apply for PR Outland (through Sydney or London - I guess we'll just look at the processing times, but they're about the same at the moment).
Can we apply for PR while he's on IEC? We'll likely apply for PR soon after we're both in Canada working, so that PR comes through before his IEC expires.
I'm wondering if he can apply for IEC (on NZ passport) and PR (on UK passport) at the same time?

I hope someone can help with my questions and maybe recommend the best order to do this in.

Help??

Westie

Star Member
Jun 20, 2013
SK, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20/6/2013
AOR Received.
11/7/2013
File Transfer...
18/7/2013
Med's Done....
15/3/2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14/10/2013
LANDED..........
Already Here
canuknz said:
Hi, we're hoping to move to Canada ASAP and I just want to make sure we get the visa order right. I'm hoping someone can recommend the best way to proceed. I am Canadian. My husband is dual UK/NZ citizen and we live in NZ. He is eligible for a IEC through NZ. I have so many questions depending on when we apply for each visa and when we arrive in Canada. Here's the timeline that will work best for me, but of course we're looking for the timeline that's going to work best for the immigration folks.

I go to Canada now.
He applies for IEC now. Can he come to Canada on TRV while he's waiting for IEC and then go to the USA for a day to activate the IEC?
We get all the paper work, medicals, police certificates ready for the PR application before he comes to Canada.
We apply for PR Outland (through Sydney or London - I guess we'll just look at the processing times, but they're about the same at the moment).
Can we apply for PR while he's on IEC? We'll likely apply for PR soon after we're both in Canada working, so that PR comes through before his IEC expires.
I'm wondering if he can apply for IEC (on NZ passport) and PR (on UK passport) at the same time?

I hope someone can help with my questions and maybe recommend the best order to do this in.

Help??
Hi yes he can come as a visitor then when the IEC comes through then he can drive to the border and re enter Canada.
And yes he can apply for a PR while on an IEC visa. I did it that way.
Have a look in the family class sponsorship section of this forum, You will be able to see both the Sydney and London timelines and have a lot of experienced people to help guide you. I just got my passport request through Sydney and its taken 4 months that's including the month in Mississuaga

Westie

Star Member
Jun 20, 2013
SK, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20/6/2013
AOR Received.
11/7/2013
File Transfer...
18/7/2013
Med's Done....
15/3/2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14/10/2013
LANDED..........
Already Here
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/can-i-enter-canada-on-tourist-visa-then-activate-iec-a-week-later-t164232.0.html

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
canuknz said:
I go to Canada now.
I strongly advise you guys to submit the PR app as soon as it's ready, even from NZ. Don't wait until you are both in Canada working, that could take months.

He can't get a TRV, as he is visa-exempt. Visa-exempt can enter Canada as a visitor without a visa for up to 6 months. Because he has a Canadian spouse, he might face increased questioning at the border. If you guys are able to enter together, border officers seem to be easier to deal with when the foreign spouse enters Canada with their Canadian spouse.

Applying with the different passports is fine. A person with dual nationalities is allowed to choose which one they use.